America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Are all the plans in place?

I just read that the steak special at Ellis Island is now $9.95.

luci :wave
We will be there on 29th March. We get in really late, but if you are still there we could get together the next day. Currently booked at Excalibur for the first week.
That me too pebbles 29th March from Manchester Booked in tower room Luxor for two weeks a deal from smartervegas
Steak Special at Ellis Island now $9.95, so that's a $3 increase since 2010 :really Not quite the great offer it was at $4.99 back in 2007 or whenever it was. I've got some Ellis Island coupons with the LVA MRB so will be heading there anyway.

Plans are light at the moment Luci. I think this is going to be the first trip we don't really plan much at all and just go with the flow. We have the three Rest.Com certificates to use and we will be using the MRB for a few buffets and shows but I don't think we are going to book any shows in advance. We may see if Viva Elvis is on offer over there as there won't be another chance it seems but undecided, I'm tending to think we've done Cirque now, even though we haven't seen them all.

We leave on the 30th btw.
Hi

Going to Vegas for the first time in July with my daughter and my mum. I'm getting a bit worried about how i'm going to
cope with the heat when we get there. I've never been anywhere as hot as this before.

We have to go then so if fits in with my daughters exams.

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks
Book a hotel with a nice pool and keep jumping in it!!!!!!!!!!.........Dont worry air conditioning everywhere even in the street lifts
thanks, I'll just spend all day in the pool or inside. :D
It will be very very hot, but everywhere is air conditioned.

Some people mock when you say, "but it's a dry heat.........." I don't like the heat, however we have been there in September when it was 103F and I coped just fine.

Make sure you carry a bottle of water and some lip balm as it does dry out your skin and lips.

The Ellis Island steak was still $6.95 at the beginning of January. That's some price hike.
Ju, no we've STILL not booked. Think we've decided but just not booked it. We're off to India next month so have been finalising our plans for that as a priority but we still need to get Vegas booked :cheers

We drove down to York last weekend for 1 night in York, 1 night in Newcastle. I had sort of decided it would help me to make the decision about the drive into Vegas etc. The York trip was just fine, so I have no issues with a 4 hour or so drive, so all good.

Think we're going to go Saturday to Saturday (2 weeks), arriving LA about 5pm or so on the Saturday we'll spend 2 nights possibly around Marina del Rey (been recommended), and then drive into Vegas on the Monday (Labor Day). We'll have 11 nights in Vegas if we decide to stop one more night in LA or somewhere on the way back (flight is about 7pm I think, so we don't actually need to be back in LA night before). Then I start to realise it cuts the Vegas part down to 11 nights.....do we want to be there longer than that.....oh dear. Decisions decisions. :que
I still don't know if we'll be going this year or not. I'm looking for a job at the moment so can't make plans for Vegas until I know what I'm doing. We hope to go late September again if possible. We've just come back from a couple of weeks in Thailand so we want to plan the next one as soon as possible!! :D
Could use some help guys....

Going to Vegas in Jan 2013, first visit, probably for 6 nights. We are looking at a Go Room with view at Flamingo but I was wondering if it is worth a split stay, maybe 3 nights in one resort and another 3 elsewhere.

If we were to do this, what resort would you recommend for the 2nd half of our stay?
Hi David and welcome to the Vegas thread.

First question, which dates in January are you thinking of going? Check your dates in the Convention Calendar. CES is in early January is a massive convention with 140,000 delegates and room rates sky rocket for those dates. Anything over 20-30,000 would have an impact.

http://www.vegasmeansbusiness.com/planning-tools/convention-calendar/

Also be aware that room rates for Friday and Saturday are at least double Sun-Thurs so stay at the cheaper property over the weekend.

What is you budget per night, preferably in USD?

With the Flamingo being as centre strip as you can get, you can either go north or south.

What rate have you found for the Flamingo? Check it against the Friends and Family rate here:

http://www.caesars.com/vegasvacation/

Note that there are no resort fees at any Caesars property, but most others add up to $20 + tax a night. However internet access is payable if there is no resort fee.

http://www.vegaschatter.com/story/2012/1/3/211037/0031/vegas-travel/Las_Vegas_Resort_Fees_The_2012_Guide

http://www.lasvegasadvisor.com/showtable.cfm?id=33

Also sign up to http://www.smartervegas.com and you will get the latest offers sent to you. It is far too early for any decent promos, but you could start looking 4-6 months out unless there is a large convention when I would start looking earlier.

As far as splitting your trip, 3 nights is the minimum I would stay anywhere before moving. However for a first trip I'm not sure it's worth it as you could lose a good part of the moving day. You generally have to be out of your room by 11am and may not get into the next one until 4pm. That said, you could leave your bags with the bell desk at the second hotel, check in and come back later when the room is ready so not really an issue.

Another option would be to book the 6 nights at the Flamingo, but stay one night at one of the top end hotels like the Cosmopolitan, leaving your luggage at the Flamingo. for that I would check http://www.lowcostusa.com , http://www.ba.com , http://www.atlaschoice.com

Hopefully some of the others will chip in with a few more opinions.

Luci had excellent info for you.
I personally wouldn't bother switching hotels on your first trip. It can take a bit of time out of your day when you only have six. Flamingo is in a perfect location to explore the strip. Maybe you could split your next trip, because i'm sure there will be one in your future.
Thanks Luci, great info.

Dates: approx 21/1-27/1
Budget: $150-200 per night

There is a convention during our dates of approx. 40,000

We have decided on the Flamingo as we would like a high quality room in a fun resort with a view of the fountains (well, 1st visit, why not!). Going for the Go Room with view.

Believe it or not, I have been watching the prices daily since July (!) and at the moment the prices for our dates (just released) are the lowest I have seen apart from what was offered in the Black Friday sale (now $790 + tax, black Friday was $645). I am thinking of booking to secure this rate as I know that I can amend/cancel.

An alternative is the Red Room Luxury at Paris but I think that the view is better from the Flamingo room as you don't have to look through the Eifell Tower!

I take both of your points regarding switching mid week, it's not a good idea and I will scrap that.

Thanks again, and thanks to pebbles whose advice I have used on a few occasions via facebook.

Finally, it says that I have a PM but it won't let me view it (it says I am not authorised).
dgutte wrote:

Believe it or not, I have been watching the prices daily since July (!) and at the moment the prices for our dates (just released) are the lowest I have seen apart from what was offered in the Black Friday sale (now $790 + tax, black Friday was $645). I am thinking of booking to secure this rate as I know that I can amend/cancel.

Finally, it says that I have a PM but it won't let me view it (it says I am not authorised).

Is that price for the 6 nights? If so the link I gave above can beat that at $654.

With a budget of $150-200 a night I would go for the Cosmopolitan studio Fountain View for your first 3 nights if you can find an offer. The Cosmopolitan site doesn't go that far and the rates are high going direct this far out.

It is too early for any promos so keep looking, but you are right to book now at a rate you are happy with as you can cancel up to 72 hours before arrival.

I am checking out your PM status and will get back to you.

dgutte Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:35 am

Please try now to access your PM.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.