America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Just over two weeks to go for us. I'm starting to get excited, but am trying not to. I have a hospital appointment on Wednesday that may make a difference to the type of holiday we have.

Hopefully all will work out and I'll be full of beans throughout the trip.

I. Can't. Wait!
Very quiet generally on the USA forums so I thought I would do another update!

One week to go now. The Virgin flight to Vegas left on time today, the weather looks as though it will improve latter part of next week (this weekend looks awful) and most importantly we bought some currency yesterday at an OK rate at M&S. The rate has been hovering around $1.52-$1.54 for a few days now so we bit the bullet and got $385 in hard cash. The rest will be TC's I think, still a viable option for Vegas IMHO as I don't want to get stung on ATM fees.

Planning has halted really now that we are so close. We have binned the Neon Museum idea, but will definitely be going to the Mob Museum ($4 off coupon per person through LVA online helps), the Las Vegas Wranglers ice hockey match against Alaska, and Gordie Brown. Anything else we do will be spur of the moment.

To say we are both looking forward to this trip is an understatement. First visit in 4 years.

Pleased also to confirm there will be an exclusive trip report to be posted to HT upon my return.......

Ju
Have a great trip Ju. The planning doesn't really stop until you are on that plane.

I thought we were sorted with our hotels. However I found a cracking deal on an Augustus tower rooms at Caesars Palace that I really couldn't pass up so that got added to the itinerary.

Also found that Absinthe has been extended so will book that when we get there. Hoping to book another show over the weekend when the tickets go on sale.

luci :wave
All my shows are booked and paid for apart from Tournament of kings that I cant book without the Chicken until I get there.
So all my Cash is for Nice restaurants beer wine and the tables.
I have a list of thing I would like to do that will be Impossible to do them all.
This year I am defiantly going to Joel Robouchon's But much as I would like I will not be able to do the 16 course Job as I am not entitled to the free burger at Fremont street or able to finish two courses at the Cheesecake Factory :cheers

I am sure I will be fatter on my return :que

Hope the Weather improves. :sun2
Never tried Joel Robouchon, is it good? What is the average price of an entree / steak?

Any other restaurants you can recommend?

Eating out is a big part of our Vegas trips. We have 4 restaurants booked so far - Mix, Envy the Steakhouse, Biscayne and Casa di Amore. Will probably also go to the Harley Davidson Cafe, PF Chang's and Stripburger.

Have you ever been to the House of Blues? I've had a restaurant.com cert for a couple of years that I haven't used yet.

Joel is a little OK very expensive He was the only restaurant to have Three Michelin stars when they had the money to review( no restaurant in Vegas now have stars) but the quality is perfection both service and food check it out on MGM site....There is also a less formal part next door L'ATELIER DE JOËL ROBUCHON Still very Nice http://govegas.about.com/b/2012/03/05/two-burger-in-las-vegas.htm
We also like Mix and also always go to Alize Palms (brilliant view) owned by André Rochat also at Monte Carlo

Have a good un
Thanks.

Never been to Mix before so looking forward to it. We are staying at THE Hotel that night. We have been to Alize a few times and really enjoyed it even though it is very expensive. After having wine the first couple of times I started having a soft drink as I refuse to pay $18 for a small 125ml glass of wine.

We stayed at The hotel last time it was very nice worth going to mix just for the trip in the lift.
Totally agree about the wine mark up it is mad seems to be the done thing in most of vegas the odd night i just switch off and pay it not wanting to spend loads on a meal and spoil it for myself.
I also do the wine included Buffets at LVH and Aria
I do like a drink. :cheers
I'm not fussed about having a drink although I normally have a glass of wine with a meal. If we find a bottle of wine in Vegas for $44 or less then we get a bottle, but very few place have bottles anywhere near that.

I have just booked tickets to see Elton John at the Colosseum at Caesars! As it is just pure luck whether there is a headliner playing when you are actually there, I am chuffed at this. Also mega chuffed that I managed to score Front Orchestra seats instead of the 2nd Mezz I was expecting to get offered.

Another bonus is that Absinthe has been extended beyond 1 April, which was the latest date I had seen on sale. Will get the tickets when we are there as they hand out $20 off vouchers outside Caesars.

We were toying with going to see Donny and Marie again as we are running out of shows to see, but they are resident so can get tickets any time.

Last year we were in MGM at Tom Colicchio's Craftsteak and two lads were looking at the wine menu the waiter asked them if they needed any help they said they could not find any for about $35 I had to chuckle .

The wine is a lot less off strip I have found At Main St Station and Orleans two Buffets we like the wine was about $10

And we always Stock up on some "California champagne" from the petrol station opposite the Luxor for the room

We have booked for Rod Stewart we said who ever was on at Caesars we were going so it was Rod I would of preferred Elton but he starts the day I get home

I can now say I am going to Vegas Next week roll on the 29th

Paul :cheers
Totally agree about the wine prices. Shocking. I find $44 a bit steep Luci, but also appreciate that you're probably eating at higher end places than us as I know you like to go to the 'meaty' places, whereas we tend to do buffets or Italian places rather than high end.

I've just ordered today's groupon voucher for Gaetano's in Henderson. This will tie in nicely with our intention to spend a few days at Green Valley Ranch :) $20 for $40 worth of food and drinks, looked up the menu (looks good) and reviews also good. :cheers

Still not booked hotels, just got our flights arriving on 31st August, leaving on the 14th I think it was. 15 nights all in, flying to LA though with the intention of driving into Vegas after a couple of nights in LA.

Will start getting more organised soon, just wanted to tell you all about the Groupon deal of the day, in case it is of any interest to anyone.
http://www.groupon.com/deals/gaetanos-ristorante-3?c=button&division=las-vegas&utm_campaign=gaetanos-ristorante-3&s=body&utm_content=all-deals_las-vegas&date=20120320&utm_source=newsletter&p=1&sid=11132165&utm_medium=email&addxe=TEVTTEVZLlJPQkJATlRMV09STEQuQ09N&user=7b7fd8b554d77c2c39257755a8b698f3e6bba461170ddfb9aefbb8be1c2a0f69
Just checked in online with Virgin and now about to leave off work. Need to drop the cat at the cattery and be on the 4pm train Norwich to London and then everything should fall into shape after that.

Will be posting my TR upon my return.

Vegas.....here we come! :tup
Have a great time. I'm right behind you. We leave on the 7 am train to Manchester next Thursday.
Pebbles are you on the same flight as me Virgin at 12:30 vs085 ?
The cases are down just wait for the rain to go then we go
Wee bit of temptation has come my way....

KAYAK has found you ways to save
Fly when fares are low
£471
28 May-4 Jun

Orleans £600, Tropicana £645. We had just been looking for a week in Tenerife around that time, and we're able to get the time off work.....oh dear, what do we do. I guess I'm asking the wrong people if I'm looking for a non-biased opinion here lol :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.