Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Sorry I meant HepA
The nurse said the typhoid injections were a waste of time anyway and not to worry

Your nurse needs to go back to nursing school :roll: and start to live in the real world. :roll:
The type of vaccine that she may be referring to...is no longer used :roll:....
and the type of vaccine the surgery is "buying in" may not be licenced for anyone under the age of 16, but that doesn`t mean that there isn`t an alternative.
I`m no expert, but I have read where school children have been vaccinated in China on a MASS scale with the menA vaccine and adults with the 1-dose parenteral Vi vaccine...and it appears that the cost is involved here....and the only contraditions I have read, is that it must not be given to children under the age of 18 months

As a parent you want to protect your child, and nobody likes to scaremonger, but we have become very complacent in this country regarding diseases, and think it will never happen to us. :roll: :evil:
20 years ago we (UK) had virtually eradicated TB, but it is now back and the statistics are rising fast....which must be blamed on travel and immigration.?

If it were my child....I would take the nurses information with a pinch of salt ...BTW..I`am a retired nurse. :wink:
The first link proves that there are at least 3 different types of Typhoid vaccine.
Go see your doctor armed with this information, this will at least put your mind at rest. :wink:

http://www.healthcarea2z.org/ditem.aspx/84/Typhoid+fever+/
http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/static/-429195237.htm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/healthy_living/travel_health/before_jabstablets.shtml#typhoid
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/typhoidfever1.shtml

besos xxx
sanJi
I have a boy 14 and girl 5 they had their Typhoid jabs yesterday, I asked the nurse about your query mcb and she said your travel clinic must have used a different brand to them. My kids got the typhoid jab and Hep A no problems except very sore arm from the hep a jab.

also http://www.masta.org is a great website that travel clinic also refer to.
I asked the nurse about your query mcb and she said your travel clinic must have used a different brand to them.

Exactly.....they are "buying in" from one supplier, probably the cheapest. :roll:

sanji xxxx
hi all
someone told me there is a new jab you got to get called diphtheria and then you dont need to take maleria tablets does anyone know about this that could help thank you :?:
my wife had this on Friday evening. Its a new jab that combines Diptheria, Tetanus and Polio ( and cost her £10), but no mention of anti - malarial type of drug and the nurse did not say that she would not need malaria tablets.

I hadnt realised that Diptheria was prevalent in Goa. I dont need a tetanus or polio but have not had a diptheria in the past so am in two minds on whether to have it. On the other hand better to have than not to have.
I may be getting a little confused but what was the jab given at school when you are around 14, first they tested with a 5 or 6 pronged implement in the arm to test reaction and if you were OK for this jab they gave it a week or so later. If this is not the diptheria jab then I am sure you were given this is a baby and do not need any top up, any thoughts??
always thought that was for the tetanus
MK61, I thought that test was a preliminary to giving you a t.b. jab.
Hi mk61 the test you described is to check if you need a t.b. injection ,

A friend of mine suffers bad reactions to mossie bites and was offerred an injection from her G. P. I think it was about £17 .
I am going for my injections this week I will find out and up-date everyone. anita :D
hi there just wondering has anyone else not had hepB jab, i went to nurse yesterday for jabs, and she gave me, typhoid, diphtheria-polio-tetanus which is all in 1, and hepA? and she said melaria nearer time, just a bit worried!
hi there went to doctors yesterday and they gave me diphtheria which is a 3-1 injection with tetanus and polio, and DOESNOT CONTAIN A MALARIA DRUG ... thats why got a doctors prescription to get malaria tabs! and now from last year HOL JABS ARE FREE apart from yellow fever and your malaria tablets.... and this was also stated in a leaflet.
Hi no need for hep B that is only suggested Hep A is the Baby you need for Goa. It left my arm sore for about 2 days in total Ouch!!!! I had Typhoid and a tetnus booster. My family and I are going to have the booster for hep A and Typhoid in July then we are covered for 5 or 10 years not sure which.
wonder why we were charged £10 then
hi all
saw the doc today and was told yes diphtheria is a 3 in 1 jab with tetanus but a few years back all the injection were done one by one so some people may need the jabs and children have had diphtheria with the jab from babies
Hi Gooner

Did you have your jabs done at your own NHS surgery? There has been much confusion about this in another thread, but I recently found out the jabs are usually free, as long as you're actually registered with the surgery that gives them. Otherwise, they treat you as a private patient and you have to pay (they often don't give clear information about this)

Hope this helps.
yep, had the jabs at our surgery with the nurse. They even tried to charge me for my 2 year old son, until I argued with them. I have to get mine done soon, but perhaps Ill speak to my local PCT where I was a Non - Executive Director until recently.

Ill let you know what they say, and what the guidelines are.
I think I had Hep B, but only because I was working with children, it's not usually given for holiday makers. I was more at risk due to the work...

Hope this helps....
Rob and Arltogoa are both right. Hep A is the jab for Goa. I had to have Hep B as I volunteer with St John Ambulance and so could come into contact with bodily fluids more. However if you are concerned ring your GP or contact MASTA who should be able to give you any further information you need.

Hope this helps

MDH
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.