Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
went to my local chemists this morning, and they sell a 7 week course of both tablets for £15.50,,,sounds like a good buy does it not
hi shazzer just ordered our anti malaria tabs £1.55 a pack got enough to last till we get to goa thanks for the info great saving and they are the ones the nurse advised us to get when we went for our jabs last week
thanks again , anita and john :D
Does anyone know how much Malarone is and whether it's effective in Goa? Can u buy enough to get you out there and then buy it in Goa? :?
Glad to be of help Johnwoody. Originally got the information from this site. That's why I love this place, found loads and loads of really helpful stuff
Shazzer
Malarone (atovaquone proguanil) costs approx £2.20 per tablet in the UK. Malarone is effective against the p.falciparum mosquito. The areas around Assam (North East India) require the use of Malarone. 1 tab daily, 1 before arriving in your destination and 7 days on return to the UK is the normal regime. You may like to view http://www.malarone.com/ (A GSK Site with a lot of RELIABLE information). I shudder when I read how nonchalant some folk are about not taking an anti malaria preventative.
hi

Off to get my jabs tomorrow and as many of you know the new Diptheria jab is a Diptheria, tetanus, Polio combination.

I dont kneed the tenanus and Polio so wondering if I should bother...is Diptheria an issue in Goa.

would welcome any thoughts and advice

thanks
Your doctor will give you the best option for you I only needed the typhoid and hep b which was combined as i had already had the others. They will suit your individual needs. Hope all goes well not much of a fan of needles myself!
you got more chance of getting knocked down by a tuk-tuk than catching any disease so ive been told :!:
If you follow the correct advice this is probably the case.
"you got more chance of getting knocked down by a tuk-tuk than catching any disease so ive been told"

Never believe what Goan's or UK residents who stay in the coastal areas say unless they are doctors. It's a fact that Malaria is on the increase in Goa. Have you ever been inland 30 or 40km around dusk... lots of mos's.

Malaria tablets don't stop malaria or you getting bitten, it just means that if you do get infected it isn't going to be as bad.

Here's a sobering story..........

A friend of mine who was diabetic died from complications brought on by malaria. He was in Malaysia on tour with a rock band for 3 days, got bitten once, hadn't taken any medications. Collapsed suddenly with liver failure aged 42. God bless him.
going to goa for the first time at the end of march. how long before i go do i have to get any injections/tablets ?
The injections should be about 1 month before you go, Your Dr will advise what you need, they are free.

Malaria tablets take 1 week beforehand, while you are in Goa and 3 weeks after.
Do Paludrine/Avloclor tablets cause any side effects? I wouldn't want them to make me ill and ruin my holiday!

Thanks

Neil
There is no short answer but yes they can cause several side effects and a lot of people complain about the side effects, severe nausea, upset stomachs etc... the choice to take them or not is a personal one and should not be taken lightly everyone is quick to give there own opinion but its YOUR HEALTH and you should make up your own mind.

I suggets you do a search on here you will find plenty to read and will find most regular visitors do not take them but are sensible and use deet spays or creams and plug in mozzie killers in there rooms. avoid early evening mozzie feedtime around water or lights etc.

(I don't & would not use them for Goa but thats "My Choice")

hope this helps

Mids

:wink:
Thanks for the reply Mids.

It's my first time going there so I'll probably play safe and buy the tablets anyway. I'll be using the plug-ins and the sprays as well so hopefully the mosssies will leave me alone.

Cheers

Neil
Going to Goa for 4th time in Feb, staying at Marinha Dourada for 3 wks.
I get my malaria tablets in Goa but I get them for my wife from
http://www.travelpharm.com/ it cost £14 for 8wks supply (1 b4 3 there 4 after).
Good to hear Pammy is still at Starbucks.
Will be there Monday 13th Feb.
:P :lol: :D
Can't wait
We have decided that we will take Avochlor (weekly tabs) and Paludrine (daily tabs) for protection from malaria. We've taken them before and found the side effects to be minimal. We have enough to do us up to the end of our 2 week holiday. Am I right in assuming that we can definitely purchase the equivalent type of tablets in Goa? We will be staying in Candolim, so where would be the closest chemist for us to buy them. Will they be under the same brand names or do they offer a generic version? (think that's the right term!) Any info regarding this would be welcome.
Thanks
Gail xxxxxx
I DON'T take this poison. I won't inflict my body with chemicals it doesn't (in all probability) need. I have taken the weekly tablets, with no ill effects, but WILL NEVER take the daily ones as I know my mother (who sadly I take after) is HIGHLY allergic to these tablets.
The doctors in England never suggest this might be a problem... The doctors in Goa KNOW this is a common side efect. They should know best in this case, yes?
Do take your other jabs, but think twice about these poisons your doctors are recommending (only if to feather their own nest)
hi there i have been having a good read through and pleased am not imagining it i started to think i were ill, as past week or so appetite gone, and when i do start eating something i ge to about half way and have to leave it as start feeling sick!! that it not usually me... not a vulture or anything lol, but i enjoy food, and thinking back and what ive read its since been taking malaria tabs, HAS ANY ONE ELSE FELT THE SAME, APPETITES, NAUSEA ETC, even after 2 cups of coffee i look and think yukkkk, now people thinking bit of :swear HYPO-CONDRIACT!!!! :?
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.