Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi could someone give me some info on malaria tablets, as i am totally confused (sorry about spelling on these products) I was given 500mg of Chloroquine tablets (bought from Goa) which i took one, my 9 year old son took one, but my 6 year old would not take it, so i have been out today and got him Nivaquine syrup. I was told by the chemist that we should all be taking Paludrine 2 daily........ is this necessary, or do you think just the once a week tablet is enough.
Thanks crystal
Anybody with Psoriasis had probs with anti malarias? :?
Anybody with Psoriasis had probs with anti malarias?

My dad has got psoriasis quite badly and has to take tablets daily and put cream on daily and he took the anti malaria tablets whilst he was on holiday in Goa 2 years ago.
The sun is meant to be really good for psoriasis and my dads consultant said to him he needed a break in the sun when it was really bad. So he treated himself to a Goa holiday :)
Hi Rach
my hubby has psoriasis and takes allopurinol twice daily for this.
He's taken Malaria tablets in the past together with the allopurinal without any problems, but we've haven't taken any mosquito tablets at all the last few times we've been to Goa.

Like kyasbaby, we didn't see many mosquitos at all (Feb/March 06), and luckily for us, they don't seem to bite us.
Must be something about not going for 'bad meat'....

My hubby always wears long trousers and socks at night, I usually wear trousers and we always put the Avon body oil on as well as Autan or equivalent.

Just a thought....
If it is 'recommended' by WHO to have certain vaccinations and to take malaria tablets, and you don't have/take them, how does this affect your insurance policy?

Polly
http://oheraldo.in/node/14387

The above link is from today's Herald. Is there a real threat of Malaria or is it just scaremongering?
Many people do not take precautions against malaria, but would those same people change their attitude if the risk increased?
Malaria Is a nasty disease and kills millions of people every year but, lets get this in prospective one case reported is not an epidemic.

I don't think the paper is scare mongering, just reporting and advising what precautions to take.

lez
I just read an article in The Sunday Times a few weeks back about cases of Malaria in the UK having risen by a HUGE amount, I can't remember exactly how much but was alarming.

This is due to the amount of cheap holidays being offered to India, Morocco, Ghana , etc.

It seems that UK tourists are the worst culprits for NOT taking precautions. I've met UK tourists in Goa who don't take them because they are told by locals that you don't need them! Much as I like Goan people, I would never take that sort of advice by them. I've also been told that there is no Rabies either! Not true.

It's up to the individual, make your mind up.

A friend of mine was in Singapore for 3 nights working with a theatre group about 10 years ago and got bitten by a mos'. 5 years later he died (aged 40) from malaria complications (he was diabetic also).
Let me put it this way, your chances of getting malaria are the same as you getting hit by a bus ! I stay far away from Malaria pills. Living in Goa all my life neither me nor anyone in my family have ever suffered from malaria. Dont get paranoid !
Precaution is the best advice. Medication wont hurt you!

Regarding health in India someone said to me it pays to be paranoid. I agree.

Avoid being near mosquitoes, wash your hands, be careful what you eat etc.

What might not affect a Goan resident might well be different from a tourist from UK. (And vice versa). Also if you are staying in the supposed safe area Agauda-Baga there might be less risk but you may decide to do a jungle trip and stay overnight in an area where there are mos'.

Other Mosquito Related Illness

Lymphatic filariasis (elephantiasis) spreading across Goa. Article in Herald.

I spoke to a German tourist in January who got Elephentiasis from very few bites it looked really really bad! He had only been staying in Goa for a month. Supposedly you are only supposed to get this after prolonged exposure to mos', he hadn't!
Point taken big neil. I have just returned from Tanzania ( my 2nd trip ) one of the most dangerous places for malaria. The locals get it at least 2 times a year but i still havent taken any malaria pills. Creams and Mozzie Liquidizer yes , but no meds.

I guess European blood is sweeter :o)

Regards
Pleased to meet you Neil, I don't take anti-malaria tablets either, in 21 years of travelling the world in the merchant navy I only know one person to get malaria .

Myself and most tourists are more concerned with the big red itchy blobs on their bodies than catching malaria.

I think your wrong Ambert Mosquitoes are omnivores and you Indians eat too much sugar "Carbohydrates ", that's why the little beggars come after me and I'm not very sweet. :rofl :rofl :rofl
hi all we went to goa for the whole season this time and spoke to a lot of people getting lots of advice and one thing we found out was that you can buy anti malaria tablets in local chemists in goa a one week tablet for one rupee . the same person that told us about this had just visited the widow of a local who had recently died from malaria .

1 rupee for 1 tablet a week it speaks for it self . anita
We are travelling to Goa in Feb 07. My son hasn't had his MMR (personal choice). Is there a very large risk of contracting measles in Goa? I suppose I should go ahead and get him the single jab as I'm just too scared to get the MMR done (he is 5).
hi
just noticed this as I was away when you originally posted. Best advice would have to come from your doctor- personally I would say, go for the single jab.
Thanks. That's what I was thinking. Just got to find a reputable clinic then!
Hi Haddojetty.

Just stumbled across this as I was browsing and I don't know if it will help but I travelled up to Hertfordshire to an excellent clinic for the single jabs for my grandaughter. I don't know whereabouts you are, but please feel free to PM me if you would like the address.

Maz
Thankyou Maz.c for your kind offer, however I have managed to find a clinic in Hemel Hempstead that will so them, so he will have had his measles shot before we go in Feb. My travel nurse didn't explain to me what anti malarials my 5 year old son will need, surely the adult dosage is too strong for him. Also she said we have to take the weekly and the daily, can I buy them both out there as we are going to be skint otherwise!!
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.