Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
malaria
160 Posts
just wondering, how many of you have been to goa or are going without having injections or taking any tablets?
and have any of you actually caught anything?

lifes to precious to mess about with for the sake of 15 quid

This debate will go on as long as people visit Goa.........

I.M.H.O its a personal thing read the facts... Google it, do your research, read peoples comments on here many have been going for a long long time........

Then make "Your" decission

Personally I would not take the Malaria tablets but would have the jabs but that's just "Me"

Mids
I like the idea of starting off with the minimum malaria tablets then get the rest in goa.
But is it OK if you start off with one then change to another when you get get there if the same brand is not available ?
ive read thru all pages but this asnt answered.
can you uy malarone in goa?
i have about 6 tablets of it left and wondered if it was sensible to buy the rest whilst there?
please remember that there are alot of fake drugs available in india as been pointed out in news recently,is it worth the risk ,15pounds is less than a night out in britain, some doctors i repeat some will give you them on perscription .mine not being one of them :lol: payed my 30pounds for hubby and i not a great deal were health is concernd :lol:
Hi All

just spoke to pharmacist in boots asked about what malaria tablets were needed for Goa and she said that alot of people were asking and that as it was now a low risk area none were needed she even pointed it out in a book she had, only if i was planning on travelling around india would I need them, Has anyone else been given this infomation as from reading ht forum you get a completly different impression.
my chemist asked if i was visiting any jungle areas ,,im not sure what trips we will be doing ,,maybe the jungle trip ,,so decided to take them ,,she showed me the recent info and goa said low risk unless jungle visits,low risk to me is not a no risk ,,i have no spleen so cant fight any type of infection,so for me the tablets are a must ,
:oops: :oops: ...can someone please tell me how much malaria tablets cost in goa :?: ..also can you wait to you get there and start them :?: or do you get them in the uk....for your first visit ....then bring some back with you for your next visit :?: ...cus you all know you will always go back.... :D :D
if your going to use them i think you have to start on them before you travel and afterwards as well but you may be able to buy them for future visits in goa
heard malaria tablets can have side effects only going for a week dont want to spoil my holiday is it worth not taking tablets any help greatly appreciated
malaria is a nasty disease, one bite form a malaria carring mozzie. :roll:

Its your choice, :glynis
Have a chat with your practice nurse as they will be able to advise you on different forms of medication for Malaria.
it depends what type you take, we have been 4 times now, and paulidrine do not give us any side effects, but i suppose they are different with everone. i would not risk it, i know a guy who was 42 he was in the gambia and died in november with malaria, within 4 days of having flu symptoms, he had passed away.
We always take them, theyre a pain but worth it rather than catch malaria in my opinion :shock:
Never had to pay for my jabs, always had them at my GP's.

You all want to ask for some £'s back
Taken my 3 injections and ready to go next saturday cant wait. Friends of mine who have visited goa say Malaria tablets arent necessary. What are peoples opinions on this.
This debate has already been covered on should you shouldn't you take them.
My opinion is be safe.We buy the tablets in Goa,not for cost (but it does help) but the fact our stomachs can't handle them.We have always had the 'sick' feeling and seem to sweat more with the UK bought ones.
Spike, do you buy Chloroquine (Avochlor weekly) and Proguanol (Paludrine daily) tablets locally? We have 2 weeks supply left for each of us (hubby didn't get bitten last year so didn't finish the course) We start taking them today but we will need to buy more when we get there. Do you know if the chemist in Candolim sells them?
Thanks
Gail
Ones we brought back last year and just started taking are chloroquine phosphate 1 tab per week for 6 weeks,you can get bitten and not have an 'over reacting' spot to show for it - you should always finish the course of tablets.
I have just come back from Goa where my partner was ill and had to call the doctor. She was prescribed some tablets and I asked him how this may affect her taking anti malaria tablets. He said there was no need anyway to take the daily tablets, just carry on taking the weekly Chloroquin ones. He said if we come back to Goa there is no point in taking the weekly ones.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.