Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi when i took my 6 year old boy to Goa last year i gave him Nivaquine Syrup once a week as he would not take the tablets, i bought it here, but they also reccomend you to have Paludrine daily, but we had such a fuss getting him to take the one a week tablet that i gave up on the daily, like others have said if you can get enough for 2 weeks before you go you can buy it in Goa so much cheaper, good luck.
One thing i would say disguise the tablets in ice cream, or something sweet as they do taste horrible. :lol:
Hiya Haddojetty

Glad you found a clinic. If it's in Hemel, I think it is the one that we used as we used to live up that way and it was really good. They gave us all sorts of advice and may be able to help you regarding the meds for your son. Good Luck anyway.

Going for our jabs on Wednesday... eeuhh!!

Maz
x
Maz, it's called the Breakspear clinic.
Thanks for the advice on child syrup (malaria), I will go back to my travel nurse armed with more info than her!!!!
That's the one Haddojetty. They were brilliant. Hope everything works out well. My sister still lives up that way and she knows lots of people who have used it and it came highly recommended.

Maz
x
Absolutely brilliant Maz, thanks (phew!!!!).. They were helpful and kind on the phone too!!
Is Nivaquine syrup available in the UK? If so, prices??
Hi yes Nivaquine Syrup is available, i bought some from Boots, Adults take 6x5 ml spoonfuls on the same day each week, and children take 5 ml per body weight on the same day once a week, if you can get them to take the tablet form i feel it's much easier, but my son will not take tablets :roll: good luck in what ever you decide to give them.
Sorry forgot to mention the price i think it was around £6.00, but really can't remember as i was so desperate to get something down him, i would have paid anything! :D
Thanks for the info! Just to be clear, my son would have the nivaquine and another antimalarial too?
Hi Ray,

The tablets that you buy in Goa sound great, one a week! definately buying them. Where is the pharmacy in calangute? We are staying at the Falcon Resorts.
Do you take any before you travel? I thought you had to take them a week before you go?
I would be worried about not taking any.
Its called johnnys pharmacy on Calangute main street. I dont take any before I go because I dont regard Malaria as a great threat at the moment. Just take one as soon as you buy them. Dont forget to take mossie repelant to be on the safe side.
Ray.
Forgot to say, the ones you buy in the UK need to be taken a week before but I have never used them :D
Ray, do you think it will be ok to take the Qinarsol tabs, as at present I'm on blood pressure and colestrol tabs. Oh by the way I know your a fire officer and not a doctor (he he) :lol: . Thats before you have a go at me. Jxk8.
Thats one I cant answer never having suffered from either complaint. A quick phone call or chat with any pharmacist should put your mind at ease. I would think if you can take your medication with the Malaria pills sold in the UK then it should be ok with the Indian equivalent. You can always ask in the pharmacy in Goa. Thats a roundabout way of saying I dont know! :hmmm :shrug. Hope you get sorted out.
Ray :D
Thanks Ray, will have a chat with my GP before I travel, best to be safe than sorry, but a top surgeon once said to me that if you were ever to fall ill while on holiday in India, the place has many fine doctors... Jxk8
Sorry to say there is quite a lot of maleria amongst the locals in Goa at the moment - something to do with the late monsoon rains - so be advised to take at least the weekly chloroquine tablets a week before you come,especially if you are coming out in the next couple of weeks! As said before ,buy the bulk over here as they are both cheap and the same type as in the uk. Brian.
Hi can any body tell me if you can get the malaria tablets in goa or are we best to buy them before we go,i have got some from last time we went but there is 13 of us going in december and i'm going in november so was going to pick some up for everybody when we go in november .

edit
merged with main thread.
Fiona ht mod
nicnei
welcome to HT and the Goa forum!
You can get some in Goa for everyone when you go in Nov. Go to any chemist, really inexpensive with a 3 year shelf life. Ask for the ones you take weekly.
Ray.
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.