Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
partyboy_uk,
Thanks for the links to the pictures. It looks like, despite the aircraft being rather old, Monarch have kept the standards up and managed to keep the seats in what looks like's good condition.
I doubt this will happen but does Monarch have any planned upgrades for the A330 before this summer?
Also, what is the level of service like in economy on a long haul flight?

Thanks
Z.J.C
Yes, Monarch's aircraft are kept in very good condition, mostly in part to the excellent engineering team they have. If you look about on the internet you will see there is no end of praise for the work they do and the high standards of maintenance they achieve, both in the cabin and technically. The condition and length of service of Monarch's B757's are testimony to this. However, there are no planned upgrades for the A330 before the summer.

With regards to service, I think Monarch are very good. Of course, I may be a bit biased here. I am mindful that Monarch are unable to provide the same seating arrangements and IFE that some of its competitors can but I believe if you do your research before you travel then at least you know what to expect. Monarch crew are always friendly, willing to help and ever mindful of safety. I know a number of crew who work for other airlines and believe that the standard of service and level of safety that Monarch crew are required to achieve are much more stringent than elsewhere.

Not quite sure if this answers your question, but if there is something specific you wanted to know then please ask.
Partyboy

I would agree with you over Monarch's saftey and maintenance standards but disagree with you about the service from cabin crew , they are well below the standard of other flights I have taken recently with BA, Easyjet, Thomson and Jet2. The service I received on my recent flight to Calgary reminded me of Ryanair, as it was efficient but surly and the majority of the crew were European. They hid in the galley when not serving, were not approachable and didnt care when I had nosebleed midflight.
partyboy_uk,
Hello again, thanks for all the information. Im sure the service will make up for the lack of IFE we have a lot of friends that fly monarch to europe who say there service is second to none.
I was wondering what the seat pitch is in Economy and the Extra Leg Room seats and how much if you know extra leg room is per person?
Thanks
Zack
Zack,

Seat Pitch in economy is 30". Extra legroom seats are the ones located at emergency exits. So as such I do not know the pitch (but it is enough!)

Between £15 and £25 on scheduled services (£35 on charter services)

Gower
Hello,
Thanks GowerL7. I have 1 more question, are Monarch planning a move to Terminal 2 at Manchester a friend of mine said they plan on moving terminals some time shortly?
Thanks
Zack
Here are the details of the extra legroom seats as they currently stand for Monarch flights:

Charter (MON flight number)

Short haul - £15 per sector
Mid haul (Canaries, Cyprus, Turkey) - £25 per sector
Long haul (includes Egypt and Jordan) - £35 per sector

Scheduled (ZB flight number)

LEI/IBZ/MJV/ALC/MAH/BCN - £15 per flight
AGP/FAO/PMI/GIB - £17.50 per flight
LCA/TFS/ACE - £25 per flight

On Monarch's longhaul routes operated by the A330 as well as the extra legroom seats at the exits, where there is an abundance of extra legroom, there are also extra legroom seats at the rear of the aircraft. These can be found in the last 6 rows adjacent to the windows where the aircraft narrows and the seating configuration changes from 3-3-3 to 2-3-2. These rows of 2 are extra legroom seats and are identified by a purple headrest (see the photos posted above).

Although you will see on Dazbo's guide to aircraft that the legroom in the standard cabin is 30" and on sites such as SeatGuru it shows as 31", I can tell you that the legroom is in fact slightly more at around 32". This is because a few years back, Monarch removed a few rows of seats to make way for slightly extra legroom in the standard cabin and to allow for those legroom seats mentioned previously. Hence the current capacity of 358 on Monarch's A330 and not 374 which is still found on some sites.

Some people in fact prefer these seats at the rear of the aircraft as here you are not disturbed by people wanting to step in front of you when trollies are passing through the cabin. These seats are also next to the window, whereas the seats immediately next to the window at the exits are not classed as extra legroom seats by Monarch since the door bustle impedes the space in this area.

I have also heard many things said about Monarch moving to Terminal 2 at Manchester, however nothing has been announced yet so make sure you use the terminal advised to you unless Monarch or your tour operator let you know otherwise. You may also want to check shortly before you travel. If this does happen then I would expect it to be after the beginning of May.
partyboy_uk,
Thanks for your help again, looking forward to flying with Monarch know. The leg room in Economy doesn't seem to bad.
Thanks
Zack
Many thanks Gower!

Am I right in thinking that the purple head rests mean extra legroom seats??
Alexislee10002CW73E,

Yes, the ones you can see in the middle of the aircraft (at the emergency exits). The seats towards the front , the first 6 roes are also extra legroom seats

Gower

Edit: To correct information provided, Thank you partyboy_uk for reminding me!!
  • Edited by GowerL7 2010-03-11 17:31:07
if you look about 6 post or so ABOVE this one you will find links posted by Party Boy of both the 320 and 321

wizard
The first 6 rows on the A320 and A321 are extra legroom seats and that is why they have purple headrests.
Hi

Looking to see what Aircraft I will be on from EDI to TFS. I assume it will either be A320 or A321 but hoping for B757-2 :hyper

Outbound 7th Sept - MON5866
Inbound 21st Sept - MON5867

Cheers. ;)
Sh33p,

You're right in assuming your flight will is planned to operate on an A32o or A321 as the aircraft in Edinburgh are shared with the summer base in Dublin and this is what will be located there. I should be able to let you know which one it will be closer to the date. Of course, these there's always the slight possibility a B757 could be subbed in if something goes wrong, but with only 3 left in the fleet and no trained crew in Edinburgh to operate it, I'm afraid the chances are slim.
Hi Partyboy

Thanks for the information. Not that I mind the Airbus just never flew on the MON 757 before and was hoping for a jolly before they retire.
I have booked a last minute flight to Brufut Gambia flying Monarch - can anyone tell me what the flight number and type of aircraft used is please? Flying out from Gatwick on April 9th and back on April 16th. Also, would anyone know if the seats are allocated at check in or pre booked?
Thanks
Hi there - could you tell me the aircraft which is used for MON 4514 going from Gatwick to Gambia on 9th April and returning 16th April? Do you know if a meal is included as standard and what is the ife situation.

Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.