Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
mosquitoes
81 Posts
but is the mosquito a problem in sunny beach ?
@ Champ

Didn't notice any in late June/early July last year in Sunny Beach/Bourgas area - none in Sveti Konstantin/Varna/Dobrich area last August, either.
There were a lot of mosquito's in Sunny Beach last september. We used avons woodland fresh to keep them away. Definately works.
i was in bulgaria , sunny beach 5 years ago and i was more bothered bout the harvester beetles than the mozzi's
what is a harvester beetle? What about cockroaches, many of them?
what i remember there was not many cockroaches but the harvester beetle is a flying beetle there were quite a few when i was there 5 years ago july time, ANYONEelse heard of the harvester beetle in bulgaria
I have only been to Bulgaria once before, to Golden Sands in Aug 03.
I don't think I saw any insects at all.
None of us were bitten by anything :D
Yes there are harvester beetles in Bulgaria and they are harmless. I believe at some point last year they were a lot around but we didn't see any in Golden Sands last September.

Patka
Last July in Albena it was swarming with them. They are my pet hates along with cockroaches which thankfully I have never seen yet in Bulgaria.
We get those beetles here in June for a couple of weeks and thats when I tend to have a holiday so when we got them last year in Albena I was a nervous wreck. I now know not to go that time of year again. I have booked for September so it should be ok.

Nicole
:shock: the thought of a beetle is bad enough without it being a flying one. i just hope they are in hibernation when i go to s/b in july :D
I always take my loyal bug plug lol. I also use lemon shampoo and body wash this seems to keep the little beggers off a turkish friend told me about this and has worked for the past 5 years. Also I take piriton for a week before i go just in case i get bit dont leave nothing to chance lol. Hope this helps
hi, just got back and I'm pleased to tell you that, not only did I not see any mosquitos, there were no tell-tale red marks on other visitors that usually give them away. In fact there was a distinct lack of beetles or insects, flying or otherwise, so relax.
Any problems with mosquitoes in SB at the moment? (For those of you just back)
  • Edited by trishh6 2005-07-22 08:00:55
Returned Saturday. Did not come across any.
If you drink tonic water few before you go, that will work they don't like the quinine (or buy tablets) ta leanne
Hi folks
we returned friday night . The mozzie situation , well , we were at Elenite . Walked along the beach every evening as the sunset ( gorgeous ) all was fine until Thursday evening when they suddenly appeared from nowhere , we had them friday evening as well . So I think you can say they have arrived for the summer now . A good sign before they come out and start bighting is the swallows suddenly arrived above us on both nights and were after dinner !!
Chris
bin here in sunny beach 2 days

NO MOZZIES
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.