Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Re: Onur Air ..
760 Posts
flew out of manchester 22/9/08 flight number 4498 on time. asked for extra leg room and got it.. i could have laid down there was that much.

my girlfriend and i took a meal deal on the plane from boots. (i would recommend this)

flight and crew were spot. no complaints at all. the captain kept us informed throughout our journey good safe landing in bodrum.

coming back.....

2 hours delay with no explaination what so ever.

be warned the food in the airport is very very expensive 5 euro's for a can of pop. 8 euros for a small beer and 10 euros for slice of pizza small fries and small drink....lots of delays for some reason coming out of bodrum.............

flight back nice and staright forward no problems , appart from no duty free service

would i use onur air again i certainly would
I am flying with my new wonderful wife on flights OHY3202/OHY3201. I have seen the reports of this airlines saftey record and they are not to good at all! On May 1, 2008 an Onur Air aircraft taking off from Antalya made an emergency landing back at the airport.. Shortly after takeoff, passengers reported a loud noise and the aircraft started to sink to the ground. The pilot dumped most of the fuel over water and landed back at Antalya. No one was hurt in the incident, although several passengers were treated for emotional distress. The aircraft had 166 passengers onboard, most of which were Dutch tourists returning to Holland........This sounds like all there jets are old well past sell by dates and they dont look after them. They have been banned from landing at loads of european airports. I'm worried really worried....... can anyone help me feel any better what jet will be running this flight??
You say "loads" of European airports have banned them from landing - how many is 'loads; and which airports? As for their safety record, when was the last time they had a disaster resulting in loss of life? Please quantify your statements before scaring the wits out of others who may have booked flights with Onur Air.

Not questioning your concerns, just wondering why you would book yourself and your wife with an airline you're so unccomfortable with. We flew with them 2 weeks ago, and the aircraft was clean, modern and the crew were courteous and pleasant. Ask yourself, would the crew fly regularly on dilapidated, ill-maintained planes? They have families too.
Slumpy Monster,

It's true, OHY were blacklisted from several european countries at one point for various reasons. It wasn't that particular airports banned them, it was the country as a whole that banned them from their airspace. These issues have now been resolved. Although they don't have a squeeky clean safety record, they meet CAA and european standards for aircraft maintenenace and safety. They wouldn't be allowed to fly in european airspace otherwise. Having flown with them myself, they are definately bottom of my list when it comes to airlines, but that's only my opinion. You'll find lots of positive, and some not so positive opinions on here. I would take the media reports with a huge pinch of salt, they are often blown well out of proportion. The A321's are very modern aircraft, it's only their A300B4's and MD80's that are getting on a bit now.

Are you on the Manchester - Bodrum flight (OHY3202/1)? If so, that'll be operated by one of their Airbus A321-200's. These are the most modern in the fleet and of the aircraft they operate, if I had to fly with them, those would be my preference. I'm sure your flight will be fine. Emergency landings happen more often than you think, and although there is a reason behind the declaration of an emergency, they are often precautionary in nature. Remember the most dangerous part of any flight, statistically is the drive to and from the airport.

Just think of the lovely time and blue sky you'll have in Turkey :cheers :sun2

Darren
Thanks Darren for helping me quantify my concerns now. I feel a bit more comfortable. It is probably quite often they have emergency landings and I'm cool with that if they see a slightly large fly dead on the wing that may result in an emergency landing then I'm happy with that. Its just there was some horror stories and you worry. I didnt knowingly purchase the flights as it was part of an all inclusive deal and I was told the airline was Goldtrail, which didn't ring any bells with me as I know a little about aviation, I had never heard of them. Then I checked the flight numbers found out it was Onur Air and I remembered seeing them on the news. So I was genuinely worried I am currently trying to get my flights changed. I have built race cars and saftey is always paramount. I cannot understand for one minute with so many peoples lives in responsibility why they have any question mark over there safety standards! It just defies my thinking. Its obvious that the Turkish are very patriotic people and it is a fantastic and endearing quality and I haven't got a problem with that. But I think they feel they are being conspired against and so this still in my mind makes me think as they feel this way they will continue as before. But if I cant change my flights I will go with them and I will report back and set the record straight. I do believe they have not had any loses and some major airline have but 1 saftey concern in 15 jets and 1 in 150 jets is very different. I'm just in two minds at the moment????
Slumpy

what Darren said is quite true.. yes they have had some issues with EEC countries in the past, yes they do have emergencies [not critical] from time to time [ so do most other airlines].. i flew with them in July from LGW all i can say was the airframe was not the oldest i have been on it appeared well maintained, the flight was incident free and on time, BUT you get what you pay for a basic service.. no entertainment.. we did not see any hot meals but snacks available [but expensive.. take your own] the cabbing crew wer'nt the happiest i have seen but they did the job.. DON'T worry and if you get one of the "mad dogs" [Mac Donald Douglass] all i can say is you lucky so and so i was hoping for one on my flight before they are all withdrawn

wiz
Completed our trip using Onur Manchester / Antalya. Outbound we were on an Airbus A300 the plane was a bit shabby, but clean.
We left on time, crew were friendly flight very smooth and uneventful.
Came back to Manchester on an MD83 and got extra leg room, the inside of the aircraft looked almost new, leather seats very bright
again a cheerful and friendly crew. Departed Antalya on time.
The only scary bit was when we came into Manchester, the pilot lost some height rapidly which reminded me of riding on the Pepsi Max
at Blackpool
Overall a good experience I will have no hesitation in using Onur for future flights to Turkey
Im flying from cork to bodrum on the 18th july 2009 . its flight ohy962 a321, can you please tell me what sort of plane this is
many thanks
airbus 321 i think but im sure dazbo will clarify
sandra25,

ASCARS is clarifying that the flight is opertated by the A321 aircraft

Alasdair
sandra25,

The Airbus A321-200 is a narrow bodied twin jet. I have a cabin photo here. There's loads of information about them on this thread.

Darren
Dazbo5 who are you? You seem know a lot about us lol :cheers
onur air cabin crew wrote:
Dazbo5 who are you? You seem know a lot about us lol

I'm just a regular Holiday Truths member who just so happens to have an interest in all things aviation and enjoys lots of holidays (including Turkey, will be in Icmeler again in September).

Darren
onur air cabin crew,

:rofl note the wink!! I have travelled with Onur Air in the past. My trip reports and opinions are posted on this thread. I'll not show you where though, you might not appreciate my crtical review!

Darren
does anyone know if onur air are flying to bodrum from durham tees valley this year

Thanks
davemcfc,

Welcome onboard :tup
Goldtrail are offering flights from MME to Bodrum on a Thursday. These are operated by Onur Air (flight number OHY4468/7) departing MME at 2100, arriving in Bodrum at 0300 and should be an Airbus A321-200.

Darren
LOL. Which company you fly with?We better then Thomas Cook,Excel etc. and we fly to every airports in UK :que
onur air cabin crew,

That's a matter of opinion. I think we're going a little off topic now.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.