General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Just booked a late deal for 9 members of my family to Turkey. I have read you need 6 months on your passport when you fly out & 3 months left on when you return. Just got the passports to do the API's & my 6 year old nephews runs out on 20th Feb 11 and we fly out 21st Aug 10 for 1 week, thats 1 day short of 6 months. How strict are they, will it show up as not acceptable when I enter the API's and who can I contact to verify if we need to try and get him a new passport.

If anyone can answer or point me in the right direction for info I would be most grateful.

UPDATE

Got through to the Foreign Office and he needs a new passport.
I see that the Passport Office is issuing a new pattern passport with different countyside scenes on each page and two photos of the holder, one of them laminated with inbuilt holograms.

Guardian passport HERE

The price will be the same as the existing and they say that the new document is being issued as a form of increased security.
Hi

Has anybody been issued the new passport design yet? My brother will be getting one soon when his expires.
My OH and I needed to renew our passports. We completed the application forms online on the Thursday, received the paper version for signature and posted off the paperwork last Tuesday. We received our new passports the following Tuesday!! What excellent service - thank you to Newport Passport Office!!
same as me last year, which is why this is so annoying....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-11503599

... it seems good service counts for nothing!
Hi

I'm going to Portugal June next year and my passport runs out March 2012 will this be ok?
two answers to this.....
it must be current for the duration of the trip...

BUT most tour operators / airlines will specify 6 months from the date of travel

take the easy option and just renew it [unused months up to 9 will be added to the new passport

wizard
Hello. I've a question about my daughters passport and hoping someone here has any ideas.

My daughters passport needs renewing on 20/10/11,
We go away 23/07/11.
This means it'll be less than 6 months left on it so she will need a new one before we travel.

Now, my daughter is 15.

My question is, will the new passport be exactly 5 years from when we send for it (probably April) or will it be back dated to include the difference in time up to 20/10/11?

Also how does this work reguarding she is 15 and will be 18 in 2013. Will she then need an adult passport? Will any remaining time on her child passport be added to her adult one. Seems a bit unfair if there is 2 years left on the child one it just gets 'lost'

This would mean we apply in April 2011 and will need to apply again in about Oct 2013!

Many thanks.
They can only forward up to 9 months back dated chivas.
Thanks, so wil she need a new one at 18? Or can she use hers until it runs out (or will the new one only be valid until her 18th birthday0?
Hi Chivas ... if she renews now, the new passport will be valid for 5 years, plus up to 9 months of the unexpired validity from the existing passport. That new passport will not need replaced when your daughter reaches 16 years (16 is the defining age between child and adult passports, not 18), she would carry on using it until it expires. There is no requirement to renew or replace a passport just because the child reaches 16 years of age, it is valid for its full 5 year term.

Whether or not she would actually need to renew her passport before the July trip very much depends on which country you are going to and which airline or tour operator you are using. A minimum 6 month passport validity requirement is not always the case, so she may potentially be able to hang on and just apply for a 10 year adult passport when she is 16.

David :wave
Thanks David, I think we will get a new one before we go , especially if they will give her the couple of months back anyway!
Cheers
Hi, anyone got and tips on how to go about doing a passport photo for a baby? Surley holding him up in the photo booth is a non starter? :rofl
I used to have a sheet of white cardboard and lie small babies on it and take the photo looking straight down. Then all you need to do is get the size of the baby and photos size right!!. or go to a proper camera shop and they should have the knowledge.
chivas,
i have just renewed my daughters who is 15,

hers ran out in 8 months, i completed it online, received the forms through the post, signed them, sent them back. it took 10 days from me posting them.

she now has a 5yr passport to be renewed when she will be 21 :yikes
My little bro has sent his off to be renewd today had to get it countersigned which was done with in half an hour the man at the PO said his took 5 days for him sending it so hopefully he will be geting is first renewd adult passport by next week. I'll let you know how long it takes to come back. :cheers
Hi guys. Just renewed my passport. Completed it online and they sent the form out for signature and documents/payment straight away.

Sent it off last Tuesday, 1st Feb, received it back yesterday 8th Feb. Sent via royal mail first class post (franked from work), didn't bother with any checking and sending etc. or special delivery/signed for. Very impressed with turnround time.
Was that via the soon-to-close Newport office?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.