General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
most charted airlines will only accept a minimum of 3 months from the date of return

so that will be fine

wizard
thanks for the reply - will get it renewed this week just to be on the safe side :cheers
can i just point out that if you are goin to egypt you need at least 6 months on passport, reason i know this as a fact is, we met a few friends at airport when we were goin to egypt on the 15th feb just past, the mother and the daughter got on the thomas cook plane , but the other lady was turned away, because she only had 3 months on passport, she told check in that when she booked holiday at travel agent in belfast , she pointed this out and was told it was fine, but check in told her no its got to be at least 6 months or more, got speaking to the friend next day and was told the lady got her money back, but was gutted she was not with the rest of her friends on holiday, hoping this will help someone if they think there passport will take them if it has less than 6 months on it . tammie
hippyjak wrote:
Just checked my passport - it runs out in May - flying out to Majorca 20th August.

Do I need 6 months validity left on my passport before I fly out or is it 6 months after I return.

I need to get it renewed but just panicking whether I have enough time if I need a passport that is current 6 months before I fly?

Any advice thanks.

For Spain your passport only needs to be valid for the duration of your stay so you don't need to have had it for 6 months before arrival.

If you renew it now you will get any unused months added to the new one up to 9 months.

luci :wave
Mine doesn't run out until March 2012 but going to Portugal in June and Mexico end of August so am just gonna renew it better to be safe than sorry.

Can't believe its £5 in those booths for photos now!!!
Just wanted to mention - if anyone needs to renew their passport, now seems like a good time. It must be quiet over at the IPS as last Wednesday (16th) I sent off a renewal for myself and our 5 year old son and a first time application for our 6 month old son. Today we received all 3 together by courier - a week to process 3 passports! Glad I didn't pay for check and send (as all 3 applications were in the same envelope) or one week fast track.
don't they come back in normal post? I would never be in to sign for it.
They have to send it back securely by courier as it is an important document and needs to be signed for. Apparently if you're not in when it is delivered, you can arrange to have it redelivered or pick it up from the courier depot
Mine came back ordinary post, not even sure it was first class. Certainly didn't sign for it. That was just over a year ago. Maybe it's something to do with postcodes and past experience.
mine came back yesterday normal post both in sperate envelopes the old one and the new one. :)
can anyone help..

we go to Rhodes on 3rd september, but my 17yr olds passport ran out last year, obviously im getting a new 1 for him in the next week or so.... does he need to of had so many months on the passport before we travel, or can i just get 1 and go..

ive been told he has to have either 3 or 6 months on a passport before he can go to rhodes, im hoping this isnt the case..
its down to the tour operator and airline rules, MOST will insist on 3 months validity after the proposed date of return, [Ryan air/Easy jet don't usually bother as long as it valid for the return journey]

wizard
sarahste
You just need to get a passport and go, you don't need to have had it for any length of time before you can use it.
denny.53

that may be the EU guidelines but as i have said IT IS DOWN TO THE AIRLINE/TOUR OPERATORS TERMS . Personally, i have seen people refused boarding at both Gatwick and Luton for failing to comply
sarahste wrote:
does he need to of had so many months on the passport before we travel, or can i just get 1 and go..

I think im reading it as Denny has. Sarahste has asked if the passport needs validity BEFORE travel not for when they get back as it will be a new passport and not one that has expired :que . Apologies if ive read it wrong too
as you say there is no time limit before you travel.. however as Greece is now part of the API scheme you do need it a week or so before to complete the API request [and as a point i have already completed mine for both May and September one for thomson airways and the other thos.cook airways]
Wizard
:offtop regarding a.p.i (please move this post if there is a more appropriate section) Im going to kos aug can i do api now even though we havent had tickets yet? Do we need to do it for cyprus?

Many thanks.

Lily. x :sun2
lilyflipflop,

API is needed for most flights departing the UK. When to do it depends on who you booked with and their procedures, but is normally available to input once you have your booking confirmation or from 6 months before your departure date.

Darren
wizard - sarahste was asking if she needed to have had the passport a set time BEFORE travel or if she could get one and use it straight away.........
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.