General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Has anyone else had a new passport this year? My new one looks very different to my husband's one which we only got last November. Do they regularly change the style of passports?
I'll be able to tell you in a couple of weeks :sun2
  • Edited by sandra22 2011-05-12 12:56:33
Hi Corinne ... the IPS introduced the new style passport last October, but in a phased process with both the old and new style passports being issued during the transition period. Added security measures include a second image of the passport holder. More details here for anyone who may want a look:
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publications/agencies-public-bodies/ips/general-ips-publications/passports/introducing-new-passport

David :wave
Ah, thanks for this David - I was irrationally worried that I had somehow been sent a fake passport!
interview letter recieved Saturday booked interview for 25th may :)
That's good Sandra, and it still leaves a few weeks in hand to complete the process. :tup
yep bout 3 weeks to recieve passport. Am so happy althou i dont reommend anyone else to leave it soo late!
Hi all, I received my daughters passport today and I'm a little confused. For a start, it was delivered on a Sunday at 12.30pm by a man who didn't speak a word of English. Looking through the passport the picture is at the front, is this normal now?! and on the other side there is another picture of my daughter but it's more blurred. The sticker was already pealed off one of the pages, the picture page isn't card like it usually is. Just a little confused about these things?

Just looked above and some things has changed but the sticker being pealed off has worried me a bit?
CourtneeLouise x
Yes this is the new style of passport .my son had to renew his recently and thats how it came back .cant wait to renew mine now as i like the look of it ..........his was also delivered by a courier , will go and have a look now to see if anything is coming unstuck
Mine came back last month & I reckon the 2nd image is there as added protection against photo tampering.
Hi,
Looking for some advice. Im off to Turkey on the 23rd June 2011 and returning on the 7th July 2011. I picked up the tickets today and I noticed it says you need 6 months on your passport after travel.

My passport runs out on the 13th December 2011. Will I still be able to use it to get into Turkey in June? Just as I haven't got long if I need to renew it.

I am also going back to Turkey on the 7th September 2011 until 16th September 2011, so will I need to renew it for then?

Starting to panic now...a little help would be good.

Thanks

RG.
Hi
Id ring the passport advice line and ask them.
Advice from the Foreign Office and the Turkish Embassy is that passports should be valid for at least 6 months on entry into Turkey, and for at least 3 months on exit from Turkey.

Info on urgent renewals can be found on this page:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/howlongittakesandurgentappplications/DG_174149

Thanks guys.

I've got an interview at Glasgow Passport Office to fast track my renewal on Monday. Means ill get my new passport by 13th June.

Thanks again.

RG
An unexpected expense, but a great service in cases such as this. :tup
Yeah, it certainly is. But at least thats me for another 10 years!! :D

RG
But at least thats me for another 10 years!!

10 years and 6 months ! :wink
We have just had to renew my husbands passport,we originally thought he'd be ok with 2 months validity left after we returned but when we spoke to the travel agent they said he would more than likely refused at check-in as most airlines prefer you to have 6 months minimum!
With 3 weeks left until our departure date we quickly sent it off through ordinary post and hoped for the best.I posted it on 31st may,they received it 2nd june and we have received it back today (10th june) so it took just over a week for the whole process.They obviously can't be too busy right now.I'm just pleased we checked it out,otherwise i'd have been boarding on my own :D
It is a confusing and unpredictable situation, sunny days. If you were going to Turkey for example, there is a minimum 6 month passport validity requirement. But if you were going to Spain, there is no such requirement and passports require to be valid only for the duration of your stay. However, some airlines and tour operators may choose to ignore the immigration/entry requirements of individual countries, and just specify a minimum 6 month passport validity requirement for all destinations. That's why it's important to check passport requirements of the country concerned, as well as those of the airline or tour operator involved.

Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.