Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I have a friend who used to put her vodka in a water bottle and top her coke up with it. :cheers
She said it wasnt so obvious that way. :rofl
Good thinking! Malibu will be fine in a plastic water bottle too!! :cheers
A girl I met on holiday last year used to ask for a glass of ice, then produce a can of diet coke from her bag the minute the waiter walked away. The barefaced cheek. :cheers
SandC wrote:
A girl I met on holiday last year used to ask for a glass of ice, then produce a can of diet coke from her bag the minute the waiter walked away. The barefaced cheek. :cheers

I call it thrifty :tup :think

Dont know if I would do it myself, But thrifty all the same.LOL :rofl
The only time I have used my own drinks was at a hotel in Cyprus who didnt have diet coke.
It was an AI hotel and I was told I could buy it at the supermarket across the road. :que
I bought a 2lr bottle and drank it in the hotel bars. :rofl
Someone who has just returned from Gumbet has said they were paying 5 lira for a large beer in their hotel.
we were paying 5 lira for a large beer last September in our hotel (tropicana beach gumbet ) but was cheaper in some bars and restaurants at 3 to 4 lira - im off to gumbet Saturday so will report when i get back
pargaluvva

I think it is approximately £2.10. Sure I will be corrected if I am wrong.
4.99 Turkish Lira = £2.24 in marksandspencer at the moment commission free
http://www6.marksandspencer.com/pages/default.asp?PageID=Home&Product=TM&intid=gnav_shopall_Travel-Money
but it will keep going up and down. :D
Kedi,My hubby will turn tee total if he has to pay 5TL after paying no more than 2 TL last year. :rofl
Only joking! Someone I spoke to today said the No Name Bar in Gumbet was a nice place with good prices.Do you know where it is?
I am also going to try and find Jakkis favourite bar named Cheers.
I only drink Sprite and Cola so no doubt that will also be 5TL.
I think if Efes is 5 lira in a hotel bar you will find it a lot cheaper in the bars. No Name bar is actually right outside your hotel so you wont have far to go ;) Aloha Bar, which is right opposite, also does cheap beer. Chhers bar is about 10 minutes walk, if you come out of your hotel and turn left and go up bar street to the roundabout, then left again it is along there. I used to live in an apartment just behind there but I don't think I ever went in Cheers bar!

It will be good to get some accurate prices Louietudor so people know what to expect - you will of course have to try lots of different bars to get a range of prices ;)
Louie,Will you still be in the Tropicana beach hotel bar on Saturday night? Jay
hi i went to turkey in 2006, beginning of july with my boyfriend for a week in marmaris and looking at going back this year...am i right in thinking it is cheaper than going to greece or anywhere like that because of the euro?

when we went in 2006 we took £300 between us and came home with £50 i know this probly wont happen this year!!!
could someone tell me please who has been in the last few months haw much the local beer is and an ideal amount of money to take for a week at the end of june beginning of july...this would include eating out and drinking every night as we did last time!

a friend of mine who has an apartment out there has said we would need £300 each...i wasnt sure what to think of this for a week...has it really got that expensive?!

thankyou ...would be grateful if anyone could help xx
The exchange rate in Gumbet was 2.3 lira to the pound when we were there last week. A large Efes ranged from 2.5 to 5 lira depending where you were. Local spirits averaged at 7 lira and cocktails at 10 lira (although you could get cocktails for 5 lira at the No Name bar). Prices haven't really changed from last year - in restaurants such as Chinatown and Seray Zetas, starters ranged from 4 to 10 lira depending on what you had, steak meals from 20 to 25 lira, chicken meals from 15 to 20 lira, pasta from 10 to 16 lira. Kebabs ranged from 1.5 to 5 lira. We bought wine in the supermarket (the larger ones such as Kipa, Migros and Tansas) which was palatable and it ranged from 9 to 13 lira for a bottle.

The season kicked off last weekend - there were lots of Dutch and Polish around the week before that. There's some new restaurants and bars in Gumbet, and some of the shops have changed. Everybody's looking forward to the season starting proper - they can't wait to get back to work and earning some money.

Any more questions - just ask!

Jakki
looks similar in price to last year then.
Yeah, we didn't really notice any difference from last year when paying our restaurant bills or buying things in the shops.
my son arrived back from marmaries last night , weather 30 deg and price for large efes was 4lira in most of the big lively tourist bars and to eat out he was paying about £20 for a decent meal and a drink each ( not to bad in my eyes ) were off there 3rd july but to hirasano
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.