Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
so how have you been ripped off??? - 2 bars 2 prices your chioce thats not ripping you off!!
Same beer same supplier,Why double price?. I am not on here for an argument, I go to Turkey because i love the people & the culture,Roll on September for sunny Marmaris
"Why go on holiday if all you're doing is watching the pennies"!! If you have an unlimited budget that's easy to say but many aren't fortunate enough to be in a position not to have to watch the pennies. To take a family on holiday is expensive enough and most have a budget they have to stick to whilst there. It's still possible to have a great holiday in a wonderful country whilst trying to make your money stretch a bit further and I don't think there's any shame in that. People work and save hard all year to take their families on a holiday, not everyone is lucky enough to have more than one and not have to worry about spending money.
Does it really matter how much you are paying for a pint of beer? Why go on holiday if all you are doing is watching the pennies? I have already booked to go twice to Turkey this year and found last year that the prices were really reasonable and cheaper than Corfu (where I also went last year). I agree that the difference is the people, surroundings and the overall atmosphere. Give me Turkey against Spain/Greece any time. Just a shame it takes so long to get there! 5 weeks and counting - woo hoo
No offence Shelley, but a pretty arrogant or insensitive post tbh. As has been said, not everyone can afford to just ignore the cost of everything. The fact we made it Turkey this year was exactly because the Euro is now so expensive, so we hit Turkey as we assumed it would be cheaper which it was.

Even as it was, we found beer to be anything from 2TL a pint (during happy hour) to 10TL for a 400ml in one place. Even if I was spending like a banker, I still wouldn't be looking to go somewhere that charges over £5 a pint, and I would think anyone prepared to pay that would be a total mug.
The places that were full were the ones selling Efes at 1-2TL. :cheers
I would rather go somewhere that had other customers as an empty bar.
My husband has been saving like mad for our holiday in 2 weeks but I know he will still be searching for the cheapest Efes. :rofl
I know that people have to watch what they're spending on holiday these days (we all do) and nobody likes getting ripped off but I really don't believe that the Turks do rip us off - not in my opinion anyway (or have I just been lucky?). We have a house over there and visit at least five times a year - we've been helped in many ways by our friends and they've done so much for us.

As for the varying prices of beer - doesn't that happen over here as well, I know it does in some holiday resorts (we're only about 35 miles from Blackpool and you should see the variations in prices there!).

Anyway, as most of us have said on here, we go to Turkey because we love it. We accept that prices have risen - but then again, they've risen all over so why should Turkey be any different? I suppose it came from the belief that everything in Turkey was far cheaper than at home. That's not always the case - petrol is dearer, cars are dearer, some foodstuffs are dearer (meat is one example).

Anyway, only two more sleeps before I'm in my beloved Gumbet again - I'll take more notice of the prices this year and will post my findings on my return.
Gumbet Jakki, I think what people are trying to really say is that prices flucuate in the resorts from time to time, I have always noticed this as I like yourself go that often, I have always found the cheapest time is the last 2 weeks of October and the most expensive times are All of July and August.
Yeah but don't forget that the last two weeks in October in many resorts in October are the last two weeks of the season and everything is shutting for the weather - certainly the case for the majority of places in Gumbet. The workers are getting "gate happy" knowing that they're going to get a well-deserved rest for a while and the shop owners tend to drop the prices so that they get some money in at the end of the season when it's notoriously quiet.
my only complaint about Turkey was sometimes they 'forgot' to put the vodka in my vodka and coke, however once approached they don't do it to your group again!
greenshoes, That happens with all Spirits not just vodka, Watch them like a hawk, :que
Only been to Turkey once (a week on a gulet cruise and a week in Fethiaye). Really enjoyed it but never had any desires to go back, don't know why :think . Have to say, I prefer Greece.
I know that people have to watch what they're spending on holiday these days (we all do) and nobody likes getting ripped off but I really don't believe that the Turks do rip us off - not in my opinion anyway (or have I just been lucky?).
First of all, let me say we loved our first visit just gone to Turkey, and without doubt will go back.

However....the Turks can spot a sucker a mile off, and sometimes not even a sucker but still try anyway. They will try any story to get you into their shop/restaurant, even though they know that the minute you get in the door they are rumbled, becaue they know that some punters will stay anyway.

Sometimes, and we had a few examples, they just flat out lie to you.

And then there are times when they have you and make no pretence at not ripping you off. Such as our day trip where we were charged £4.50 for 4/5 of a pint. Or the people who get mugged when ordering unpriced fish dishes from the menu.

Yes prices vary in this country too, but even in London I can't recall ever being asked for over £5 a pint. That sort of pricing in a country that is in general pretty cheap, leaves a very sour taste if you get on the wrong end of it unexpectedly.
I live in london and drank in the tourist area's often and compared to the price to where I live beer was never 10p to 20p more. I drink in a very cheap pub but I do venture further a field to very expensive night club type pubs and have never been charged more than £4 for a pint. Its like anywhere abroad, go back 20 years or so and the prices were reasonable in the resort much cheaper than here in blighty, the locals catch on you have plenty to spend and up goes the price, everybody is happy so up goes the price again and now drink is often more expensive abroad than here. When I was in majorca 2 years ago when the we were getting 1.40 euros to the £ the price of drink was 30% cheaper than turkey comparing prices listed on this forum, and I am talking about the branded spirits against the local turkish spirits. Real barcardi and bottle of coke, real martini and lemoande and a coke was £7.
Branded spirits cost a lot in turkey because of the huge tax imposed on them, unlike in Sapin. One of the main reasons for the increase generally in the price of alcohol is because the government do put a lot of tax on alcohol and it has gone up so much over the last few years.
If we're still banging on about London I went to two pubs less that 100 metres apart on the same road on Tuesday evening this week (neither of them were a JD Wetherspoon). The cost of three pints in the first pub was surprisingly reasonable at about £7, however three pints in the next pub cost over £11. We then went back to the first pub!

My most expensive UK beer was £9 (yes, nine pounds UK sterling for a single pint of beer) in Tunbridge Wells. Fortunately it wasn't my round...

Regarding the escalation of prices in Turkey ,I think you'll find much of this is down to taxation from the government and the measures they introduced to get inflation under control. I remember those happy days of getting a large Efes for about 20p, when at the same time all the prices went up about once a week during your holiday and the following year you would get twice as many Lira to the pound.
Yes I remember the days of 20p Efes too, that was back when there were only 3,000 lira to the pound!
Kedi meens 3,000000 to the £ (3 million TL)

Gene
I must say I miss all the zeros on the notes, used to make me feel rich. :D Regarding the price of the imported drinks, I know a few bar owners who ask people to take duty free spirits for them.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.