Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Couldn't agree more, Jakki - I don't see the point of visiting anywhere if you're just going to spend all your time comparing prices and complaining about it. The welcome and friendly service you get in Turkey is second to none and that's why so many of us keep coming back time and time again. Some of those working in the tourist industry in this country could learn a thing or two from their Turkish counterparts.
what i love and im sorry to say is very lacking in our throw away microwave society is home made food - most restaurants where ive been in turkey cook their food from scratch - something very few eating establishments in the uk can boast

where in the uk holiday areas can you get a casserole that tastes as heavenly as seray zeta's in gumbet without forking out Michelin star prices - if you've been you will know what i mean!!!
I agree, the welcome and service you get from those working in Bars and Restaurants is second to none, and you don't often find that at home. Food is very reasonably priced, delicious and the drink is no more expensive than at home. Of course the poor exchange rate makes things more expensive for us, but thats hardly the fault of the Turkish owners. A few weeks ago we went for a weekend to a Haven Holiday Park - you ought to see the prices there - £3.25 for a small bottle of Corona, about £3.50 for a small glass of wine etc - daylight robbery. So give me Turkey any day of the week - i guarantee I would spend less eating out and drinking for a fortnight in Turkey than I would spending it there.
Well I live in London and yes, you can get beer at £1.30 a pint but only in a Whetherspoon pub, you will also get 2 meals for £6 or something too., which is great, some of the whetherspoon pubs are very nice (although some seem to be full of drunken old men too :yikes )

However if you go to a touristy pub in London you would pay four times as much.

Same with Turkey, if you eat and drink in local restaurants and bars you will find very cheap beer and food, if you choose a touristy one you will pay touristy prices. It is the same anywhere.

On the whole London prices are a lot more than Turkish prices, especially in the tourist areas.

Anyway I know where I would rather be any day - Whetherspoons or Turkey ??? No choice really :rofl although I'm sure Whetherspoons do Efes too :cheers
I don't drink weatherspoons pubs they are boring cloned pubs, got one where I live. The point is you can drink here for less than abroad. My post is response to somebody who said saying tis cheap compared to here the bars pick up on and charge more, not meaning just turkey.

The turkish government will tax the tourist away. Just because people on this forum love turkey and go back every year the majority will vote with their feet and where they can get better value for money.
When a meal is 2 for £6 I worry...cholestrol...salt...fat... all that times two for £6.....bargain......Im sure..

No where else can you get a bubbly pipe with your fishbowl for 20 lira with lovely men dancing top less in bar X! Fact.

If you think Turkey is expensive, then you obviously eat/live in cheaper places than I do at home. :cheers
OK Greenshoes, now we just have to ask:

How much do you normally pay for bubbly pipe with fishbowl and lovely men dancing topless in the UK?

;)
Where in Europe can you get "better value for money" we are visiting Turkey for the first time this year because after 15+ years visiting Cyprus you are not getting value for money.I travel europe on buisness and except for the old eastern block Turkey gives you more for your money.
I have lived in Antalya for five years now and I have seen the drink prices go up and up.This is not the bar owners or restaurant owners fault, it's the goverment which being Muslim frowns on alchohol.They have increased the tax for the last five years and every year.You can get a very excellent steak dinner for around fifteen TL.Food prices a still cheap if you know where to go.Most of you being tourists do not know where to go and therefore pay high prices.Turkey for us is still much cheaper than the UK and we have a better quality of life here.Ãâ€ΕΎÃ‚°f you eat or drink at beachside bars etc you will pay top prices take ten minutes out to walk back from the beach and the food and drink are much cheaper.To digress slightly at the end of this year notes with New Turkish Lira on them will no longer be legal tender.Make sure you only have the new notes ' Turish Lira '
Thats if you take any home with you.

Ian

I ditto Ian's post...regarding the increase in taxes ad tariffs that are imposed by the current turkish government..here are a few articles that you all might find interesting

Five secret holiday spots in the Med..

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/destinations/europe/article6028623.ece?token=null&offset=12&page=2

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/travel/destinations/europe/article6028623.ece?token=null&offset=24&page=3

Europe (without the euro)...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2009/apr/20/europe-budget-travel-short-haul-cheap?page=2
Hi All
Regarding the prices in Turkey, I still think you will not find a holiday destination that is as cheap.
I went to Gumbet last July & was paying £1 for a pint of lager, 20p for a bottle of water in the shops, We had English breakfast most days & the prices varied between £1.50 & £3.00 & they were good value.
Evening meals were just as good because we found a steak bar that did a 25oz steak all the trimmings free garlic bread dessert & 1/2 a litre of lager for £10.I go to Turkey every year because i have not found a better place to relax & not spend a fortune.I go to Marmaris again in Sept & i know i will get the same hospitality i have had for the last 7 years, I cannot wait to go
I don't think anywhere is cheap to go on holiday any more. All over the mediteranean used to very cheap but it just isn't like that now unfortunately. I still think Turkey is a bit better value at the moment but to be honest we just go to Turkey because we love it there.
How about a 1/4 burger, salad, chips and a pint of beer any choice fosters, stella. carling, bitter, glass blossom hill aussie wine or a soft drink for £3.49 and the burger is not fatty. None of the food is cheap fatty high in salt and cholesterol, the pub is packed at lunch times with the local office workers, they have a really nice menu with plenty of health options

Greenshoes you can keep your topless men, I want topless women. :rofl
yes i like my beer and a burger from the well known chain. but i like my burger doubled . but i usually let the missus choose the drink as i have a bottle of efes for £1.89..
good question Random number!

Now, can't think of a username, do you get dancing topless women with your bargain meal? :D

6 weeks to go! :cheers
I was in Benidorm in December supposed to be one of Spains cheapest resorts, it was very expensive and a decent pint was costing about 4 quid because of the Euro, a decent meal was expensive and the service was crap. Of course prices are going to increase slightly in Turkey it's called inflation which we all have no matter where we come from. People should stop moaning about prices and open their eyes and look at the bigger picture, Turkey is still very good value for money, with second to none service, and also a beautiful country.

Steve
:whoops probably started this thread a bit early but it will be interesting to see what prices are like once people have taken their hols.
I dont go to Turkey because its "cheap",I go because I love the place!
Last October we were paying 1TL for Efes in some bars but even at 4TL that is still cheaper than what Weatherspoons charge for it.
The service and quality of food served in the local restaurants beats the quality and service here in the UK hands down.
It also beats the food served in the 5star hotels which tends to get repetitive as the holiday goes on.It is also freshly cooked and in lots of places you can actually see into the area where the food is being prepared.
The most we paid for a gorgeous meal for 2 in a fabulous Turkish restaurant was 71TL.(£28)This was in the Keram on the canal in Icmeler,a very special place,with lovely owners.
There is a member on TA who has just come back from the Parkim Ayaz and he/she seemed to think the prices around the resort were very reasonable.
I am off in 2 weeks and will try and post the prices from there.
Quite agree with you Jay Trip. Excellent Value, with excelent service and nice people in a beuatiful country.

Steve
Does it really matter how much you are paying for a pint of beer? Why go on holiday if all you are doing is watching the pennies? I have already booked to go twice to Turkey this year and found last year that the prices were really reasonable and cheaper than Corfu (where I also went last year). I agree that the difference is the people, surroundings and the overall atmosphere. Give me Turkey against Spain/Greece any time. Just a shame it takes so long to get there! 5 weeks and counting - woo hoo
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.