Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
LOL Greenshoes. :rofl Fortunately we are not huge drinkers so I guess the potential for that particular con to be done on us isn't huge.

I just wish people would be honest as if I am having some sort of cocktail with a ton of sweet fruit juice and sprite lobbed in it anyway, it's really not going to kill me to have local spirits put in it. I see myself as an honest person and just want to be treated the same.

I dont see Turkey through rosetinted specs either. To me it is just one of a few holiday destinations I go in the world that suits at this particular time in my life. It has suited our family to go there as it has a lot of what we want from a fortnights holiday.

Like Mike I feel worried for people who are going for the first time this year thinking it is a hugely cheaper alternative to the Eurozone as I think they may well be disappointed. They wont have already had ten holidays to their resort/hotel or been glued to holiday forums so know exactly which bars to go to to get Effes at a lira.

Doe :wave
Im a holiday maker who doesn't leave their common sense on the plane and I always read up on places to go and avoid within a resort re drinks and prices, however some don't.

:offtop I remember being in Tenerife and a 'lookie lookie' man stole my shoes (long story)! Now thats never happenend in Turkey :rofl

'of course not every Turkish barman is a ******, jeeeeeeezz!! Kedi you need to stop taking things so seriously! You seem to be mortally offended by anything remotely contraversial said about Turkey!'

greenshoes why have a pop at Kedi - shes just stating things as she sees it and her opinion is as valid as yours ( as im sure you will agree)

the turkey you and a few others here see ive not seen and i hope i never do - its not rose tinted glasses that makes me say that its because its the truth
ginkster wrote:
rwb46 wrote:
And here's me thinking the Barnan's paid to put the Spirit in the drink Kedi, Anyone that buys any spirits thats put in their drinks ask to see it being poured at the table you sit at, That way their is no forgetting whatsoever, I normally sit at the bar or as close to it as possible and watch them, Even in my local in Icmeler (Where I pour my own drinks) I watch the owner pour the drinks for other customers and he short charges every single time, No im not going to say where, Just use the above tip.

Kath HT Admin wrote:
Please do not provide any names.

The site has to be protetcted from libel.

Thanks

Kath x

Cmon rwb46 ,Iam going to Icmeler this year and would like the name of this place PM me with details please.

I seem to remember you asking folk to name and shame bad companys on this site !!! So why dont you ? PM me please.
:think :cheers
Thanks Louietudor, luckily I haven't seen the Turkey these people are talking about either. Fortunately for me I have never been cheated of my spirits and in the bars I have been in I have always given very generous measures - too generous for me, I can't drink anything that strong!

Yes Doe, I did say that I have seen people put mixes into branded spirit bottles, mainly because they use these eg Malibu, tequila etc for cocktails and to be able to sell them at reasonable prices they need to use local spirits but people tend to complain if they don't think they are getting the real thing. I don't see the point myself but that is what does happen sometimes.

All I can say is that my husband never cheats people with their drinks, I watched him behind the bar for many years and he always poured huge measures. I'm sure people get cheated all over the world with drinks, and Greenshoes it probably does happen in the club type bars more than anywhere butas i never go in these places I can't really comment, no doubt it happens in the UK too.

As for re-selling half drunk drinks and half eaten food, I have never ever seen that. Why would you return to somewhere that does things like that? You must be going to some really dodgy places :yikes
I've often found my drinks taste quite strong in Turkey too - and I've never felt ripped off or short-changed either. Wish I could say the same about some other countries! I've not looking at it with rose-tinted spectacles either - I'm probably more cynical and sceptical about these things than many people (and I'm a canny Scot, we're not easily ripped-off!), but I can honestly say I've never found people to be more friendly, more welcoming and showing genuine hospitality than I have in Turkey. I've met people who would go out of their way to ensure you have a good holiday and made some really lovely, genuine friendships along the way.
After spending holidays in Turkey at 4 and 5 star AI hotels I decided a couple of years ago to go B&B or HB.
I used to drink alcohol when I was at these AI hotels and some of the drinks were dreadful.
The staff are treated terrible by some guests and they are not always the most cheerful.
The two family owned and run bars in Icmeler where we go are always full and guests wouldnt go if they were given short measures. These large AI hotels attract a certain Nationality that make the British all look like angels!
The Antalya area is very popular with these folks and my goodness they can drink the sea dry!
I now prefer to spend my holidays in a area popular with British a Turkish holiday makers. :sun2
Well in both the Belcekic Beach and at Lykia World, I didnt see any holiday makers treat the staff in a bad way at all. Most of the staff were cheerful and pleasant, and went about their work in a cheerful way, although I guess they are human and can have an off day like anyone else. I guess the potential for a holiday maker to get ripped off is removed to a certain extent when you go AI. I dont feel its my right on holiday to always be greated with a smile and a song as long as folk or going about their job OK. I also dont remember seeing any of the guests the worse for drink, although these are large accommodations so I suppose it's possible and I may have missed it. However I was at both hotels for a fortnight so I would imagine if it was a huge problem I would have noticed.lol

Whoops forgotten what we were talking about, so have gone :offtop
Doe,They are in the Dalaman area and more popular with the British,whereas the hotels in the Antalya area are popular with the Nationalities I was referring to. :que

'of course not every Turkish barman is a ******, jeeeeeeezz!! Kedi you need to stop taking things so seriously! You seem to be mortally offended by anything remotely contraversial said about Turkey!'

greenshoes why have a pop at Kedi - shes just stating things as she sees it and her opinion is as valid as yours ( as im sure you will agree)

the turkey you and a few others here see ive not seen and i hope i never do - its not rose tinted glasses that makes me say that its because its the truth

Please re-read my posts as:

firstly I never mentioned rose tinted specks.

Secondly i said to Kedi as she said I was generalising by calling all barmen con artists which is of course thats not what I meant or said. Im not saying Kedi's opinion isn't valid at all, I just thought she took what I said too seriously hence why I said to stop taking this so seriously.

back to topic!!!!!! The season starts soon enough anyway so we will find out then, anyway, I have booked and paid already so even if its £10 a pint Im going so no point crying over spilt tequila :cheers
Im told via another forum that drinks are 5 lira now for a Pint and this is in Icmeler, But lets wait untill the Resort is in full swing.
That was what I was paying at beachfront in August last year
If beer is 5TL that means Sprite and Cola will probably be 6TL. :cry
I've just read that someone paid £10 for a cocktail at Lykia World, Olu Deniz. :really

I think I'll be buying my spirits in the duty free shops if that's the case!! Mind you, at least the wine / beer is free at mealtimes. :tup

4 days to go & counting :sun2
Puzzled as I am sure I didnt pay £10 for a cocktail at Lykia last summer, although I normally sign for stuff and just pay at the end of the holiday. Perhaps it's the pound collapsing.

I dont think they would be too impressed if you snuck in a hip flask and started topping up you fruit juice or sprite with your duty free. :yikes it's not that kind of place.
hi doe,

i heard the last few years that a lot of people were doing just that.

drinking their own drinks, so we did it last year with my drinks and saved over £200 compared to their prices of 5 euro's a shot. :cheers
Never saw it myself, but i guess it must go on if you say so. We didnt really see any chavvy behaviour to speak of, we did go out a lot of nights as not that struck on organised entertainment so perhaps i missed it. I did have a few cocktails at the residence bar, but didnt think they were a tenner, might be this year though. ;)
if their a tenner a shot i'll buy a case at gatwick n under cut them !! :rofl :cheers :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.