Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
Hi Donna,

It is cheap enough to eat out in Bulgaria, so SC might be the best option for you. It depends if you have kids or not.

A meal for a family of 3 can cost about £5 each, including drinks. Beer is about a quid & malibu & coke around 80p, as long as you have the local spirits. If your lucky enough to find somewhere doing happy hour then you get 2 for 1. They are more like a triple english measures. Imported beer & spirits are more expensive (almost as much as at home) :glynis

There are many restaraunts you can go to & the food is usually pretty good.

Tepe
X
Just a word of warning for people about prices quoted.

At the moment, the Pound's poor rate of exchange against the Euro (and, hence, the Lev) means that purchases in Bulgaria are likely to cost at least 10% more this year than last summer unless the Pound strengthens on World currency markets - that's purely based on currency exchange rates and doesn't take last year's 12.5% inflation rate in Bulgaria into account.

The exchange rates that I received last July/August/September, can be seen HERE - today's rate from the Bulgarian high street bank, Postbank, is £1=2.5897 Leva and even the Bulgarian National Bank's fixing rate is only £1= 2.6144 Leva.

Baldur
Hi Baldur, It's even worse here, currently CO-OP are offering only 2.35

:cry Toonman
Hi Toonman,

It's even worse here, currently CO-OP are offering only 2.35

As you are aware [because we regulars keep banging on about it ;)] the rate is always worse in the UK.

Marks & Spencer online (2.465 today) and Travelex (2.5211 today) are at least a little closer to the rates available in Bulgaria (Raiffeisen - 2.607 & Postbank - 2.5841) than those offered by Co-Op/Post Office, etc., in the UK.

Baldur
Hi Dlr 13.

The best answer to your question I think would be as prices in Bulgaria seem to alter slightly year to year that the best idea has always been to stay away from A/I as you may find the food on offer in the hotel is not to your taste, but you then feel you have paid for it and feel rather cheated when you then decide to eat out. However if you are S/C you have a vast choice of restaurants to choose from as well as different cuisines. The main thing that we have noticed in the past as regards A/I clients is that the only thing they find to their advantage is the Drinks(but only local beers and spirits) not international drinks, which are chargeable, but to buy drinks in Sunny beach is relativly inexpensive and you then have the choice of what you buy and how much you drink (as A/I seems to cause some people to over indulge) There are Supermarkets wher you can purchase most european brands of alchol and Cigarettes. ;) :tongue :tup :sun2
Self Catering would certainly be my choice as the cost of food and drinks are so cheap anyway why be stuck to eating in your hotel every night. To me eating out and finding nice restaurants is all part of the holiday.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.