Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
As I posted on the !st Sept. you could see this one coming for some time now, it pays to keep a close eye on things in these difficult times. There is usually clues out there which will give some warning that all is not well. Normally very fews big companies go burst completley out of the blue. Having said all that , it's no consolation to all those people caught up in this. This past few months I've made a point of always booking all my independant travel by credit card, although previously I used debit cards to avoid the charges, it's all you can do in these troubled times. Alan
Feel really sorry for all the thousands of people that are stranded abroad, and for the ones that are sitting in the UK air ports who were looking forward to there hols it is on the news right now, it is so disappointing for them. some of them don't seem to know what to do.

Absolutely Alan

Most people abroad will be able to get to continue there holiday and also be flown home, but it appears there are about 10,000 who booked directly with the company via there website or call centre and they are not covered it seems by ATOL and will have to make and pay arrangements and pay for their own flights home.

There must be a huge amount of emloyees also involved, who I feel really sorry for.

We as part of a package were due to fly with XL in 2 weeks, like so many others we will just have to wait and see what happens :que

Graham
Sorry to hear you were booked with them Graham, hope you get things sorted and still manage to get away.
So many of us rely on our holidays to get away from the stresses of everyday life! I find them a necessity to be honest.

There are rumours that Air Berlin may be next - I think anyone looking to go away ought to bear in mind that the cheapest flight may not be the best one to book in the current climate.

TC
Hi all new to the site. how guttered am i? we have a villa out in cyprus. Me and my young family have been looking foorward to getting away for the last 6 months. Now i hear XL have gone bump... Who am i flying with XL. Were due to fly out on Wednesday. I cant get through to XL theselves. We booked direct with htem and it seems atol dont cover. Anyone have any suggestions as to where we stand? Do i find new flights or do wait to see if i get money back. My wife is a travel agent so hopfully she can sort something out.

Best Wishes

Gareth
Did you book with a credit card gareth? Whatever, I dont think you will get any money back in the next few days, I'd try and book new flights ASAP. Good luck.
You may also have some protection with a VISA debit card.

John
My Son and his partner traveleed with XL and are now stuck in Egypt, the holiday rep is nowhere to be found, atol's website and telephone system have crashed and I have absolutely no idea where to go next can anyone give me any advice?

wendy
Hi Wendy,

Welcome to HT - wish it was in better circumstances !

Give us a few details and I'm sure someone will come up with something.

Are they DIY (booked flight only with XL) or with a tour company - if so who ?
Did they pay by Credit Card etc

John
Wendy, was their XL flight part of a package deal under another tour operator? If so they may be ok.

John123, can I ask how the protection works on a visa debit card? Is it the same as credit card protection? Thanks.
I know devastated. Ah well. suppose i syart looking for flights. My visa debit doesnt cover me :que I always thought the visa badge meant it came with privaleges. Can you still get cheap flights if you wait untill the night before you fly for silly money or is that a thing of the past? Were very flexible on time as it is our own villa.

GAreth
Shorty,

It seems that a debit card with the VISA logo may offer some purchase protection but apparently not as much as the credit card. If you 'Google' it you will find various discussions on money forums. For confirmation, I would contact your bank.

John.

Edit for a link

http://www.visaeurope.com/personal/onlineshopping/main.jsp
  • Edited by john123 2008-09-12 08:19:41
Gareth,

I have found that Olympic have some good 'last minute' flight deals on the past and they certainly fly to Cyprus ( probably Eurocypria for charters)

John
we booked with these to go to mallorca 4th october, feel very let down booked villa seperate. Dont know if we will beable to afford more flights now, spoke to credit card company this morning hopefully will refund me by next week. Cant get refund for villa as booked with debit card. I dont know how these companies get away with it.
Shamus,

If you can afford it, I would be looking for alternative flights ASAP before they get snapped up. There are plenty of airlines flying to Palma.
Guess you will end up paying more but maybe you won't lose the villa.

Good Luck

John.
I have found that Olympic have some good 'last minute' flight deals on the past and they certainly fly to Cyprus ( probably Eurocypria for charters)

I am just of the phone too our travel agent as we are (were) almost due to fly to Rhodes with XL as part of a package with Olympic, they have informed me that a lot of the flights being used by Olympic were booked with XL Airlines, so Olympic at the moment will also be trying to find alternative flights.
He booked his holiday via travel republic, but I can't get through to them either. I think he booked with a credit card, I will ring him and find out.
For those effected by the demise of XL this link will take you to the CAA/ATOL site where you can find more information and how you should claim.

http://www.caa.co.uk/XLLeisureGroup.html

fwh
Its bad for the passengers but what about the staff that the XL Leisure group employed. No one is even thinking about us at all. We haven't been told about anything, we have just been left in the dark.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.