EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
this does not bode well for the booking i am about to make,just what i fear,i know its an old post but if you see this could you please give the property reference for this place?thank you!
What a horrible experience that will have been jo, I suppose there is always that risk when renting privately.

I know it's too late now, but rather than driving back to the airport and going home, which presumably meant you had to buy extra tickets, perhaps you should have stayed in a hotel nearby, gone back the next day and caused havoc!!!!!!!!
Hi

The reference number of that villa was NER019, if that helps! The webiste it was advertised on, very cleverly left no contact email address for complaints and in the small print said they are not responsible for anything going wrong etc.,, does make you wonder why they give it all the blerb about quality control..............I definitely had my fingers burnt on that one!

In answer to Madsue's comments, I wish I could have stayed around to cause havoc, its just that my parents are not well, my father has diabeties and my mum is not well either so I had my work cut out just getting them home.

Even a gesture of goodwill by returning a small amount would have been nice, but there are some cruel people out in this world,......hope they can sleep at night!!!
Have you done a search in Google for NER019
You will find a website shown.
The "owners" contact name is ther.
Do another search in Google UK for "owners name" and you will find more details.
I think this has to be a lesson to us all. Before you go, if you have booked with a private owner, make sure you have contact numbers in the place you are going, email addresses from the owners, addresses of where you are going........and I mean real addresses......that you can find by looking on the internet. Ring the local numbers before you leave UK, double check everything.
Dang - unfortunately we have had to remove your comments regarding this particular person, as this could cause potential libel problems for HT. Please do not name people - thanks.

Kath HT Admin
Before you go, if you have booked with a private owner, make sure you have.......... addresses of where you are going..............that you can find by looking on the internet.

Where would you find that on the internet, Sue? :shrug
:D Sorry! Yes, that didn't read very well did it!!!! Once you have been given the actual address you can use one of the online street maps to find the exact location. For example, a good one is http://www.callejero.lanetro.com for Spain.

This not only pinpoints the street, but shows hotels, cafes, restaurants etc in the vicinity.

Of course I know this only shows that such an address exists, but I think when one does DIY, the more info you have the better. You would be surprised just how many people turn up here in Lanzarote, for example, with just an printed out email, no island contact numbers, no idea where they are staying exactly etc etc.

Sorry jo :oops: gone completely off subject. Not of any help to you and your problem :(
jo, well I have been on their website for a long time today, trying to work out how you can post about your bad experience. Even under "testimonials" there is no way for you to add your own :shock: Usually, you can copy and paste a website, but I seem to be blocked every time I try! The website is very slick isn't it, and I feel very involved with you in this as my parents are exactly the same as yours, diabetic, heart problems, trusting that they will be looked after etc etc.

Wondering now, if anyone out there has a suggestion as to how to "out" either this website, or the owners????
Hi Madsue

I appreciate you looking at this for me, but I seemed to come up against a brickwall also. That's why I had to put something on the Holiday truths website, as I didn't want someone else being caught out in the same way. If it helps to stop it happening to someone else, then it has been worthwhile.
As it happens my parents have always gone to Tenerife but were looking to go to somewhere with a shorter flight, but this experience has told them that they are better sticking with what they know!!
Many thanks for your concern and help,
Regards Jo
The only people I know other who have had similar experiences have had them in Nerja.

I wonder what it is about this area as I've been booking private villas and apartments for years without any problems although I've never been to Nerja.

My advice would be to always telephone the owner so that you can ask questions and get more of a feel for things.

One tip is ask how often they themselves go to the property. owners who visit regularly tend to invest more in decoration etc than owners who just use it for renting.
eek sorry admin,my brains abit clapped out and i just didnt think,my apologies!

has anyone ever rented or know anyone who has rented through sol villas?i am about to and just a tad nervy!
Are these in the same place that jo booked, or from the same website? If it is the same website, I would be a bit wary after jo's experience
I think you should carry on with what you are doing by naming and shaming (to a certain extent) on the internet.

I would be absolutely gutted if I got a bad write up on the net about my apartments. Luckinly I live on the same complex and I actually know that sometimes I fuss too much over my guests, but I want them to have a good holiday, just like I expect to when I go on my hols.

Have you tried contacting the owner of the rentals site where you booked it, or are they they the owners of the villa?

Are the owners english?? Could you do anything through the trading standards?? Or maybe even the local tourism.

Good luck and I hope you manage to get some compensation.

vvv
madsue said "I think this has to be a lesson to us all. Before you go, if you have booked with a private owner, make sure you have contact numbers in the place you are going" which I could not agree more with, but in addition, a contact number for the person you are booking with or renting from.
Take a look at some of the adverts on this and other forums. No telephone number or addresses stated.
Are you suggesting that a private rental owner puts his own personal address onto his advertising? :shock:
Yes, and or telephone number.
We are only too ready to offer advice on rogue motor traders who advertise goods and operate from mobile telephones, so what is so different to renting a property.
Hasn't someone recently done that (not in Lanzarote) by selling on an auction site?
Well if anyone advertising their property on this site is thinking of putting their private address onto their ad, just one word of advice.............DON'T!!
The reason being?
Does that go for telephone numbers also?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.