Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Hi guys

is there a diamond season in Goa. I am looking to go in the on the last weekend of March to buy an engagement and wedding ring.

Thanks
Chris
Don't know about a season, but as the tourist season comes to a close there should be a few bargains around. But , I am only guessing.
I want to buy my wife a couple of pair of stud earings each with a single ruby, can anyone siuggest what is an average price to pay for earrings.

We are staying in Candolim and whilst we been satisfied where we have bought from in the past i think its time to look elsewhere.

GM06
Ian
If you are looking for good quality jewellery and great service try Jaipur Tiffanys Jewellers opposite Highland Beach Resort in Candolim. This is a family jewellers that has been going for 5 years in Goa.
They are also offering wholesale to other shops so you will get a better deal here as they are the wholesaler. They charge the same prices to the customer as to other shops.
Hi

Does anyone know the best place in Candolim to buy platinum wedding rings for both bride & groom. My daughter will be arriving in March for 2 weeks & gets married back home in July. She had her engagement ring made in England & twice it had to be retuned due to lost diamond, so ended up having a different one & it wasn't cheap. So really need a jeweller that can be recommended, I have bought a ring before from GURU's & it was fine but it wasn't platinum.

All advice welcome

Thanks
AJ
I have bought a few pieces of jewellery in India.

Glimpses of India at the front of Dona Alcina. Good Jewellery if a little pricy.

Chandra opposite Glimpses or down the beach road, there are a number of jewellers.

You could try the jewellers in the Hotel where you are staying. Most survive on reputation and only sell good quality products, although they can be pricy.

Hope this helps.

Al
I am 99% sure that platinum is not available in Goa .
Go and see Ali at Raj jewellers at the Highland Beach just returned home
with a super pendant made from all my old gold bits,with a diamond
set in the corner,also had a solitaire ring 1ct made for a friend she,s so
pleased with it.I also had a Tanzanite ring made its super,Ali is so helpfull
he will certainly look after you.
Ann :)
I've never seen it either. White gold yes - I've had 2 lovely white gold diamond rings.
Im almost certain you cant get it in Goa either.
Ann have you or your friend had any of the rings valued yet :?:
well having just returned from my first trip to goa i have one shining recommendation and one i wouldn't go back there if you paid me to report from our experience of the jewellers.

first the not so good

Ashoka Jewellers

We walked in to this place and told the guy what we were looking for (a diamond engagement ring) and to start off with everything was going great. Out came lots of things for us to look at and a bit of gentle sales patter. i started to have a closer look at some of the diamonds he was showing us (all of which were bigger really than we wanted) and all were horrendously flawed even to the naked eye. we asked nicely if it would be possible to maybe see some smaller, less flawed stones. this idea the guy we were talking to was less than happy with and carried on showing us things that were i would say between 1.5 and 2 carats but very yellowy and full of marks. it was clear that he was trying to blind us with the size of these things even though we had said we would like to see something a bit cleaner.
At this point the son started giving it the hard sell saying "oh people won't be examining it they will only see you have a massive ring" and all this type of stuff saying that a smaller cleaner stone would be the same price there as it would be at home anyway bla bla bla bla. anyway we soon walked out and headed for (on the recommendation of this thread really)

Living Jewels

Could not have been a more different story in here! Had a nice long chat with the guy (Perry i think) about what we were after in terms of clarity, colour size etc and then we had a good look at a few different stones. he was even willing to line them up next to each other so you could see the difference in colour better which it seems alot of people are not prepared to do. We ended up with a one carat round brilliant cut diamond, G colour and i think VVS2 quality in a platinum band.

just need to get it valued now but as it is an engagement ring it doesn't matter that much to us, as long as it is worth what we paid for it which i know it will be then we are very happy.

also got a pair of 0.5 (each) carat princess cut earrings which were the bonus of buying the ring in india.

so anyway, i am now engaged, what have i done!
i have just had a platinum engagement ring made by living jewels, it was sent to mumbai to be made.
Congratulations :tup and now hurry up with the trip report :rofl
Colleen my friend who the ring was for has left today for Las Vegas will return on the
19th march so having ring valued then,will keep you informed.
Brought back a lovely wedding band for Galaxykid [made by Ali Raj Jewellers]have just
posted it by recorded delivery he will pobably do a report on it.
Ann :wave:
Thanks Ann I love to hear all the jewellery stories ....
im surprised at Ashoka's he has a very nice collection of stones usually,but obviously you can buy what you want the good the bad and the in differant. you should always invest in a tenner in a good eye glass from uk that way have a good look into the gems you are looking to buy, most gems in india are flawed chipped and double cut to look alot better than they really are. top tip for buying in Goa. pick the ring as you all know money is not a problem take the ring and pay me next year. do it. or if your not that brave take the ring or jewellery and say you want to try it, take it to several other jewellers and get there opinion and prices. but dont lie top them about the price you pay you only make yourself ill when they say they would match the price or better it.
you can order it before you go or if your there for two weeks isnt a problem to get it, from the bigger jewellers like chandra, hari ohm ashoka will do platinum also.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.