Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
I still have my old paper licence. Can this be used to hire a car in Cyprus?
My late husband always used his.

He wouldnt part with it lol.

Kath x
Not sure - maybe someone else will come along and confirm/deny - but I think you need a photographic licence.

Dave
Old paper licence is fine. Well it was in February at Petsas :)
We are staying in Protaras and was just curious as to how much a weeks rental would be compared to 3 or 4 days. Can't remember how mush we paid for three days last year. Think the place we hired from was called Sivili or something along those lines, they were directly across the road from the fountain roundabout on the strip where the kiddies amusements were. If anyone knows of them or has there tel no that would be a great help. Think they are also a travel agent.
I swear by Petsas.
They do free CDW for a weeks hire if booked on t'interweb, IIRC.

Always email hire companies for a quote, ignore website prices. I've always got a better deal that way.
Wow - emailed Petsas a few weeks ago and the price they have booked for us is about 400 euros less than the quote it gives on the website! :cheers

We've booked an Astra or similar with air con to be picked up from Larnaca airport for two weeks, with an infant seat and a car seat for an amazing price!

Only problem is havng to wait until October :cry
Thanks Guys x
See what I mean!
I have never, in many years of using them, had a problem with Petsas.

Mark
Does anyone know where l can hire a car in protaras that fairly cheap.
I would love to use Petsas but the quote they have given me for 14 days in October is over 500 euros! Economy Car Hire are quoting 272 euros - no contest.
I used my paper licence a couple of weeks ago with no problems - you don't need a photo-id licence

Dave
Hi staying at the Atlantica Bay hotel soon, does anybody know the best place to hire a car for a couple of days, dont want to ripped off! thanks Chris x
cyprus junkie we used petsas 2 years ago as we were staying at the toxotis where they were based. we booked it all over the internet as recommended and thought it was very good price until we went down to collect it on the day!! the guy was very late and did not apologise they forgot the child seat so we had to wait another half hour for that and he charged an extra 50euros for petrol which we were told was included online. he got a bit angry when we pointed this out and said we must not have understood the terms and conditions so my husband just paid up rather than spoil our holiday! we paid 149euros for a nissan note from doros last thursday for 3 days including child seat and full tank of petrol so your deal with economy sounds very good just make sure you have it all in print to back you up!! and enjoy your holidays I am so jealous even though we just got back yesterday from a fortnight in Pernera!
Petsas' website has always had 2 sections to its T & C page; what's included and what's NOT included.
Fuel is/always has been in the NOT included section for as long as I've been using them.

Mark
Mark, I need some of your extensive knowledge of Petsas please!

Have tried emailing in the past for pricing and was told to just look at the website(!) which is quite a bit more expensive than the other companies out there, but thought I'd try again"¦

I got a reply pretty quickly and the price is now on a par with the company I used back in April.
Impressed so far!

Couple of questions though. When I collect (from Larnaca airport) do they meet you? The ones I used in April picked us up in a minibus and took us all to their office away from the airport which although wasn't far, was a bit of a pain. Car had to be taken back there as well.

Do you know roughly how much they charge for fuel? I know most companies bump this up a bit. How does the fuel system work with them? Delivered full, charged for and return empty or delivered full and return full?

Thanks in advance

Kerry
Kerry,

Whilst your awaiting a reply from Mark:

We had a car from Pestas in September 08.

They have a desk in Larnaca just after arrivals on the right hand side. The fuel is paid for up front, we paid 60 Euro on top of our hire charge and were advised to return it empty.....rather difficult really, so i suspect they always score on that front and it's not how they used to do things. But all in all a good service.
Hi Kerry,

I have had cars from Petsas at both airports.
Paphos is not 24/7, but telling them what time your flight is will ensure someone would be there to meet you.

Your port of entry, Larnaca, has a Petsas office open 24/7.
Fuel, as Miss_Chief1 has stated, is paid for up front.

They will ask for a credit card so that they have some comeback if you return the car damaged or with anything missing.
Count your wheel trims. Some thieving b*st*rd nicked one of mine in a car park in Paphos. I nicked one in the airport car park when I returned the car. :wink:

You can, if you gauge it right, return the car almost running on fumes. I have a couple of times, but bearing in mind how much petrol costs over there (at filling stations, not hire company prices, although on our last trip over 2 years ago :cry: we paid Petsas what I thought to be a reasonable amount for a full tank. Bear in mind also the convenience of not having to find a filling station as soon as you arrive) what's a gallon between friends?

Mark
Thanks Miss_Chief1 and Mark, your help is really appreciated.

One last thing, the one thing that I was impressed about with the company I used in April was the age of the car. It had literally done 100km and so was almost brand new.

What are the age of the Petsas cars on average?

Thanks again,
Kerry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.