Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
2 course meal for 2 people with a beer and an another alcoholic drink- under £10 :D
Fiona
That's music to my heart! :glynis

Glad that we're going room only!

Polly
of course if you eat at hotels it can be a lot more expensive. A guide and car for the day is £20.
Hi Polly,

If I remember correctly, you leave at the beginning of September for 3 weeks - lucky soul, we still have 5 weeks (today) but who's counting :lol:

I think that Fiona's Trip Report has been music to our ears - now with her revalation that food is not too differently priced to what we paid 5 years ago, I can hardly wait.

I think we get continental breakfast bundled in at PS. I know that last time we were in Bali we found it difficult to spend money - had to eat at places like Bumbu Bali to get rid of the Rupiah!

Rogueslayer21 - we found prices in Bali were slightly higher than Goa and, perhaps, slightly lower than Thailand. Anyone else got a view on this?

Peter
Hi Pete
Spot on with your memory, we leave on 4th September for 20 nights.
we found prices in Bali were slightly higher than Goa and, perhaps, slightly lower than Thailand. Anyone else got a view on this?

We can certainly live with that! :glynis

As with Goa in February 2007, we'll miss each other at airports etc.
We're back in Goa middle of November.

Hope you have a great time, are you planning to visit Ubud and Borobudur at all?

Polly
Hi Polly,

Ubud is a certainty - no plans at all for Borobudur (enjoy flying over the volcanos of Java but never had the urge to go there). We leave UK on 27th and get to Bali (via Singapore) on 1 Oct - so yes, we miss one another again. I believe that GEC from NI will be at PS at the same time as us - so we will keep our eyes peeled.

When are you leaving for Goa in November? We are off to Thailand in Nov - LGW/AMS/BKK on 15th - will we pass again at an airport???

Peter
Hi Pete
Yep, we fly from Gatwick on 17th November so we miss again.

Polly
Well eating and drinking certainly seem cheap in Bali. That's good to know. I'm really looking forward to trying the food. I'm guessing the wine will mostly be imported from Australia or can you get local stuff? My favourite place for food (and everything else) is Goa, but we'll see how Bali compares. We arrive at the Puri Santrian 29th Sept. We'll be taking a few days away for seeing around then back to the PS to chill out until 13th Oct. We're on room only so hopefully we'll get to try lots of the local restaurants.
the local wine is Hatten. I liked the dry white. Didn't like the other white a lot and the red was horrible :lol:
I had a wee look at the Hatten website. They do quite a few wines but some are fortified and others are sweet. I like dry whites and reds so I'll give those a go when I get there. Around how much would a bottle cost? I know it would depend on the restaurant. Is it easy enough to get imported wines too?
the Aga white was the one I liked. I can't remember how much it was in the restuarants but it was £4 in the shop I think. There are plenty Australian brands there.
There is a huge alcohol problem in Bali at the moment and you can only purchase local beer and wines. The shops are bare of foreign imports.
Check out the Bali Times:
http://www.thebalitimes.com/2007/08/09/permit-confusion-leaves-bali-%e2%80%98dry%e2%80%99/

Cheers Geri
:shock:

Less than 4 weeks to go - the thought of a dryish holiday is not too appealing. Unlike Fiona, we have never yet found a local wine that we enjoy. (The dry white with soda water does make a passable refreshing spritzer though).

Thanks for the info Geri - at least we will be prepared.

Beer and local cocktails - will we survive :wink:

Peter
I forgot about that. We read about the shortages while we were there. However, that article said that they were strictly enforcing the quotas, seems they have gone a stage further now? We did notice a lack of spirits in the shops and also was told in one bar that they had no bacardi left. Apart from that,things were ok. We also had Australian wine a couple of times.
Oh dear, don't like the idea that imported drinks may be in short supply. Well, I suppose we'll just have to try the local stuff and hope that it's ok. A dry holiday just wouldn't apeal at all. We go to chill out and relax and a few wee bevvies on a night are all part of the fun.
Have to say we usually stick to the local stuff anyway- so much cheaper and in a lot of cases not that much difference in taste

Then again we do usually stick to beer
Bingtang beer isn't a problem, but the little 'stubby' bottles are hard to get... you'll just to buy a big one :lol:
I don't mind Hatten's wine so I'm alright Jack.... :wink:
I'm sure we'll be ok as long as we can get wine and beer. We like to try the local stuff too and usually find it alright. I don't normally drink spirits but do they make local versions of vodka, rum, whiskey etc or can you just get arak?
We arrive on the 15th Sept and will be ready for a beer or 3 when we have checked in (bit like when we arrive in Goa) and like GEC says we will have to try the local spirits and use plenty of mixers............needs must.

Jules
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.