Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Enfidha airport
50 Posts
Hi BrenLiz

Monastir to Sousse is about 25km and takes about 30(ish) minutes depending on traffic, the brand new Enfidha Zine El Abidine Ben Ali International Airport is located about 40km from sousse however the travel times might be similar as the new airport is located directly off the A1 motorway making transport links quicker.
I've never used it but the following website gives you info on the distances the key cities in Tunisia are from the three main airports:

http://www.therouteshop.com/enfidha-airport/

It lists Enfidha as being 40kms (approx 25 miles) from Sousse compared to Monistir being only 25kms (approx 15.5 miles) away but given that most of the tourist hotels in Sousse are to the north of the city (and therefore closer to Enfidha than the city itself) then I would assume that there's is probably not that much in it really. Given that taxis are so much cheaper there than here, then the extra cost is not going to be a large amount and it certainly looks a much better airport! I would imagine that in the end it will become the main gateway for tourist flights from the UK

SM
Thank you so much for your quick replies, HT to the prompt and efficient rescue as ever!
Where will you be flying from BrenLiz? A friend of mine flew into Enfidha from Sweden and I've been looking into it and it says there are no direct flights from the UK.
Strangely enough the flight is from Leeds and Bradford to Monastir with Thomsons but they fly back out from Enfidha. Don't know whether the flights are changing for the summer season at that time. As we are doing flight and hotel separately we have to do our own transfers.
Strange indeed! Have a look at A2B for transfers as I used them from Tunis to Sousse in April and they were fine. I used to use Med Hotels transfers if I flew into Tunis and they were as cheap as chips, but they officially only went to their own hotels and one had to 'negotiate' to be dropped off anywhere else! They have now stopped going to Sousse from Tunis so I switched. A2B drop you off right at your hotel and you telephone them 24 hours before departure to arrange the pick-up time. I just grab a cab if I'm flying into Monastir (and 'negotiate' like mad!!) :rofl
Thanks for that, will let you know how I get on.
Just done a quick dummy run for you and at present, although A2B list Enfidha airport, when I input a date towards the end of next April, they say "No transfers found". This could be because they haven't got notification of these flights yet, but you don't need to worry about transfers until a lot nearer the time.
I had also taken a quick look and didn't find any transfers available, however you are the first person that has reported that they are flying in to Enfidha so presumably as more charter flights start using the airport the availability of independent transfers etc will increase to meet the demand.

It looks a lovely airport, we past it a few months ago and I had a look as we passed.
Ok, thanks very much for your help.
I was checking prices for May next year to go the Tour Khalef (again) :D,with Thomsons and they are using Enfidha airport from Manchester so it looks like Monastir is not going to be used by Thomson for Sousse any more :que

Like the Idea of faster transfers especially during rush hour it sure took some time to get through Sousse :rofl
Parents just booked with Thomsons for next June flying from Scotland and they are going to the new airport.They had to go into the shop and book as the online wesbite (Thomascook and DH also) aren't listing any holidays. The shop said it was to do with Monastir closing?? I thought the tour ops were just moving airports, I didn't think Monastir was closing?
Very curious I've heard rumours that Monastir may be closed some time but not in the immediate future. Doing a dummy run on a booking for next April from Stansted it simply says "arrives Tunisia", not Monastir, which it has always done in the past. I've just made enquiries of the ex-pats in the area and will post if I find out anything. Incidentally my flight for this October has gone up by £80 since I booked it a while ago.
**** Breaking News****

An inside scource ;) at Monastir Airport has just informed me that 'Thomson and Thomas Cook are using Enfida from next summer, Thomson will also operate an additional flight on fridays as well'

Graham
Remember you heard it here first folks! Have you any idea where the Friday flights will be from Graham? I'm not really bothered whether they land in Monastir or Enfidha but would prefer they go from Stansted and I'm definitely not going from 'oop North'. :roll: Prices seem to have gone up a lot for next year so I'll be keeping an eye out for when they come down again.
Have just had a look at the website for TAV Airports who operate both Enfidha and Monastir. All I can find is that TAV have the tender for both airports for 40 years. I can't see any announcements on what is planned for Monastir. Though whether this means there is no planned closure or that any plan is in too early stages to announce is anyone's guess!
Thomascook shop said yesterday that they haven't got all their holidays yet for Tunisia next year as with the new airport they aren't sure on prices yet....just going to wait this one out
Two responses direct from Tunisia. It seems that Monastir is to be closed for refurbishment but exactly when and how long it will take is not clear.
When we were out in May the Thomas cook rep on the bus (I know this doesn't mean much really lol) said that Thomsons were going to the new airport but Thomas cook weren't as Monastir would still be operating. This ties in with what the shop has told me in that they are now moving to the new airport as it is going to be closed and it was not prepapred for meaning they are reorganising and pricing holidays.

Im hoping this doesn't mean prices will be going up?? :duh
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.