Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
I would say that the best places for a reception in Protaras would be either, Diva or The Corner,although a favourite of ours in Nicholas Taverna which would be a lot more informal
and a lot more Cypriot, whereas The Corner or Diva is a bit more steak, british and Cypriot food, but very nice.
Go for the Corner restaurant, ive been eating there for the past ten years and is the best restaurant in protaras in my opinion, google it and have a look
Has anyone used the Blue spice restaurant in protaras?, this has been recommended also for our wedding reception
Hi thanks for that will have a look at the corner restaurant also
tonys restaurant in kapperis is a good place to go friendly as tony says ''sound as a pound''.
Yaaaaaay! Nicolas Tavern is now open & been done out ;)

When Nicolas took his trip to Athens in the winter my dad had to feed his cats for him (blesshim!) everyday he would come back from the restaurant and call me "I've been to nicolases today it's getting better everyday!" Damn, i so can't wait to be sat in there thursday!!!

CourtneeLouise.
x
Jolousmith We went to Blue Spice in June 2006 as lots of people on here recommended it! It wasn't as great as we were expecting but I dont know if that was because I was pregnant (but didn't know) and the smell of food was making me feel woozy!!! Hubby said his pasta was ok but a bit bland!! How about The Rock or Anatolia on the top road between Pernera and Protaras that way if you have family staying at both locations you can all meet in the middle. Both are quite roomy and get very busy quickly but still manage to serve gorgeous food. Having said that havent really had a bad meal during our 4 holidays to Cyprus.
Gardens resturant,Nissi Avenue.

Peppered steak,flambe. :tup
In Pernera the 'Kalamies' is excellent - walk down from the 'main' road at the Chinese restaurant, go past the 'Jolly Waiter' (which is also very good) and, at the beach front you'll find the 'Kalamies'. Well worth a short walk.
The 'Noufaro' is also first rate - try the mezes. La Cultura del Gusto is classy but top quality - expect to pay twice what you'd pay in a regular restaurant.
Two of us were paying around 30 - 35 euros for two or three courses, a beer and a coke in most places but paid 72 euros in La C. del G. (but we had a bottle of wine).
If you go to Paralimni I would suggest that you give the 'Alkionia' a wide berth!
For a late afternoon beer (or a light lunch) try the kiosk with the grassy area in front which is on the waterfront walkway between Protaras and Pernera.
For a late afternoon beer (or a light lunch) try the kiosk with the grassy area in front which is on the waterfront walkway between Protaras and Pernera.

So you mean Zafiros ?
Just back :( and had lovely meals at Island Affair and Il Basilico in Protaras.

Island Affair pricey though! Two steak meals, four local spirits with mixers and two Irish coffees - approx 70€ :yikes

Was nice though :rofl
Hi Kezzabelle, Did you think it was more expensive than usual? and what sort of exchange rate were you getting if you dont mind me asking? My hubby keeps saying we will go to Indian in Pernera one night but last year it came to well over 50 pounds for 2 starters and main meals. Trying to work out exactly how much to take this year as little one will be 2 and a half so will be wanting everything!!
In Pernera one of our favourite all round places is The Blue Spice Restuarant. you couldn't ask for better surroundings, over looking the pool, the beach, all the artwork and the very friendly staff !

The food is always well presented and well made -
The dip Selection is a lovely selection of things like houmous, tahini etc
Sea Bream Filleted sea bream with a selection of veg and salad (note there is more sea bream under the other piece)
a Greek Salad even a simple salad is well made !

We can't fault it even though sometimes it seems a little more expensive than other places, you don't mind a few extra euro's as you know you will get quality !

Steve
Lordy - Hi Kezzabelle, Did you think it was more expensive than usual? and what sort of exchange rate were you getting if you dont mind me asking? My hubby keeps saying we will go to Indian in Pernera one night but last year it came to well over 50 pounds for 2 starters and main meals. Trying to work out exactly how much to take this year as little one will be 2 and a half so will be wanting everything!!

In April this year while lots of places were still shut so choice was limited I took some pics of menu's/bill boards etc, have a look for yourself - Cyprus 2009 (April)

Steve
Hi Lordy

I would say it was a bit more expensive than usual, of course the locals thought so too. For example something that changed when the euro came in and the rate made it 1.06, this was rounded up to 1.1 Doesn't sound much but it all adds up.

It was always slightly misleading when it was Cyrpus pounds, because I think you can automatically make the contrast with UK pounds and think it was really cheap, whereas in reality it wasn't.

Our exchange rate at the time was 1.07 (so £1 = 1.07€ almost 1 for 1!)

Still worth it though being there, Cyprus was always a little more expensive than somewhere like say, Spain. Saying that, having been to Tenerife last November, there's not much difference now.

Kerry
well it was £1 for euro in one of the supermarkets near macronosis last June so it wont be all that much different then!! and its beats being at home :tup askcy thanks for those photos gives us a good idea how much we will be spending :cheers
What previous visitors have to bear in mind is that at the time of the changeover the Euro was 1.71 to the Cyprus pound. The exchange rate of around 1 Euro for 1 Pound Sterling makes everything about 70% more expensive than it was a couple of years ago before you even think about factoring in inflation etc.

Mark
What previous visitors have to bear in mind is that at the time of the changeover the Euro was 1.71 to the Cyprus pound. The exchange rate of around 1 Euro for 1 Pound Sterling makes everything about 70% more expensive than it was a couple of years ago before you even think about factoring in inflation etc.

I agree. The rates are terrible.

I do miss the Cyprus pound as well! I still have some from two years back and can't change now, so will give it to charity instead. Maybe keep just one pound note for the memory...

Kerry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.