Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Floods in Sharm
20 Posts
:rofl When we were there in july one of the hotel staff told us it had not rained in 8 years I did find that a bit hard to believe ...colleen
When we were there in july one of the hotel staff told us it had not rained in 8 years I did find that a bit hard to believe

:think Just before we arrived it poured with rain for a few days when we were there in January 2008, it rained slightly when we were there and it rained again after we left when our friend arrived the following week.
It says that one woman has died and 9 have been injured. Hotels have been without heat and water overnight.

I hope every one is OK :(
How awful wendy . where did you see this report .
i have read it on http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8466546.stm

is that how you post a link??

says 7 killed in flash floods etc in Sharm and in other parts of Egypt up to 25 people are reported missing.

There are quite a few reports on various sites.
Have a few pics of El Gouna underwater if I can suss out how to load them!!!
The phones are back up now.

News just come in from a friend who is over there. She and her children are fine. The hotel is flooded and they have been told to stay in their room. She said there are loads on injuries though.

What a horrid thing to happen to families on holiday :(
My husband and I returned from Sharm this morning at Gatwick at 4am. We were meant to fly back from Sharm on Sunday evening but the storm soon put a stop to that. We were sat in the plane on the runway when the storms began and had to stay there 3hrs while decisions were made. In the end we disembarked and were transfered to a hotel. The roof at terminal 1 had collapsed and 4 flights were cancelled that night. Thomson put us in a lovely new hotel but we had to drive through rivers to get there. The roads were seriously flooded. All phone lines went down although we were told that local lines were working when we left last night.

Arriving at Sharm airport at 6.30pm for a 8.30pm flight back to Gatwick last night didn't happen. There were English people everywhere, no reps, no food vouchers, no water. People on suitcases and no communication about when the flight was going to go. We boarded at 11pm and took off at midnight but the crew said they had been waiting there since 2pm that afternoon but unable to contact hotels due to phone lines down. A complete shambles and a 27hr delay.
A horrible situation for everyone. Glad you are home safe and sound!
How awful Blanch im sure your glad to be home ...poor people who are still out there now ...colleen
how awful.....one of my workmates is supposed to fly out in about 2 weeks to sharm....he was really exited about it....some how I cant see tour operaters sending people out on holidays when this is going on......and imagine it will take more than a few weeks to put everything right.....tweetie
Tweetie-I wouldn't think for one minute that people will not be going to Sharm just now because of this, and tour operators will not stop sending people. Flights are going back and fore after all.... I am going next Thursday, and fully expect to travel. the sun was out and shining there today!
hi meerkat2505...I really hope so....it just sounded really bad what I read...tweetie
Hi Tweetie - yes, tt was really bad on Sunday night from what I read too, but reading lots of other posts today on the net from people actually in Sharm it seems like it's past. It sounded an awful experience for those who were there, and no doubt there will lots to do to get back to normal, but they are still managing to function and power etc is back on, and they are starting to dry things out Tell your workmate to look forward to going - I know I am!!
I am pretty sure everything will be back to normal in no time at all..or as normal as it can be. Egypt, especially Sharm relies very heavily on tourism and I am certain that operators will continue to send passesngers there....

we are going to Egypt next Friday........bring it on!! :tup
There was power and sunshine when we left on Sunday afternoon. Only thing not working was international and mobile phones but sure that would be fixed by now. The roads had mostly cleared from Sharm airport along main roads and the staff at the hotel were we were put up for the night were mopping up all night long. Would recommend the Louis Tiran Sharm to anyone but not the Hauza Beach Resort. Wouldn't return to Sharm again but hope u all have fab hols.
Checked the TC flight number for the one I will be going on next Thursday and it left as usual today - only 30 mins late.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.