Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hello all...

Can someone please clarify something for me?

In brief (Uk national marrying Turkish national) - Once you have got CONI (UK), been to Consulate (IZMIR), documents verifies, translation stamped from Govenor (?)... Am I right that you then go to registrar to book date for wedding? OR do you get married at registry office and have 'party' as wedding? OR does registrar come to wedding party and marry us there? :que I'm a little confused as if you are trying to plan wedding how can you plan if you don't have date from registrar? Also do you have blood tests done prior to seeing registrar of after? And who do you show the results of blood tests too?

It is the date of wedding that I am a little stuck with re organising a date and planning OR can you simply book wedding date in advance with registrar???

Sorry for questions, just need a little clarity. We are unsure what to do as yet and will be planning in summer. Just would like accurate info before hand. The idea of actuall wedding outside season and wedding party in summer sounds like it could lift a weight, but would not be the same.

:tongue help!
Hi Ruth,

The registrar can come to the wedding and perform the ceremony there, in front of your guests, but if you choose to do everything in advance, you can get married at the registry office beforehand too.

If you are using a wedding planner, they can book the date for you in advance but for direct bookings, most registrars would prefer to see at least some of the paperwork before they will book a date. If you have your documents from the consulate done, you can then visit the registrar, and at least provisionally book the date whilst you get the blood tests sorted out. You need to have a medical report issued based on your blood test results but how this is done and how long it takes varies, depending on where you are looking to get married...

Some registrars are more helpful while some are more strict. Truth is that they don't have to book you a date until your paperwork is complete so if they don't show goodwill, you will have to wait until everything is ready.

If your fiance is in Turkey, it might be a good idea for him to visit the registrar in person and try and book the date face to face as you would have much better chance at it face to face rather than by phone.

Good luck!
Hello Hayal, thank you for your quick reply,

You said "most registrars would prefer to see at least some of the paperwork before they will book a date." = Do you mean as in proof of bookling venue etc or are you referring to paperwork?

This is the only thing I am finding uneasy re the 'date' thing. I need to get over not being able to confirm a date I suppose but it does make things a little tricky.

Hence, as someone else did the wedding at registry office and actually 'party' to follow.

How do others tend to do it? I'm wondering as if you can't set a date then it sounds like I'd be having a nervous breakdown and that's before the visa application!! :duh :rofl
:rofl Maybe I am just being typically British and fussing over the 'date' thing... You said "If you have your documents from the consulate done, you can then visit the registrar, and at least provisionally book the date whilst you get the blood tests sorted out."

Is it a case of just needing to relax, have a date in mind and think it may be on that day or hey, it may not be... :cheers :sun2

Ah, I just want to be there now...
Hi Ruth,

As you will have guessed from my signature, I am a wedding planner and as I mentioned in my previous post, we are able to book dates with the registrars that we work with in advance. So our couples do have a civil ceremony at the wedding and they don't have a nervous breakdown because of it :)
Please don't get me wrong, this is not because they want couples to hire wedding planners, its only becuase they trust us to be able to get all the required paperwork ready in time, and as we know the legislation well enough, we know what needs to be done, whereas when a couple is dealing with the registrar directly, there may be mistakes or further requirements that they have missed. When booking direct, the registrars would want to see at least some of your wedding documents ready so that they can ensure they are not wasting their time or booking the date when the required paperwork will clearly not be complete in time.
The way that it normally works is that when you visit the registrar you request a specific date and time for the wedding. If they are available, they will just confirm it for you. If not, they will give you an alternative date or time. Depending on where and when you are looking to get married, you may have no trouble getting your requested date and time or you may need to be a little flexible... It really is best if you get your fiance to speak to the registrar face to face to sort this out as he may just be able to get the date booked and you can relax :)
Hayal, good to see u r still providing a good service. Not been on here in ages but i must have been Hayal's worst nightmare arranging daughter's wedding. My son in law is Turkish and he and my dauughter kept changing numbers and everything else about their wedding but Hayal sorted everything.We met up at venue and ran through structure of wedding but on the day we just had to turn up. She had sorted absolutely everything ,even though i was in Uk and she was in Turkey. Everything was done by e mail and whole day was brilliant. Can't recommend her highly enough.
Hi Moira,

Thank you so much for your lovely post, it is nice to hear from you. I hope Kirsty and Mitat are both well. Let me know when they (or you?? :) ) are ready for a renewal of vows :) :)
Hi i was wondering could someone please tell me how i go bout and what i need to take with me to getting married in turkey in july to a turkish man :))) thanks .... Susan
You need to take your CONI, which you get from your local reagistry office, your full birth certificate and your passport. If you have a look at the first post at the top of this page I have listed out all the other things you have to do when you get there.

If you need to know anything else just ask.

Kedi
hi,
I have read all the posts and am still a little nervous at attempting to travel to Izmir to a find a place i neither know or will understand,i have trawled the internet and sent hundreds of emails about translators chauffeurs etc and got hardly any replies or replies to send extortionate amounts of money for services.HELP!! :que. we are both British citizens wanting to marry in marmaris early July.we will apply for no impediment cert this Friday at our local registry office.
it is just the two of us travelling and we want a very quiet wedding,advice/help/assistance for the legal requirements for the actual event.translator for the ceremony and possible car and photographer[if not wanting me to re-mortgage my home to obtain this gggrrrr]we do not want a reception as we will book a special restaurant for just the two of us in the evening,but as we do not want a package wedding organizers are not replying to my emails can someone please advise us!!!
thanks
xx
Hello,

I have just sent you an email with the requested information.
Hi i am flying to Turkey on the 23rd September with my family and me and my partner are getting married there. Weh ave booked it through Thomas cook. They are saying that we have to travel to a hospital and have blood test? does anyone know if this is true. I have to people who have gone through different people to Turkey to get married and they never had no blood tests . thanks

Merged with existing topic where most of your questions are covered. Dazbo HT Mod
As far as I know if both you and your partner are British then you don't need to have blood tests done. I had to have them as I married a Turkish man but it isn't neccessary if you are both British..
that depends on where you are getting married. for example in Fethiye / Oludeniz or Marmaris you will not be asked to take any blood tests but in Bodrum or Kalkan you will
Hi - I am new to this site and the first topic I have searched for is this one.

My partner (turkish) and I (english) intend marry in May 2012. I have emailed the Turkish Embassy direct to get some information.......2 months later I am still waiting a response......everytime I call I never seem to get an english speaking person who answers. What is a girl supposed to do :-)

I have seen conflicting information about the Certificate of Impediment......Embassy data still says I need this but the Home Office say you don't need this if you marry in Turkey!?!?! Which is correct? I also would like to know how long the certificate will be valid for?

I am travelling to Kusadasi (destination of wedding) in 16 days to organise a venue and find a nice hotel that will accommodate all the wedding party (both English and Turkish).

What I would mostly like to know is where I can register our intent to marry and how long before the actual date of the wedding must this take place. I am going to Ankara December/January and I would have liked to register our intention to marry while I was there BUT I intend to marry in Kusadasi so will I need to go to the Consulate in Izmir?

Anyone got any answers?

Much obliged
Tracey
Hiya Tracey,

Nice to see you here ;) (I'm the one going to Bizimtepe Hotel in September).

I think you'll find this forum an extremely friendly place - loads of really nice people on here and I'm sure they'll be able to answer your questions.

Justin x (or is it John? lol <-- private joke)
Hi John (LMAO)

Thank you so much for suggesting this forum :-)

Hope you and Lesley (shall I give Lesley a new name? LOL) have a blast.

Will want your views upon your return :-)

Take care
Tracey
xxx
Hi Tracey,

No probs with the forum suggestion, I just hope you find it as helpful and informative as I have, it's a great place and really nice friendly & helpful people.

I'm sure we'll have a great time, so looking forward to it and nice to know someone who's been to the same hotel :)
I'll definitely post my review upon our return.
I've just bought another 860 Lira today (very good rate of 2.836) so I'm really happy. I now have 1,800 Lira and will take £300 in Sterling too.

Hope you have a nice holiday in Kusadasi and hope you have a great wedding day in May 2012 :)
Come on people, help this girl out with her questions please ;) :tup
Justin xxx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.