Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Just a thought - Could we take fruit in hand luggage? We're not having inflight meals & we can't eat at the airport because of our diet so I was just thinking about getting a bag full of fruit is it aloud?

There is also something else I wanted to ask about but my minds gone blank :duh

CourtneeLouise xx
CourtneeLouise,

Fruit is fine, unless it's juiced! It's only liquids and gels that are restricted.

Darren
Apologies if this has already been asked.
My daughter is in Lanzarote at the minute. She's bought her friend a cigarette lighter and wants to know if it should go in her hand luggage. She is getting conflicting advice from the reps out there.
sheeshon,

She can carry one lighter and this must go in her hand luggage. It'll need to be presented at security in a clear plastic bag as it contains a liquid.

Darren
Government to unveil plans for airport security shake-up

Taking your belt and shoes off as you pass through airport security could become a thing of the past.

Government ministers will today unveil new plans to give airports greater flexibility in how they screen passengers and will encourage greater use of technology to lessen the long waits travellers experience in queues.

Currently airports have a ticklist of security measures that they must follow which means that a certain number of travellers must take off their shoes. It also demands that all computers are removed from carry-on luggage.

According to the Daily Telegraph, this may now be scrapped.

Transport secretary Philip Hammond will present the new plans today which will suggest airports spend money on cutting edge screening devices to slash waiting times.

Theresa Villiers, the aviation minister told the Telegraph: "What we are looking for is a better security outcome and we want this done in a more passenger-friendly way."

With permission from Travelmole
Bit of a silly question this is but just to be on the safe side, when you put your gels, liquids, pastes etc in to a bag it must be no more than 100ml per tube/bottle .. could I just have one bottle that adds up to 300ml instead of 3, 100ml.

P.S Bit confusing I know, Sorry :whoops
CourtneeLouise
No, even if you only have one bottle it can't weigh more than 100ml.

Judith
Hi CourtneeLouise ... any containers with a capacity larger than 100ml will not be allowed through the security search point. For example a 200ml bottle is not permitted, even if only half full. Subject to authentication and prior approval, essential medicines in containers larger than 100ml may be taken. You will find full details of the restrictions and maximum dimensions of the plastic bag, etc on page 1.

I heard a BAA official on TV news just last week commenting about the vast number of passengers who are still unaware or don't comply with current restrictions, 5 years after they were first introduced. Some only start bagging liquid containers when they reach the security area and join the queue, many more don't bother bagging at all until they have reached the front of the queue. The BAA spokesman asked passengers to have all their liquids bagged appropriately before travelling to the airport, as apparently each passenger who arrives at the security checkpoint not fully prepared causes a delay of at least 5 minutes to those following behind in the queue. Imagine the knock on effect, delays, frustration, complaints, etc that just a few unprepared passengers or families can cause !

Quite separate from the current restrictions on liquids, this is a useful document from the CAA about certain items which can or cannot be carried in hold luggage, hand luggage, or on your person:
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1219/srg_dgo_WhatCanICarry20100416.pdf

David :wave
going through manchester airport for the first time carrying enbrel pens in a Frio bag, just wondering what to expect, have got all letters but just a bit nervous so any tips appriciated
Has regard to 1 lighter in hand luggage.
Wife had a lighter in a clear plastic bag at Dalaman,
security took it out & threw it against the wall smashing it.
This was last september.
Hi.

I'm off to Israel in a few days time and wanted to make sure that I didn't put something in my luggage that would then be taken out at the airport or cause any hold up. I take peppermint oil tablets to ease my digestion and as I'm spending 3 weeks in the country, I don't want to be stuck without them really. They aren't medicine prescribed by a doctor officially, so I don't have any notes or anything, but I was recommended them by a doctor a couple of years ago.

Do you foresee any problem at the airport with these? Also, should I pack these in my hold luggage or keep them with me in hand luggage?

Thanks
Hold luggage can go astray so if the loss of them would have a serious effect on your comfort during your visit, then I'd take them in your hand luggage. If you keep them in their original sealed packaging then it should be clear that they are a herbal remedy/dietary supplement. Or alternatively, for peace of mind you would need to check first, but another option would be to purchase them at Boots airside after security if there is one at your departure airport. If they sell them then your know that they are definitely OK to take on the plane under UK rules.

However, which airline are you flying with? If it's El Al then their security policies are often much tighter than the national ones implemented by the airports for all travellers, so it might be worth checking directly with them what their rules are in that case. It would also be worth checking f the Israeli authorities have additional rules on what can or can't be taken into the country.

SM
I'm travelling with Easyjet. You think I should just pack the tablets in hold luggage then?
Since they aren't prescription drugs, I would do as suggested buy a new bottle, seal intact before your trip and pack them in you carry on. Maybe pack a bottle in your hold luggage as well. Belt and braces you could always buy them in Boots, airside.
offtoisrael wrote:
You think I should just pack the tablets in hold luggage then?

No. As SMa mentions, if your luggage goes missing, you'll be without them and may not be able to get it locally. If it's something you need, take it in hand luggage.

Darren
I'm travelling with Easyjet. You think I should just pack the tablets in hold luggage then?

If you are thinking about doing this because you want to avoid problems re possible Israeli regulations I wouldn't take a chance on that either. Believe me - you don't want to end up on the wrong side of Israeli security staff! As a number of us have suggested, pack new still sealed packs/bottles in your hand luggage and you will probably be OK.

SM
Sorry folks, I'm having a blonde moment here - seem to be having a lot recently :( can I carry hair straighteners in my hand luggage please? We're flying with Thomas Cook :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.