Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Thanks Dazbo, good to know that the electromagnetic fields used in the scanners won't damage my Kindle or any other electronic items.
Another one for those who are experts: I did something to my back in November (probably pulled a muscle or something), 4 weeks off work and it was ok, did the same thing back in February, 5 weeks off work. Now been referred for physio which I'm hoping will suggest exercises to strengthen my back. I've got this http://www.homedics.co.uk/uk/produkte/diagnostics/hot-cold-therapy/hot-and-cold-magnetic-back-wrap.html, it says on Gatwick airports website that magnetrons and instruments containing magnets aren't allowed in either hand or hold luggage. Does that include the back support? I use it without the gel pack as the magnetic wave does the job. I did take Geomag (similar to magnetix) over to my parents once and it wasn't a problem at Dublin or Stansted but I think rules have got stricter since November 2006. If the answer is obvious, I confess to not being very good at science, scraped a C at GCSE due to 65% being on the end of module tests which Dad helped me revise for (we were given the sheets with all relevant questions on them and had to learn what was on them, hard bit was remembering what was on the sheets during the tests). Anyone who did GCSE Science in 1993 with Northern exam board might remember the course.
it says on Gatwick airports website that magnetrons and instruments containing magnets aren't allowed in either hand or hold luggage.

I don't think that my ancient Physics A level makes me an expert but I remember enough to make me think that it sounds as if you can't take on things either in hand luggage or checkd baggage that will create a magnetic field powerful enough to disrupt the aircraft systems. But I would very surprised if your support belt contains a magnetron - a magnetron being the doodah that generates the microwaves that cook your food in a microwave oven. It would start to cook you too if it did because it works by jiggling the molecules up against each other (I hope you're impressed with my use of scientific jargon!) within the body of whatever is within the field so that they create heat. Hence why food in a microwave cooks from the inside out and won't brown without a radiant heat source.

If it does contain a magnetron it is only going to be capable of generating a very small ouput and it would warn you to not bring any ferrous metal close to it when it operation because that could damage it - but that's why I think it unlikely that it does. It would create sparking when anything ferrous came within the magnetic field as things do in your microwave when you inadvertently put something metallic in it. Like when my Dad put a mug with gilded decoration into mine - luckily he had the sense to switch it off before doing much damage but it was never quite the same again afterwards and I replaced it just to be sure. :( Though it was also a good excuse to get a multi-mode one so that I could brown things in it ;)

Also, assuming that your belt contains magnets rather than a magnetron, the magnetic field that they create is likely to be quite weak and localised. If you can wear it around your home without acquiring a collection of stray pins and your stainless steel cutlery around your waist then it's probably going to be OK. :D

Best advice is probably to contact the airline direct - you can't be the first person to raise this question and they sould be able to tell you exactly whether your support belt falls into the prohibited category.

SM
Liquids ban approach must be unified, warns EU

European airports must take a coordinated approach to lifting the ban on carrying liquids, the EU has warned.

From this Friday transfer passengers who are travelling on flights that originated outside the EU are to be permitted to carry duty-free perfume and alcohol onto connecting flights as the first phase in a strategy to relax the ban.

But transport secretary Philip Hammond has said this will not happen in the UK "for security reasons".

All European airports are scheduled to totally lift the liquids ban by April 2013.

EU transport commissioner Siim Kallas said air passengers would face disastrous consequences if Europe did not simultaneously implement the changes.

Kallas told The Guardian newspaper the transfer rule coming into force this week was of "marginal effect" but said it was crucial the April 2013 total lifting of the ban was observed by everyone.

"If some countries lift the ban and some do not then it will be disastrous," he said.

Should some airports adhere to the ruling and some continue banning liquids, the consequences could be long queues as confused travellers go from one airport that allows liquids to a plane heading for another airport that does not.

Kallas added: "Some airports are questioning the rationality of lifting the ban because life is easier to continue as it is. Politically that is unacceptable."

With permission from Travelmole
Going away a week on Sunday, BFS-GTW and then GTW-Bodrum on 16th May. Our twins are 17 months old now and I'm thinking that we might have to make sure their cups of juice are empty before we go through security and then buy flavoured water airside. I'm hoping that if their cups have juice/milk in them that they'll be allowed as long as hubby & I taste them. Neither Belfast's nor BAA's websites are clear on rules for young children.

Next one, both girls are very 'territorial' over their cups so when we put them in the tray to go through the scanner, there's going to be :cry and screams, might be able to distract S or she might just yell and H will just yell very loudly. Once we've tasted them, the cups will be given back to them asap. Any tips on how to make it as easy as possible for the girls and us. I'm concerned that the screams will mean we'll get disapproving looks from other travellers.
cate_taylor,

You can't take liquids in greater quatities than 100ml. Bottle with milk in them are generally ok on the basis parents taste them at security, but cups qith juice in them won't be permitted if they're over 100ml. You'll have to take them through empty then fill them once airside. If they scream when the cups go through security then so be it. There's not a lot you can do.

Darren
That's what I was expecting and fearing, I think that if parents are prepared to taste juice for children as young as ours, it should be allowed. We're likely to have at least one possibly 2 girls screaming until we can get to first shop in departures that sells juice without very high sugar content. Next job, check terminal maps so I know which direction to head in.
cate_taylor wrote:
That's what I was expecting and fearing, I think that if parents are prepared to taste juice for children as young as ours, it should be allowed.

It is allowed, my wife works in security and they will ask the age of the baby/toddler and if they are under 2 years old they are allowed a sipping beaker as long as the parents will remove the top and sample taste the liquid.
you say your flight is to GTW , do you mean Gatwick (LGW) ? that is where she works and is no longer under BAA ownership (not on BAA website) but they still conform to DfT requirements and they allow this.
You can go to Gatwicks website http://www.gatwickairport.com and there is a link there to "ask us a question" you can do this to double check what i am saying.

On your second point , the screams, tears etc , if they are too noisy or annoying they will just be put in the x-ray machine until they quieten down.... only joking !! not a DfT requirement, i would'nt worry about it , if you're trying your best you can't do no more than that.
andy: It's Gatwick I'm flying out of next Monday, :whoops . I had an idea that due to girls being toddlers that we could take their sippy cups through. Tasting isn't a problem, it'll only be their cups of juice, last year we had jars of baby food and both outward and return, hubby tasted the jars which weren't nice cold. Will check the link for Gatwick airport.
5 x 100ml double concentrated orange Juice, plus 1 empty 1 ltr plastic bottle

Will I be allowed to take this quantilty of liquids and an empty bottle through security
joeseptuk,

As you aren't taking any liquids over 100ml, then yes, this meets the requirements. Just make sure you have the 100ml bottles in a clear plastic bag for security.

Darren
It has been a while since I took a travel kettle abroad, can you only take it in your hand luggage?
Can electricals in general only be taken in hand luggage?

Thanks
I carry the kettle in my hand luggage, but I know one of my sisters carries her electrical goods in her hold luggage.
We put all electrical items in our hold luggage.
We carry all our electricals in our hand luggage :) , I would be too worried about the extra weight if it went in our cases, as we tend to find they dont normally weigh hand luggage , well we have never had ours weighed :think
Slender tone belt, would I have to put this into my suitcase, as it might not be allowed in my hand luggage
joeseptuk,

I would pack it in your suitcase but there's no reason why you couldn't take it in your hand luggage.

Darren
Dazbo HT Mod wrote:
joeseptuk,

I would pack it in your suitcase but there's no reason why you couldn't take it in your hand luggage.

Darren

i think I will play safe, put it in my suit case, I was asking because with out the pads it delivers an electrical out put, which I would assume the airport security would take it of me if I had it in my hand luggage
My son would like to know if it's ok to take batteries in hand luggage please? He's going away for a long weekend and isn't taking a suitcase but wants to take an ipod docking station which will include batteries.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.