Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
hi Roadie Girl, why not take a look at http://www.travelrepublic.co.uk
Type i a search and they will come up with a lot of accommodation which is not advertised in the brochures. You can book your flight with them too. Skiathos is not a huge island so a taxi from the airport to even the furthest point on the "tourist road" would not be expensive between four of you.
We are booking the Muses hotel in Koukanaries through this firm flying from Newcastle on 21st September and are paying £664 for 2 people for 2 weeks bed and breakfast.
I saw the same hotel in a brochure and was quoted an extra £120 for the same package. Quite a saving!
Hope this helps. 8)

John
I have just had a quick search on the site i mentioned and they showed 3 accommodations which could take 4 adults in one room. Based on a flight from Gatwick on Wed 13th June the prices started at £436 for the Angelina studios in Kolios for 2weeks bed and breakfast. They look very nice. Prices go up to over £700 for a complex in Troulos. Worth a look though!

John
Not wanting to hijack the thread at all, can anyone tell me how much a Taxi costs from a nearby resort like Achladies to The Skiathos town?

This place sounds like exactly what I'm looking for but there will only be 2 of us so dont want to be spending loads on taxi's.
If you like beaches, you will love Skiathos :cry: .
From Achladies it will be around €6 - €10 per passenger depending on who picks you up.
I would use the water taxi from the beach into town. Runs every other hour and is €2 each much nicer way into town and runs till 23.00hrs.
The taxi drivers - I love turning them down - only three or four are islanders, the rest seasonal athenians, prices change by the day !
Wow! That much per passenger?! Its only 5 kilometers!
We were paying anywhere between 6 and 9 euros for the taxi from Troulos to Skiathos town! We were there at the end of September though so we could barter a bit with the taxi drivers
The bus only costs around 1.5 euros into town and they are very frequent

john
So its more like 6 - 9 euro's per TAXI and not per passenger? I hope so because €16 for a 3 mile ride is massivly over proced.
That's the case, but on rare occassions greek taxis have been known to pick up extra passengers en- route and charge them the full fare too. it has never happened to me though and i don't think they try it with tourists.
You will usually see plenty taxis running back and forward along the coast road and they will usually pull up at the bus stop where you are standing and give you a price to get to Skiathos town. It's always worth a bit of a haggle with them and you can usually knock off a euro or two. If there are other people at the stop you can share with them too, but remember the price he gives you is for the car, not the passenger! 8)

John
Hi all! Thanks for all your help. We've managed to book at 2 bedroom apartment in Skiathos town. We're delighted and very much looking forward to it!!!!

Now, if anyone can recommend any taverna's........ :lol:
I went to Mykonos about 3 years ago and it was a unique experience. The Island is quite gay, half being populated with tourist's and the rest with old fisherman brandishing Rolex's as they have all rented out their houses to tourists. The Island can be travelled around in a few hours on something pretending to be a moped and the private beaches are worth a visit, i'm not really into sun worshiping or swimming and i did both of these things in Mykonos. The beach we went to gave you indivdual wooden beach chairs to lie on and wooden parasols, you lie within feet of crystal clear water that is warm and hardly moving at all and the beaches are virtually empty. It was paradise if i do say so myself. The Town doesnt come alive until dark, the luxury stores open all night, the clubs both gay and straight are lively and very friendly and their was no trouble the entire time we were there. Loads of celebrities go the Mykonos so you might spot a few over the top of your cocktails or see them parking their 'Humongous yachts' in the harbour, little Italy is a great place to sit and sip cocktails and watch the white chalk cliffs and the sun go down. Oh and the food is incredible, fresh fish pulled from the sea that morning and oven cooked pizza's to die for. Enjoy....
Probably far to late to be of use but here is an answer to the Taverns in Skiathos Question. Bakaliko is a great Taverna over from Skiathos Port. basic Greek Cooking which is nice and cheap and very filling, and plently of Meze which i could eat tables full of. I recommend sitting outside and looking over the port, they put on Greek music too. Enjoy hope this helps
Alexandros Taverna just up past the church is excellent, and a traditional one is found, if you're lucky, if you head up the road to the left of Papadiamantis Street from the harbour, past the English pubs, and you might spot a place there with old tables with holes cut into the tops. He will have goat, sheep rabbits chicken and pork hanging there cooking. Good old basic Greek food at a very cheap price.
Taverna Alexandros has been refurbished, take a look at the recent photos here
It still looks brilliant, and I've no doubt the food matches the setting. The table, top right in the second pic was our favourite spot, and the little table with 2 chairs, next to the red brick where the live music was played.

Happy days, or was it daze?

Parky
2 weeks on Friday.....!

Thank you for all of your suggestions :bow

RG
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.