Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
hi,
i would not have recommended any of those destinations, even the phrase ''club 18-30'' is stretching the truth round those parts, i don't think anyone over 21 would find what they where looking for with regards to night life etc on any of those resorts, especially us girlies, unless you like being chatted up by groups of teenage lads from your local sixth form college-seriously! i am 26 and like yourselves, have passed the stage of fishbowl cocktails and dancing on bars in a 9 inch mini skirt. however it is still nice to be able to let yourself enjoy a good drink, some quality time with your girlies and a few late nights! have you thought about skiathos town-millions of nice bars, a few clubs and some dashing gentlemen if you are lucky around the harbour of an evening. santorini has also become a firm fave within my circle of friends for much the same reasons, corfu town has some fab nightlife, designer shopping and great eateries, there are plenty of beach resorts near to the area.beautiful scenery, some quite cosmopolitan night life and again-some easy on the eye greek gods can usually be found around all of these places! you will probably find that the standards of accomadation in areas such as these will be more suitable for your requirments, i am assuming that the idea of the previously mentioned teeny-boppers bringing up 20 shots of vodka jelly outside your room does not appeal. i know that many people older than the 18-30 age group holiday in these types of resorts and love it, but there is no denying that the market they are primarily aimed at is ''young and lively'' it's fine if the whole emphasis on your holiday is nights out on the lash and days in bed recovering but i am assuming you are after some lovely food, interesting people and a cracking scenery aswell.
Thank you! That is just the kind of response we want! I'll have a look around for some accommodation - you're a star! :thanks
Stalis in Crete is also quite nice.
Hi,

Totally agree with Greek Kitty, Skiathos is a little bit more upmarket than the other places you mentioned. I would certainly avoid Laganas, unless you want loads of English bars, Macdonalds and kids throwing up everywhere.
Skiathos had a Macdonalds once, it has now closed down.

The night clubs in Skiathos are on a separate strip a few minutes walk away from the main harbour area. Otherwise there are plenty of bars and taverna's in the town itself.

You may find that it is slightly more expensive than other islands, but it is not overly so. You will easily get a decent main course meal for 7 or 8 euro and a large Mythos will be about 3 euro. As with most places, the smaller taverna's on the back streets will be cheaper and possibly provide better value.

Also, there is a very good bus service that runs from Skiathos town to the other end of the island (Koukanaries), therefore you don't really need to hire a car to see the island.
I have been amazed at the number of people that return to Skiathos year after year, and after going there for the last couple of years we can't wait to go again this year.

I'm sure you will enjoy it in Skiathos.

Dave
Thanks! I've had a look and am struggling a bit with accommodation in Skiathos town (most places only cope with 3 people!). Can anyone recommend a travel company?

Greek Kitty mentioned Santorini - any suggestions on a particular town.
Greekitty is right, your travel agent is clueless, Skiathos is fine, our daughter and friends aged 28/30 also loved Lassi/Argostoli in Kefalonia. I expect your travel agent will suggest Malia or Kavos next!!
:shock: DO NOT go to Kavos - I went there 22 years ago, it was a dive then and I can't imagine that it's improved! (Strangely Laganas was lovely back then!)

Corfu Town - yes

Rhodes Town - even the New Town shouldn't be TOO lively in June and there's some smashing restaurants around.

Gaios on Paxos - really pretty, nice restaurants, a few bars and a proper town

Chania in Crete - stay in one of the coastal areas for "place with pool" and get the regular bus into town and a taxi back out. Agia Marina has it's own nightlife scene in summer

Good luck - enjoy!
Skiathos a definite. Very cosmopolitan. Brilliant island. There are plenty of places to stay. If there are four of you, take two rooms. Much cheaper to book independently than with a travel agent and book flights with XL. You will just love the place.
Look at my reviews and photos from Skiathos and the forum on my website http://www.clearspray.co.uk
Have fun.
Another vote for Skiathos - I went last year and loved it. It was definitely a bit more cosmopolitan than other islands I have visited previously. There were plent of bars and a lovely part by the harbour where there were clubs and bars. However it wasn't rowdy - I think it'd be a great place for you.

Skiathos is not a big island and taxis are cheap so I would say it doesn't matter too much if you are not Skiathos town. We stayed in Ag. Paraskevi and most nights got the bus or taxi to Skiathos town and it was cool.
Thank you all for taking the time to respond. We have totally got the Skiathos bug now!
Well once you go to Skiathos you will be hooked for life. This summer will be my 4th visit. We often stay out of town - last time in Aselinos - but this year I have my daughter and her friend coming (aged 17 - their last holiday with us !!) so we are staying in town at the Bourtzi Hotel so they can get out and about at night without us. It is so safe in Skiathos Town and no yobs. The bars are lively but not 'in your face'. There is a small 'club strip' but it is away from the main area. The tavernas are brilliant and the atmosphere is buzzy but never busy packed like some other islands. June is a great time to go. But dont rely on buses, you will walk all night ! It is one long road along the whole south coast but unless you get on at either end of this road, if you stay at any resort along the way the buses are so full by the time they reach you that they drive straight past! You see people walking miles to Skiathos Town. If you want to get out and about at night, stay in Skiathos or walkable distance or hire a jeep or bike to get to the beaches. The island is so small and so pretty. The best island in Greece !!
Think carefully about renting a scooter, last time we were there, our neighbour, a pro. footballer, hit a stray dog that ran across the road. He badly injured his leg and was terrified because his contract forbade him to ride any kind of motorised bike. Your travel insurance may not cover it.
Another vote for Skiathos i'm afraid! I love this place. Have a look at some of the accommodation in the outlying areas. Troulos or Koukanaries for example. There is good accommodation to be found there and stunning beaches on your doorstep. For getting into town, the buses run every 30 minutes but as Diamond says they are nearly always full. Don't worry though as taxis will often stop on their way back to Skiathos town and since there are 4 of you, you will probably be able to get to the town by taxi for around 3 euros each...........less if you haggle! Enjoy! 8)
(Koukanaries is at the far end of the road so you will have no problem with buses if you stay there!)

John
Dear Roadie Girl,

Here's a few recommendations from the areas we have been to on Skiathos. Along with the others, Skiathos is perfect for what you want.

Panos/Kaita Apartments in Koukounaries (Manos Holidays) : Large and basic 2 bedroomed apartments, slightly off the main road in quiet surroundings. 2 twin bedded rooms, large kitchen dinner and patio.However within a 4 minute walk a couple of bars and plenty of Taverna's.
Disadvantage is no pool, but Sergio apartments are 2 minutes walk and are happy for you to use their pool

Sergio Apartments in Koukounaries (First Choice): have not stayed their but have used pool/poolside bar. I think they have 2 bed apartrments, the owners are fantastic and talking to the residents who stay there, is a great choice.
Disadvantage is no private large terrace.

Koukounaries also has other properties such as Alexis apartments(thompson I think)...again 2 bed

Prekas Apartments in Aghia Pareskevi ( tour operator?) : 2 bed apartments , small pool and very good owners
Disadvantage is that the local area has dramatically grown over the last 10 years, but is still in relation to other Islands is still traditional.

Skiathos Town is where the largest choice of Clubs, Bars and Taverna's are. The rock and Roll bar you will definetely enjoy. There is no beach to talk of. We prefer to stay in Koukounaries/Aghia and travel on the bus (1.4 Euro single) into the Town at night.
Another vote for Skiathos !

Simply one of the best islands where you can chill out on the harbour front watching a millionaire sip drinks whilst someone maneoveres his yacht or head off to a club. Try the greek bar between Papadamatis street and bar street or the Blue shadow bar in bar street itself it has great music and looks like a santorini cave.

Great sandy beaches, aquamarine blue sea and lush green hills.
Once the island bug bites you will come back again.
Naughty : wheres the Blue Shadow Bar ? Sounds interesting, not heard of that one. When you say bar street do you mean 'club row' ?
i definately vote for skiathos, i lived there last summer working for Thomas Cook. When i was told i would be working there i was a little worried as i'd never even heard of it before. But the island is amazing! the best beaches i've ever seen, the best food, the nicest locals.
There is something for everyone there!

The night life is pretty good too there are many trendy bars that i loved going in, nothing like the whole "18-30" thing.

I love skiathos so much, i'm going to go back every year from now on!
hi roadie girl, how is the booking going? have been thinking about tour ops who go to skiathos, santorini etc and was going to suggest kosmar but reading up on other's experiences might not be such a good idea, they may change your holiday to one at butlins due to admin errors! :wink: first choice and thomson both go to these islands and i have used both with no problems before, let us know how you get on :D
Diamond

Apologies actualy its the Blue Chip bar, its almost opposite the Kazbar in Polytechnou or Bar Street.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.