Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
MOSQUITOS CORFU
6 Posts
Hi,
I went to Corfu twice last year and only got bitten three times and that was at the airport.I used insect repellant aftersun from Avon

Cathy
start taking garlic capsules a month before you go and while you are there. I did this last year and did not get bit one. The mozzies dont like garlic :yuck
where have you holidayed before Julieg? Mosquitoes can be a problem in many places and every year there are lots of posts on many of the forums, they are not exclusive to Corfu.
Some people are more attractive to mosquitoes than others, the weather at the time of your holiday can also be a factor in that there may be a large hatch of mosquitoes.
There are always lots of suggestions and though I am sure they are all well intentioned I have some doubts about some of them in that they don't seem very well researched. The fact that someone took a supplement and didn't get bitten as much as on previous holidays suggests to me that it may have been beneficial but then again perhaps there were not as many mosquitoes.
I don't generally get bitten but my wife must be the mosquitoes idea of a feast. I suggest you use one of the repellents such as Autan or Jungle Formula and ensure you re apply it during the evening when you are out. For your room use one of the plug in repellents that burn a small bottle of liquid rather than the ones that burn tablets. There are several brands, we have used Bayer and Boots and they do seem to work.
By all means try the garlic and vitamin B supplements but don't rely exclusively on these.
Avon do a inscet repellent sun lotion and a insect replent after sun. all probably help. But they also sell a product called skin so soft a lot of people swear by this me being one of them. Just spray a TINY ammount on your bare bits at night and rub in well. Also it really moisturises the skin. We have also used vanilla candles when on holiday. As these are suppose to stop mostiqutoes. But remember to blow them out before you go out. But if the inscets like you then you have no chance.
I used to always get badly bitten when visiting any of the Greek Islands mid-summer to the extent that I had blisters the size of marbles all over my legs. I have now started to use Jungle Formula Extra Strength and I can confirm it definitely works although there is apparently some controversy over the active ingredient in it (DEET I think its called) but I'm willing to take the chance rather than suffer the misery of mozzy bites. 8)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.