UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Will let you know what its like (if i make it out of the hotub all weekend!) am back on the 18th Dec. In the mean time go to http://www.tripadviser.com and type in Griffon Forest and there are loads of positive reviews and pictures to wet your appetite.

Sally
I've booked it now - going for a week in June! I'd already checked out Trip Advisor as I don't book anything without looking at the reviews on there first. We're staying in a Gardeners Lodge as my other half is an early riser so it means he'll be able to use the kitchen and living room without waking me up. I'm a light sleeper as well so I think not having the hot tub outside the bedroom window will be better.

Look forward to hear your reviews!
What can I say about Griffon Forest? Wow! comes to mind. The most relaxing weekend break I have ever had. The lodge was spotless, the jaccuzzi great and the hot tub was amazing! Cant give many reccommendations on restaurants or places to go im afraid as most of the weekend was spent in the hot tub! We did go to Whitby for the morning, the drive there is through the moors and very scenic, its a very traditional seaside town with narrow streets and its not over run with video arcades.
York city centre is worth a visit although it was packed solid with shoppers but thats proberly because its so close to xmas. We had lunch at The Masons Arms in York (any cab driver knows it) huge portions and a lovely atmosphere. You just go in and wait for a table to become free but its worth the wait. We didnt drive into York because parking is supposed to be bad, a cab from Griffon Forest and back was about £30. Little tip, limescale had built up in the jets of the Jaccuzzi (inside the lodge) so fill it up, turn on the jets for a min then empty it, you wont end up with a bathfull of limescale like we did! Enjoy yourselves.
Thanks for the tips and advice salhal, cant wait to go, 3 weeks and counting!!!

Cheers

John
Masons Arms does a great Sunday lunch! We booked into their rooms for a weekend away and stayed for the HUGE lunch, only one of us managed to clear the plate!!

Incidentally anyone thinking of staying at The Masons i highly recommend it. It's one of the few places in York that allow one night bookings on a weekend and the rooms are lovely. No breakfast included but Wetherspoons across the road do breakfast for £1.95!
hi dont know what your ages are but we stayed at pecforton castle in cheshire booked with late rooms.com if you book in the the week it is 60£ per night dinner is extra about 15£ per person but truly worth it . if you want a memerable place this is it look it up on the web site l can guarantee the place where you proposed will never be forgot take a look at the romantic breathtaking peckforton castle
Hi Salhal

Great to hear you had a lovely time. Still got to wait nearly 6 months before our visit - very much looking forward to it. Hope your stay is just as good, John.
Hi John, just want to wish you luck for this weekend. Hope its perfect for you.

Sally
Thanks guys, yeah nearly there now and cant wait! A few frosty mornings would be nice but it looks like being wet and windy. Will let you know how we get on :D

John
Just got back from Griffon Forest and cant reccommend it enough for the most relaxing break. We had plans to eat out and go for walks but the only time we left the lodge was to stock up on food and drink!. The outdoor hot tub was great, sipping Champagne under the stars - amazing. The lodges have everything you need and are tastefully decorated/furnished. Just booked again for a week in November, we usually go to Centre Parcs around this time but Griffon Forest comes out tops for a relaxation. PS She did say YES!

Cheers

John :wink:
So pleased for you, glad everything went OK, all the best to you both for the future.

Patka
So glad she said yes! Also glad you enjoyed Griffon Forest I would definatly go back but with a 15 and 17 year old with expensive tastes its not that easy! Just out of curiosity where did you popp the question in the end?

Sally
Hi Sally, it could only be one place for me and that was in the hot tub! Saturday night, Champagne under the stars, hot tub steaming away, was very romantic and also a suprise to my partner, had a great weekend thanks

John
Congratulations!! Glad to see romance isn't dead - for some :!: :wink:
Hello

Looking to take my lady away for the last weekend in Feb. I live in Chertsey in Surrey. Can anyone recommend any romantic places within about a hour and a half drive from where I live. Ideally would like a hot tub, but will see what is out there.

Thanks
Hi,

Tilford woods is booked for the weekend which I want. Can anyone suggest any other places down south which have a hot tub?

Thanks
This might help. http://www.gladwinsfarm.co.uk/
Have never been here my self but am hoping to go. The one bedroom is the one with private hot tub.

Good luck.

Sally
I want to book a romantic long weekend for hubbie and I in mid-June (Father's Day weekend) and everywhere I've tried so far is fully booked.

Here's what I'm after:

- Somewhere within a 5 hour drive of Derby
- Preferably by the sea, with sea views
- Romantic, small hotel or B&B, with a lovely restaurant or one that's within walking distance
- It must have parking
- A swimming pool and spa would be a bonus but not a show stopper
- Lots to do and see nearby
- No more than £110 per room per night
- It must be in the UK, so no flying!

We've looked at B&Bs and hotels in North Wales, West Wales and Cornwall but we just can't find anything we like that isn't already booked!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, U2fan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.