UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
If you are flexible on the criteria I would recommend the Corsewall Lighthouse Hotel near Stranraer. http://www.lighthousehotel.co.uk. We have been three times and never come away disappointed.

Somewhere within a 5 hour drive of Derby

may take a bit longer, but the scenery is great.

Preferably by the sea, with sea views

It's a lighthouse, so no problems with it being by the sea !

- Romantic, small hotel or B&B, with a lovely restaurant or one that's within walking distance

Only a 11 rooms and has a restaurant onsite. They only offer DB&B, but the food is some of the best I've ever had.

- It must have parking

Check

- A swimming pool and spa would be a bonus but not a show stopper

No pool or spa

- Lots to do and see nearby

Depends what you mean, this is one of the quietest parts of Scotland with great countryside and pretty seaside towns, there are larger towns not far away - you can do Belfast in a day using the speed ferry service.

- No more than £110 per room per night

Cheapest room is £85 per person, but you have to stay two nights at weekends. It would be £340 for a couple for two nights, but remember your evening meal is included.

- It must be in the UK, so no flying!

Scotland is till part of the UK!
Thanks guys

The Lighthouse Hotel looks fab Daveyjp - I'll have a look into that one. I like the idea of going to Belfast for the day too!

U2fan
This one doesn't meet all your criteria but it is very beautiful and very romantic..... if you could put up with a wonderful lake view, rather than a sea view ?; The Lake Vyrnwy Hotel , near Welshpool , Mid Wales

http://www.lakevyrnwy.com/

There's plenty to do in the surrounding area.

PS If you look in the photo gallery, do click on the small photos, as they do enlarge into bigger views (this is not immediately apparent when you first see them).
For a great selecion of chic hotels in Wales see rarebits.co.uk
It's a great website for a getaway break
Thanks for your suggestions guys - Lake Vyrnwy Hotel has also been recommended by one of my friends, and I'm waiting to hear back from them to see if they have any availability.

Thanks also for the website link; I'm just about to have a nosey though it!

U2fan
Just a tip if you do stay at the Lake Vyrnwy Hotel ....
at the far end of the hotel (and attached to it) is a lounge/bar area called The Tavern......views of the lake are just as good from the lounge, the food just as nice,...... but a fraction of the cost of the hotel's a la carte restaurant :)
The Tavern is open to non residents, but getting there early at lunch should guarentee you a lake view spot (though I believe you can also reserve tables)...or if the weather permits, a table on the terrace outside.

Beautiful place - I had my wedding reception there...though sadly this proved to be the highlight of the marriage :lol:
Although I do have to say, jdybnsn, the food in the a la carte restaurant is absolutely marvellous! :) and I know u2fan is quite the foodie! :lol: We were lucky enough to book a special 2 day break which included a picnic and dinner for 2 nights..it was quite expensive! It didn't include the best room in the hotel but ours was quite adequete..I did hear that the Lake Vyrnwy Hotel was planning to extend to include a spa, have they done that yet?
Tinka14
Yes, there was building work at the Lake Vyrnwy Hotel (though the shell was largely complete) when we went to the Tavern part in March ...it did not seem to be impacting on the hotel directly at that stage, being situated at the very far end, beyond the Tavern bar.... though I stress we did visit on a Sunday. :roll:
Our trip to Griffon Forest is now imminent (9th June)! Can anyone recommend any reasonably priced pubs/restaurants in the vicinity? Any other tips or suggestions will be gratefully received.
Hi Corinne, wish I was going back this weekend! we had a nice thai meal at http://www.bayhorsethairestaurant.co.uk which is about 8 miles away, another place we tried was Jinnah indian restaurant just up from the lodges on the A64 as for pub food not sure but we had a drive round and there were lots of nice looking pubs serving food. There is a Morrisons in Malton about 10 miles away to stock up on a few drinks and nibbles for late evenings in the tub. One thing I did when we were there was buy a water mellon, de seed it and cut into inch sized cubes then put in the freezer for a couple of hours prior to a soak in the tub, refreshing and keeps you cool. Enjoy let us know how you get on!

john
There are a few pubs on the A166 to Bridlington - try Stamford Bridge. Nice village by the river with a decent chippy.

York is full of restaurants - I recommend Akbars. Alternatively on the A64 near Tadcaster is the Aagrah which does excellent Kashmiri/indian Food.
Hi, we went to a pub in York called The Masons Arms which did the best Sunday lunch I have ever had! Huge portions and cheap. It was packed and you just wait at the bar (drinking of course) and bag a table when one comes up. If you google Mason Arms York you will find website and directions. Alternitevley (scuse spelling) you could sit in the hot tub eating pringles and drinking beer which is what I did for most of the weekend!

Have fun

Sally
Hi any recommendations? We live in Liverpool and would like to go anywhere in a 2hr radius. Just returned from Hillthwaite house in Windermere and loved it, but would like your to book somewhere for our Anniversary that we have not been before.
Thanks Liz.
Can anyone help???

I am looking for a romantic hotel within about a 2 hour drive of the West Midlands. Preferably one with a hot tub in the room (tall order I know!) or a spa in the hotel.

I have been searching but not found anything that seems quite right.

Thanks.
Within 2 hours of west midland, jacuzzi in room, spa , fantastic views of the lake from the balcony,one of my favourite places to spend a sunday afternoon on the tavern balcony!

http://www.lakevyrnwy.com/
Am planning on suprising the wife for our 5th anniversary (wood) by taking her for a short break to a log cabin complete with hot tub. Ive found 3 locations but cant decide which one to plump for. Has anyone been to any of these and can suggest/recommend which one I should go for?

1) Griffon Forest
2) Faweather
3) Spring Wood

Cheers
Nig
Hello.....

Although have not been to Griffon Forest, I remember someone has posted on here about it. It gets brilliant reviews.

Another suggestion was http://www.tilfordwoods.co.uk - located in Surrey.
The Cobbett Lodges have an outdoor hot tub.

Good luck
Nigwafc, can really recommend Griffon Forest, went January this year after looking at a few places and it is superb. If you do book dont do it through Hoseseason, book directly with them and ask for one of the new lodges you wont be dissapointed. Taking the other half back this November and cant wait :)

Cheers
John
Hi Nig

I have just posted my review of Griffon Forest on this site:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/england/north-yorkshire/york/griffon-forest-holiday-lodges/

You'll see that I agree with John's high opinion of the place! Any questions - feel free to ask!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.