Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Things to avoid
8 Posts
Hi Keith
is there anything that we need to avoid..dodgy trips ect . Would we be better changing money here or there and finally is it best to use taxi's booked through your hotel for going to Naama of an evening.Sorry if I questions sound daft but never been before

No such thing as a daft question on here :tup

Money, if it makes you more comfortable by all means get a small amount (£50?) here in UK to start you off however you will get a better exchange rate in Egypt.
You can exchange money at the airport in the small bank booth's on the left when you enter the airport, you can also buy your tourist visa there if you intend to get one, you will only need it if leaving the Sinai Peninsula (ie going to Luxor or Cairo) for local excursions you don't need to buy one, more info on that in our dedicated topic http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/visa-please-post-here-queries-for-sharm-sinai-t189.html

You can also get money from the many ATM's or banks in Sharm, some hotels also have ATM's,

Taxi's, your hotel might have a taxi service or they can call one, however the cheapest way is to flag one of the many down in the street, always haggle the price down you are looking at only paying about 30 - 50 le in to the centre of Sharm, if you are not happy with price walk away and wait for the price to drop.
There are plenty of taxi's in Sharm so you will be able to get a reasonable price.

Another option if you are brave enough is to take one of the small local buses, they are very cheap at only 1le each and are used by the local and some tourists, just put out your hand and they will stop.

Excursions again we have a dedicated topic http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/excursions-from-sharm-sharks-bay-naama-bay-etc-etc-t10154.html
Your rep will have a list of excursions and the hotel will also have excursions available a bit cheaper than the rep, the cheapest option is from one of the outlets in Sharm.

Excursion wise there are plenty on offer ranging from quad biking, star gazing, diving through to long excursions to Jerusalem / Jordan and Cairo for the Pyramids or Luxor, a quick google search will show you what is available.

Anything else just ask
Graham
Why are some people so rude? A 'Thank you' would be nice!
Thinking about it - maybe the member just didn't expect or notice any answers! :-)
Not sure about that as they seem to have visited the site today and if I had put up a post I would have been looking out to see if it had been answered, so that I could acknowledge the time and effort the person who had replied had taken.

Doe :sun2
All sorted Keith missed the post (easily done) and was not being rude and has apologised most sincerely. :tup

One thing I forgot to mention is that at some of the hotel ATM's you can put in Sterling £ notes and exchange money easily that way.
Something we discovered was although Egypt was included on our European Travel Insurance ,Jordan requires Worldwide Insurance so anyone taking a trip there should confirm with their company as falling ill here could be very costly. :(
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.