Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
All inclusive
15 Posts
Not an expert, but when I have been researched Vilamoura most of the hotels seem to be either B&B or Half Board. At least with the later you know your evening meal is paid for every evening before you travel. We always find the evening meal is one of the most expensive items on our holidays if we go to an apartment or stay B&B.
Ive done same research Doe and the majority of hotels as you say are B&B, half board (or full board as an optional extra)
Hi jayjan :)

The Algarve doesn't seem to be very big on AI's, apart from the new First Choice Holiday Village and the Paraiso de Albuferia no others readily spring to mind.

I guess it's because of the huge variety and choice of quality restaurants and the large amount of private villas and self catering apartments for hire there, plus tending to attract people wanting a more independant style of holiday.

Doe :sun2
Totally agree doe, we used to stay regular in Vilamoura in winter for the golf (Hubby plays not me) & we always went B&B at the Ampalius, Vila Gale Marina or the Atlantis (which is now another name and cant think of it), as eating out at night time is a nice experience with lots of restaurants to choose from. We have owned our own place for nearly 6 yrs now just 1.5kms east of Albufeira and never eat in at all, unless family (the grown up kids) are with us and we tend to barbecue at lunchtimes and sometimes have the odd evening in doing the same, the oven & hob never get used.There are so many restaurants and each one is different in food and atmosphere, thats the enjoyable part of it.
Sorry Cazza cant help you unfortunately, maybe Albufeira as doe says at the Paraiso de Albufeira hotel, cant recommend it has I have never stayed there.
Hi Jayjan :wave:

I think Sagres stayed at the Paraiso a couple of Xmas's ago and thought it was OK.

The Holiday Village would maybe only be good for people like me who have families with school age children as it is probably a bit over run with kids and would get on the nerves of someone who wasn't in a similar family set up.
Friends stayed at The Paraiso on an AI basis last week. And although of course AI is the invention of the devil himself, designed soley to put small bars such as mine out of business ;) they said the grub on offer was perfectly acceptable. Sadly that also means "lively" is quite a possibilty, depending on when you go. You will also find the AI drinks are very restricted - for example last year there was no whisky available on AI, you had to pay something whatever brand you favoured, and after about 11PM you had to pay for all drinks.

They just don't do AI properly here. I suggest the Caribbean if you want somewhere to tick all your boxes. :tup
Not stayed AI the various times I have been to the Algarve only stayed in apartments. But been AI twice in Turkey.

Regarding drinks I would advise anyone going AI in Europe but who like 'quality spirits' to pick up one of those deals at the airport or on the plane where you get 2 litres for 16 quid and have a drink on your balcony before dinner. ;) AI drink can be a bit ropey.

Alternatively if you are near Perry at Floyd's Bar you could just visit him. :tup

I would like to go AI in the Caribean so all donations gratefully received. :rofl
Ive fancied returning to the Algarve for the last couple of years and have looked at the A/I options . Basically I think I found 3/4 . 2/3 of them fairly small hotels with not a lot going on , 1 of those I believe is now the First choice holiday village which could be a good option . The 3rd being the paraiso which seems to get acceptable enough reviews and is within walking distance of Alberfura (spelling :oops: ) strip in one direction and old town the other which is a bonus when you have teenagers or like a stroll of an evening . Its not on the beach which did put me off and for what I could get in turkey worked out fairly expensive for us but im determined to give it a go one year if I can find it at a good price.
LOL Lyn I thought you were coming on to offer to donate to my Caribean Holiday fund. :rofl

The Paraiso does look like a nice hotel from what you can gather from the brochures, I think it would probably be the best bet for AI. I dont think the Holiday Vilagge will be any good for the OP as they describe themselves as two oldies and the HV will be full of kids.

I'm sure there aren't any AI's in Vilamoura as I was looking to stay there at one point, there are two or three lovely looking hotels but all seem to be B&B with an optional upgrade to HB.
LOL Lyn I thought you were coming on to offer to donate to my Caribean Holiday fund

I,ll Start you off with a tenner chris . Hows that for a good start :rofl

I agree on the holiday village . Definately more geared up for the younger family but then again maybe worth a look if you are thinking of outside the school holiday times cazza. If it was me looking to book it wouldnt be the amount of children that would put me off more that th whole entertainment side is geared in that way :think .

how about something HB cazza if you could get it at a good price .
If you're considering the Paraiso during school holidays, be prepared for children roaming wild all over the hotel.Thomas Cooks run a large children's club for their guests at the hotel but, when there are no kid's club activities going on, they tend to roam the hotel in largely unsupervised herds.
when there are no kid's club activities going on, they tend to roam the hotel in largely unsupervised herds

:rofl :rofl
Watch it Geoff . thats my children your talking about there
Thanks for the help this far, will go and look at the paraiso.
Sagres wrote:
when there are no kid's club activities going on, they tend to roam the hotel in largely unsupervised herds.

:rofl That really tickled me. I think an adults only parties are probably best avoiding AI's during main UK school holiday periods, unless they like the wonderous atmosphere Geoff is describing. Sounds like going to Chessington for the day. :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.