Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Sadly not Snowey I am a very sad person :( :( , only 42 sleeps for me but I am going to Mallorca :lol: :oops: they even come on here to talk to Tis when they are going to Greece. oh sad is that.
davidnewman9

if you are relating to pargaluvva........ then if you have read this topic you will see that she is going to sa coma in october !!!

and reguarding tis what a knowledgable person she is !! and very helpful !!

sad i think you have the wrong person !!

lou x
Oh Dear!
This used to be such a friendly forum. Let's all chill out eh? Lol
Martin
Thanks Martin

I am quite at a loss here as to what is happening. David you seemed to take exception to Tis's countdowns, fair enough (we all have different ideas as to what constitutes humour) :? ! One jokey response would have been fair enough (but bear in mind you need to be extra careful when using sarcastic humour on the forums, it is difficult for the reader to see 'humour' with no body-language) but your comments seem excessive to me and beyond gentle ribbing.

Tippi
You are absolutely right it was purely sarcastic humour and perhaps I did go a little far for which I apologise. Tis has such enthusiasm for Cala Millor and I certainly do not wish her or anyone else on this forum any harm. In future I will keep my contrary views to myself.
Thanks for the quick reply David. It is just so difficult to read the humour sometimes - don't keep all your views to yourself - lots of smileys usually do the trick! :P :P :P :P

Tippi
8 sleeps left and i aint done no packin no preparing at all yet
Hi Guys & thanks for the warm welcome back :D

I am of course gutted to be back home as I would far rather be in Cala Millor or Cala Bona right now but alas, my numbers didn't come up so I'm not! Boo Hoo!

Right folks you wanted to know how my holiday went so here goes"¦"¦

As you know we left on 5 Aug with Excel (actually a Finnair Aircraft with Flyjet cabin crew) - we departed 20 mins late but actually arrived 15 mins earlier than expected (good tail wind I think). No problems at all with aircraft or crew - in-flight entertainment was 'Over the Hedge' and watching our altitude, speed and exactly where we were flying over - great fun!

On arrival at Palma we had the dreaded airbridge into the terminal and had to do the 'walk' to baggage reclaim - there were about 8 families ourselves included who were missing one suitcase and it took 1 hr 15 mins after flight had landed before they finally turned up by which time everyone else was long gone! Have to admit I was starting to panic.

No problems with our transfer either way - as you know we had originally booked with Clarkline and were let down at the 11th hour and booked hastily booked with Janerbus. They were at designated meeting point waiting for us and for the return journey arrived 10 mins before pick-up time so that we actually left on time once we'd loaded up. Both journey's we had a 15 seater mini bus and on return journey driver had thoughtfully brought 2 booster seats for the twins to use.

The new motorway is a vast improvement and cut down our transfer from the usual hour to approx 50 mins both ways and missing Manacor out is a bonus.

First port of call when we arrived was to go and see Eileen & Pedro at Supermarket C'an Pedro (next to Tom's Bar) to the side of the Hotel Temi on back road (Na Llambies) and then to the harbour as I was dying to see all the changes and what can I say but WOW!

It was a shock to see Seans Crazy Corner no longer (go to Eileen & Pedro's as they do cheap booze) - now sells Teddies in personalised jumpers but loved the pedestrianised bit - far safer when you have kids tho' you still have to watch out for those ruddy scooters, Go Karts and big bikes! Loved the new lighting, the posh non-rickety benches, the stainless steel railings, wood cladded walls surrounding the harbour and the wheelchair ramp to Bar Thalassa/Tourist Info. They've done fantastically well with it all and it's a vast improvement to how it was originally.

Eateries we used this year - CHEERS (of course), Beachboys where I met Tippi's bro and daughter, Smugglers, London Inn and kids ate 2 lunches in Burger King. The Caledonian Carvery HAS changed hands and is now part carvery & part Tapas Bar - not sure how that will work out but just didn't fancy it so gave it a miss. We were going to have lunch at Smithy's but service whilst ordering drinks was absolutely diabolical (surly slow waitress) so finished our drinks and went to pay and nearly fainted when charged €10 for 3 cans of soft drinks and 2 small cartons of Ribena! Absolute rip off!!!!

Following Martin's recommendation we were thinking about trying Weatherspoons (opposite CHEERS) however we changed our mind after seeing what I can only describe as thuggish behaviour of the bar owner who, whilst Kev at CHEERS was telling a joke to a packed out bar, came 'charging' over complaining that his customers could hear him - as they are opposite each other it's not that surprising but his outburst was totally unnecessary and rather unpleasant! Don't know who this bloke thinks he is but with an attitude like that he doesn't deserve custom and it's little wonder he doesn't get as much business as CHEERS!!!!!

Weather-wise - well as you know we didn't have the best of the weather whilst out there -fair to say that we had the worst weather we've ever had out there (several rain showers, a couple of downpours, a few thunder storms and general cloud cover! Apparently the weather changed the Thursday before we landed the Saturday and up to that point they'd had a mega heatwave with temps soaring to a whopping 112 degrees several days!

Glad I missed that to be honest and apart from the rain it was just pleasant - still warm but not overly so and night times we could sleep in relative comfort and thankfully as you can still tan thru' cloud I've got a nice tan - not mega brown but I certainly look like I've been away!

We didn't do much - mainly pool and beach - think we'll do beach more next year as we could relax more as it was so safe for the kids (no jellyfish detected anywhere). We had a trip on the Aquarama Cat from Cala Bona to Sa Coma (delighted they now have a proper wooden walkway rather than just rocks as it was before). We walked along into S'ilot - never knew it was so close to Sa Coma to be honest - I thought it was further along the coast. We ate out at the Britannia Bar and then caught the Badia Train back to Cala Millor - think the driver felt sorry for us - he said "You have big family, no"? and I said "Oh yes" and he only charged us €4 (1 adult & 1 child instead of 2 adult & 3 child tickets)! Bless him!

We used Pireo (opposite what was Crazy Corner) for all our money changing and got €1.44 to the £ which was better than UK - think we got €1.41 at M&S.

Improvements I'd like to see out there are the rocky areas between Cala Bona & Cala Millor being kept free from rubbish - in parts it was covered with plastic bottles, cans etc. They could employ someone to go along it once a week to clear up and it would make a huge difference. I'd like to see the dog mess issue addressed too - altho' not as bad as last year we never saw a single dog owner scoop their pooches poop! Playing 'Dodge the Turd' is not my favourite pastime - didn't step in any as we were very vigilant but it was apparent others were not so lucky! Not nice!

We came back Saturday (19th) - once checked in we went upstairs and it's all changed - not sure if it was a direct result of the security scares but once checked-in now you go upstairs and have to go thru' security (at far right of terminal) before you have access to cafes, shops & Aldeasa Duty Free. No bottled water/drinks allowed other than that no restrictions - have to say when it all kicked off I was worried about getting camcorder, camera and Gameboys back home but we managed fine in the event tho' my heart went out to anyone caught up in the midst of it all!

Coming home we were delayed just over an hour but landed just 15/20 mins late into Newcastle and we were home by 10.15pm with the first load of clothes in the washing machine - poor thing doesn't know what's hit it.

Think that's it guys - if you've got to the end of that little lot without falling asleep all credit to you :D

If there's anything you think I may have forgotten or anything you want to know just give me a shout!

Off to stick more stuff in the washing machine - catch up later!

Tis

PS - Have a a great holiday Stumpy and get packing!!!!!!
Hi Tis

Dont forget to post a review on the hotel database

Biff
Hi Tis
It is sad to hear of your Cheers/Weatherspoons experience. I suppose everyone must speak as they find and I have no axe to grind with either bar. I know there is a lot of politics between the two which has been rumbling on for well over 12 months and from what I can gather it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Although that in no way excuses Alan's behaviour. I feel that anyone visiting the resort should make their own mind up. On a more cheerful note :D - how was Stefan at Cheers?
Did you find out which bank got done over in Cala Bona?
Keep smiling, and ignore the moaners who don't like the countdowns!
Martin
Hiya TIs, pleased you had a good time. I knew you would like the harbour its fab. Can I ask did you get a meal on the way out? if you did what was it? sorry about the duff info when we went on fly jet in May no airbridge , but if looks as if its a different plane altogether. Did you say you wern't allowed any drinks at the airport ,so would have to supp up before betting boarding card ? All my lists have been rewritten and a new carry on bag because of size limits. Happy Days !!!!
Biff - our apartments are privately owned (only 8 apts) and belong to a local restaurant owner who gets by on repeat bookings so can't leave a review of our accomodation unfortunately.

CBG - Apparently the Flyjet fleet went back to Gatwick and for this flight they've got a Finnair aircraft with Finnish pilots but crew are Flyjet. If you're sat at the back you might get Nick (has long scar on left cheek) - he's fab!

We got a meal going out and coming back - not sure what it was going out but it had chicken, courgettes, mushroom and rice and a lemon syrup pudding for afters and coming back it was chicken, peas, carrots, mashed potato and gravy and a chocolate pudding for afters. We didn't pay for the meal with Excel (thankfully).

You might not get the airbridge when you go - when we came back on Saturday we had Gate C45R so it was a bus jobby which means when the plane landed it would have been a bus jobby too. Just keep your fingers crossed.

At the airport you can drink up until you go upstairs to security - you can drink whilst at check-in waiting for your boarding card but as soon as you go upstairs to security if you have any bottles on you then they are taken off you and binned. You can buy drinks once thru' security.

When are you off?

Martin - it was a shame about the Wetherspoons experience - he really didn't do himself any favours with his behaviour. I think everyone can make their own minds up and make their own judgements but just thought I'd share the experience more to explain why Weatherspoons didn't feature on our eating out list. I only saw Stefan on our last night as we were leaving (we tend to eat early with the kids) and he was busy so didn't get chance to chat to him but he looked okay!

Still none the wiser about the bank in Cala Bona but Banco March by the Bip seems to be the most likely - there was nothing at all in the following day's Bulletin when we bought it - not even a line!

I will indeed keep smiling :D and ignoring the moaners who don't like countdowns! :lol:
going to sa coma this saturday... can't wait but a little worried about the reviews bourganvilla apartments has received. can anyone tell me about sa coma, beach, nightlife etc. also the nearby towns , within 1 hour by bus and which ones the best... for beaches, pubs etc..... also going to waterpark in magaluf if anyone has any feedback on this. thinks its called aqualand. thanks for all your help. :D 8) :oops:
We were out there 31/7/06 - 13/8/06. Passed the Bank March near London Inn on the morning of the robbery and the place was buzzing with Police and the bank staff were all outside on the pavement. Roadblocks were just being lifted.

Tried the Donkey's Rest this year and I can recommend it as brilliant value. The Nautic still does good food and Dave & Doreen at the London Inn are spot on.

Ian
Thanks for the info on the bank job - it was where Tis suspected (inside info :lol: 8) )
I would endorse the opinion about Donkeys rest (try Snoddy's as well) and fully recommend Sonny's for breakfast. I am getting hungry at the thought!
I still don't think you can beat the harbour for atmosphere or restaurant quality - though you do pay a bit more for the privilege. Janet and Johns is probably the best value on there.
Hopefully we can get out next month sometime.
Martin
David. I have logged on cos we have 5 kids with us so I share their time on the comp. Yes it's sad but I like to keep in touch with Tis and everyone. Parga (even though it is Greece) is brilliant but I can't wait to get back to Sa Coma in October. Just go with the flow. We are all sharing our experiences. :D Tis We paid 50 euros for 2 rounds of drinx which conisted of 2 beers, 1 wine, 1 vodka n orange, 1 malibu and lemonade plus drinks for the kids. :shock: Times 2 of course. !!!!!
Have a lovely holiday with your kids wherever you choose to go.

I apologise for any offence I may have caused you.

Dave.
Hi Tis

Becky is coming back on Sunday. Is there anything I should tell her about hand luggage regulations. She hasn't got a mobile with her but she has got a digital camera - should that be packed in her hold luggage (it's not a really expensive model)?

As you can imagine, I can't wait for her to return to hear all her news but asking a teenager daughter for info is not so easy! :bhead She has had to budget carefully so I think she will be a bit of an expert on phone cards etc.

The boat trip is so much better with the wooden walkway. I went with just the kids because my mum and aunt remembered the problems they had clambering on to the rocks previously, but it was quite easy in the end.

Mia

Can't tell you much about the nightlife in Sa Coma. I have only been during the day but the beach there is lovely. Very safe for kids as it is fairly shallow for quite a way out. Sa Coma more or less runs into Cala Millor where again the beach is nice but not quite as safe as it can be prone to some quite big waves (not every day) and it is not quite as gently sloping. My teenage daughters preferred that but it just depends what you like.

Further up the coast is Pollensa which has retained a lot of it's Mallorquin charm as has Porto Cristo further down the coast from Sa Coma (where you find the Cuevas del Drach or Caves of Drach).

I have only been to the waterpark at Arenal which was very good (apparently the biggest), although there's the usual problem of queuing for the bigger slides (and in the height of summer, burning feet while you are queuing - why don't they provide more shade at these places??) :?

Enjoy your hols

Tippi
Hi Tis

nice to hear that you have settled back doing the washing and ironing ! :lol: i hate that job when you come back from a 2 week holiday :x

did you ever see the carousel down at the harbour ? and has cheers been sold yet ?

Hi Pargua

hope you enjoy the rest of of your holiday :D

lou x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.