Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Roadrunner,

Welcome to the forum. The 932/3 from BHX to TFS is operated on an A321-200. For more information on this aircraft you can visit Dazbo's What Aircraft Guide
Just wondering if anyone else can comment.

I have just returned from Rhodes flying Gatwick to Rhodes on a Monarch Airbus A300-600.

I flew out on one of the 2 seat options towards the rear of the plane (row 37) and returned on one of the 3 seat (window seat) options near the front (row 2).

On both occassions I found the seats a snug fit but at least in the rear seat my leg wasn't constantly pushed against the button to drop the seat back. I couldn't plug the earphones in on either the outbound or return journeys. On the out bound journey I had difficulty getting the tray down but just about managed. On the In bound journey I had an "in-arm" tray and I had no chance of using that (the lady sat next to me let me use her tray to put milk in my tea!!)

I know I aren't slim and sylph-like but I have never had these problems with other airlines (including EasyJet and RyanAir) so I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this?

Dave
Hey everyone,

I'm flying on Saturday from Manchester to Palma (ZB532) and was wondering if people think the plane will be full? I'm really scared of flying and get quite claustrophobic so the emptier the better for me!

Anyone have any experience of how full/empty it's likely to be?

Thanks!
sorry even if our experts know that information they are not allowed to publish it

Several members have been asking recently if our aviation experts could confirm not just whether a flight is available, but also the precise numbers of seats available for sale in certain classes.

Please note that even if our experts have access to such information, it may be regarded by the airlines concerned as commercially sensitive and so it should not posted in the forums as it could present us with problems. For that reason, it would be best to make any seat availability enquiries directly with the airline or a travel agent, rather than here on the forums.

Many thanks
David
hi, im going to tenerife in 3 weeks and was just wondeirng whether anyone has ever used monarch online check in there becuase the website says you can now use it - but when i was there a few months ago i didnt see any special 'online check in desks' like @ Luton, do you think the vantage club line would be used? as i dont want to go to the hassle of going to an internet cafe to use a pc without knowing whether or not ill be able to use the paper boarding passes! :duh

thanks in advance for any replies :)

nick
nickappel,

When you check-in online, you don't need to visit a check-in desk at the airport, hence no designated online desks. If you have luggage to check-in, there'll either be a baggage drop off desk or use a usual desk. The advantage of online check-in is if you don't have luggage, you can just go straight through to the departure lounge.

Darren
hi
can anyone tell me if they will be showing any films or tv programmes on the monarch manchester to dalaman flight mon3506 on 24th july out and 31st july back mon3507 if so do you know what they are likely to be
thanx
Donna
littlecamel,

IFE information for July can be found here.

Darren
Hi all,

Im new to forums so if I get anything wrong I apologise in advance.

I need some help though...I am booking a package deal to Kenya through Cosmos holidays. The airline they use is Monarch, however, I am slightly concerned about legroom.

My mother has terrible arthiritis and has had knee replacement surgery for both knees and so would require extra legroom. I understand this can be booked which is great but what I am worried about is whether there will actually be sufficient legroom. I have read that some people even after booking these seats still felt cramped, so I was wondering if anyone knew what row/seat numbers provide the most amount of room?? I have been told emergency exit seats have to be rules out due to lack of mobility.

Also how reliable are Monarch in terms of delivering what you pay for? Im really worried about something going wrong with the seating or flight times and my mum suffering.

Any help anyone can provide, I would be very grateful!

Thank You!
Butterfly_Boo, welcome to the forum.

Could you please supply details of what dates you intend to travel and from which airport you will be flying so we can give you an idea about the information you would like. This will determine which aircraft you will be flying on :)
Butterfly_Boo,

Welcome onboard :tup
Cosmos is the tour operator and part of the same group as Monarch. They use Airbus A330-200's on long haul routes. You'll find lots of aircraft information on our What Aircraft? guide (link below). There are two types of extra legroom seats on this type; those at the rear of the aircraft that give you similar seat pitch as the premium cabin, and exit rows that give you lots of room. It's personal perception as to weather the extra legroom seats at the rear are crampt or not. Personally, I wouldn't fly long haul with Monarch these days as their economy product, in my opinion, is inferior to other operators considering similar costs. But that's just my opinion. There are restrictions with regards to exit rows, ie the person must be fit and able to make a rapid exit from the aircraft in the event of evacuation. If this is ruled out because of existing medical conditions, then only the rows to the rear of the aircraft are available for extra room, also premium seating. The rows at the rear that provide extra legroom are; Row 37-43 seats A/B & J/K.

Darren
Hello Partyboy and Darren,

Thank you for your swift response!

The date I am looking to fly out is 13th September from Gatwick airport.

Darren - ideally I would love to upgrade to Premium cabin or fly with another airline who do not have such debate over legroom but unfortunately it is not an option. The reason being...Monarch and Thomson are the only two airlines to fly direct to Mombasa (all other airlines fly to Nairobi and involve a change of aircraft which my mum wouldnt be able to handle). I cannot fly with Thomson as the packages they offer do not include the hotel we want to stay at...so that only leaves booking through Cosmos, flying with Monarch.

Also just to make things a little more interesting, my mum is bigger than average build...do you or anyone else happen to know what the seat sizes are? We have flown with First Choice in the past and my mum has been able to endure that journey just about so if this aircraft is similar then hopefully she will be ok?!?

Thank You
Butterfly_Boo,

You don't have many options in that case. The flight numbers are MON3692/3. If you want more seat pitch, your only option is the extra legroom seats located towards the rear of the aircraft. Seat width is approximately 17.2", it's a standard seat size to most aircraft used by charter operators. The seats on Thomson Airways long haul 767's are a tiny bit wider and seat pitch in standard economy seats 3" greater. The extra legroom seats towards the rear are about an inch more than that. The flight time is approximately 10 hours (10.5 for us up here in Manchester depending on winds).

Darren

PS, Mombassa is a great place, I'm going back next year :cheers
Darren,

Yep, choices are limited. Thank you for the information though! Would you also happen to know whether you can specify to the airline which row/seat number you would like when booking the extra legroom seats and also can you specify having more than one seat alongside each other?

Mombasa is definitely an amazing place! I have been and keep going back several times, but the first time flying with Monarch hence the worry! Am glad I found this forum though!

:)
Butterfly_Boo, on these dates you will be traveling on the A330-200 as Darren has pointed out above. Unfortunately, the legroom with Monarch doesn't quite offer the same space as Thomson/First Choice. To give you a more visual idea of seat space, there are some pictures of Monarch's A330-200 Cabin here

If you do decide that a flight with Thomson will be suitable for your mother then you may want to consider booking your flight with Thomson and your hotel with either Monarch Hotels or Somewhere2stay which are also part of the Monarch Group. However, be aware that this is no longer classed as a "package" (protected by Atol regulations) if you choose to book these independently, but will be if you do this via your Travel Agent who can use their own license to package it together for you, plus your transfer.

Sorry, I don't want to confuse you so please ask if there's anything you're not sure about.
Butterfly_Boo,

You can't select your seat on Monarch charter so you wouldn't be able to choose your specific seat. However the rows mention above are the extra legroom seats (none exit rows) on that aircraft so it'll be one of those. The seats are in pairs so chances are, you'll be allocated them together.

Darren
Thanks partyboy...the pictures helped to visualise the seating! What you suggested about booking parts of the holiday independently would be ideal if the cost was the same. I did look in to flying out with Thomson and booking the hotel etc separately, however, the cost rockets compared to that of a package deal. Who would have thought holiday planning could give me so much grief, lol! Thanks for the suggestions though and the pictures...very helpful!

Darren - thanks again for your help too, much appreciated!

I have one more question though (I promise to stop question time after this one...just for this evening mind) if there was an additional passenger, can extra legroom seats be given to three passengers and have them sat together or would they be split?
Butterfly_Boo,

As the seats are in pair, it wouldn't be possible to have 3 together so one would have to be sat in front / behind.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.