Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Yes Easter was early so they laid flights on.

I would be careful though as I have quite a few people booked on the first 3 flights from Liverpool (including myself) 2nd, 9th and 16th may and they have cancelled the 3 flights due to lack of bookings.

What a load of rubbish that statement was from them when I called them last week as the flights have been fully booked for a long time now.

You could have cancelled with a refund or fly from Manchester but with people already having flights booked from Spain to pick up a flight to Dalaman from Liverpool there was no option but to accept the changes.

Never mind at least (at the moment) they will get to Icmeler

John
Sorry not had time to read all the posts but I flew out from Glasgow on 6 April '08 going to Tenerife (cost me an arm and a leg ..) but at the next desk was an Onur air flight going to Dalaman. Didn't think we could get to Turkey this early from Glasgow.

Wilson ;)
Hi, I'm new to the Turkey forum although been on the Goa forum for some time. I've been going to Turkey since 1998 (it took over from Greece!) and been to Olu Deniz, Hisoranu, Altinkum, Ortakent, Alanya and Turgetreis. I may go to Turunc this year. Turkey is still my favourite summer destination although I have noticed prices rising quite considerably since I first visited but still love the place, the climate and the people.
I'm off for my 1st proper holiday to Turkey this year ( have done 2 X 1 day visits from other places & liked what I saw) I love Greek food and am wondering how close the 2 cuisines are?
I've a few food question for the experts:
Is it possible to get iced coffees like the lovely frappees you get in Greece?
Is there a turkish equivalent to Feta cheese?
Is there a Turkish version of Retsina?
Is Turkish white wine ok?
What are the foods you would recommend in Turkey as I don't want to miss any specialities?
Thanks for any replies! ;)
I love Turkish food and find it even better than Greek. Feta cheese is much the same - beyaz peynir. Meze is fabulous (a whole host of hot and cold starters) many of them based on yogurt. To me a few of these with bread is enough for a meal. Stuffed corgette flowers are to die for. Sigara borek - cheese rolls are fab. Coban salatasi - shepherds salad is lovely. There are all kinds of fish to choose from, sword fish being one of my favourites especially when it has been caught that morning. As for meat they do lots of casseroles especially with lamb. Imam bayaldi is wonderful and is a stuffed aubergine. There are a variety of meat balls called kofte and the ladies legs version is nice. I haven't seen the iced coffee but I tend to stay in an out of the way place. Raki is a favourite with Turkish men and is like the aniseed drink in Greece. Turkish wine isn't much to write home about and quite pricey. I drink the rose plonk Evin but it is cheap plonk. Efes is the popular beer. Freshly squeezed orange juice - taze portokal suyu is nice. As for sweet things you have to try Lokum - Turkish delight but go for the ones we don't see much of in UK such as the nutty ones. Then of course there is baklava drenched in honey. They also do a very nice cold rice pudding. Have a lovely pig out there!!! I shall be nibbling away in two weeks yipeee.
JMK you are making my mouth water. :tongue

Three weeks before we are there again. :cheers
All sounds delicious.........even the rose plonk! Can't wait until start of July!
Thanks for the detailed info & have a great holiday :tup
JMB

Fab report on the food!!!

I love that cheese we always bring a tin home with us.

One of us always have boreks and calamari as a starter yum yum.

Adore the lamb in Turkey don't know why it tastes so delicious... must be the way the sheep graze naturally without pesticides it is my favourite meat!!!

19 more days :sun2 :sun2 :sun2
Yes lamb casseroles are yummy. I don't know where you are all staying but the best lamb casserole I have ever tasted anywhere is served at Ogun's Place on the Datca peninsula in a very out of the way cove. He puts apricots and herbs in and it bubbles away all day - ooh I'm salivating just thinking of it. Google Ogun's Place and you will find more info and his web site.
Not sure about the lack of pesticides though I'm afraid. Not everything is organic and Turks do seem overly fond of spraying plants, they also spray the streets to kill mossies. I had to beg my gardener not to spray my garden, he thought I was crazy and licked his fingers to show it was ok!!!! As far as I know he's still alive LOL. No doubt he does the spraying when I'm not there.
Hi everyone, just come across this forum and found it very interesting. We have been visiting Turkey since 1991 and have had holiday in Istanbul, Kusadasi,Chalis, Kallan, Fethiye, Ichmeler and a number of times in Side. During these visits we have travelled around on local buses and organises tours,but now it is solely relaxing on the beach during the day and at a restaurant and bar in the evening. We find that the Beach House Hotel in Side is ideal for us ( wrinkles). If anyone is intersted in visiting places whilst on holiday please give a thought to a two day trip to Cappadochia, Out of this world.
Enjoy you holidays in Turkey
I echo that. Cappadocia has to be seen to be believed.
hi all

I'm new to the forum, only joined tonight and have enjoyed browsing it and making a couple of newbie posts.

i'm kelly 23 married to chris 31 with two little girls, four and two and a half.

when i was younger i travelled all over with my parents but never went to turkey. up until last weekend i must admit it never really appealled, but we visited the travel agents and booked our holiday to turkey for October this year. i'm already very excited and can't wait till the 9th october. we're staying in aqua fantasy AI for a week, if anybody has information on the hotel or the area that would be great.

thanks

kelly
Hi,

Can anyone tell me now that the tunnel is open in turkey how long it will take to get from Sarigerme to Hisaranou
as last time we went the tunnel wasnt open so you had to go via the mountains (not good if you suffer with your heart).

Thanks
Sam
Hi all, im new to this forum too. were going august to marmaris for 2 weeks and can't wait.
weve been before and it has to be my most favourite place ever.
the people are lovely, the resort clean and freindly and its soooooo cheap (at the moment anyway until it joins the euro)
Heard the other day that easyjet are starting to do regular flights to dalaman airport. that would be so good if you already had accommodation sorted.
only thing m worried over is the high temperatures - it was red hot when we went in may 06 and have never been at high season before but im sure it wil be ok after a few days of acclimatisation.
looking forward to going back to dalyan and the mud baths and also pumukalae with its geothermal bath and breathtaking landscape.
those pitta type breads you get free as a starter everywhere are to die for with the garlic butter spread you could eat them by themselves all evening.
also looking forward to some really good shopping in the bazaars and bartering for a bargain or two.
the weekly outdoor market is so good too. last time we got 1kg of saffron for @£4 which is flipping cheap compared to the prices charged over here.
hope you all have a great holiday and look forward to chatting before we all go.
:cheers
hi i'm new to this forum too going to altinkum at the end of june for 2 weeks to the sunset village apartments never been to turkey before so need to know loads about it

suzie :)
Susie G, heya we got to the sunset village in altinkum in september, ive searched and searched and cant find 1 bad review about the apartments, its really nice in altinkum altho it was 9 years ago since we went it was hot we went in august and got up into the 100's, we stayed quite high up and had a constant breeze for 2 weeks which was abit annoying but we was all tanned well. we played a football game against the turks on the beach 1 night it was great, the jewellery shops there are genuine enought oo, i bought a chain for 50 quid and got it valued here bak home and it was worth double. i loved altinkum and shud have gone back sooner cant believe its taken us this long to rebook, the beaches are great and looked at some pics of the beaches on google images and they look fab, hope u have a great holiday i doubt u will find any faults with altinkum, ooo 1 last thing try find a restaurant called janibo's we used to eat there, an english lady owned it, they treat us like family and still recieve xmas cards from them, they even layed on free drinks all night the last night we was there. have a great time, matt and karen

NL32, hi we have been to marmaris soo many times we love it too, i rekon it will be touching 45-50 degrees but we are sun and beach lovers, we always stayed at ayhan aparts, the hotel behind the yates wine bar such a great little hotel which is family run, make ya feel like family there too. if you go to the beach try going to the part of the beach where carlos works hes so funny, failing that go to bit where the romance bar is, the waiter there is excellent, knows how to treat customers and you dont have to lift a finger just lay there he runs round ya all day long and doesnt ever expect a tip (he has long hair, quiet shy guy) you need to try the Taj mahal on the corner too, i know the owner personally hes from dewsbury west yorkshire, fantastic curries there. ye know what ya mean about the pittas you get as a starter we love the cheesy type yoghurt dip. hope ya all have a great time
I see you have locked my message about villa dantella. Yes, we have been to look at the villa whilst staying in Turunc last year, and have booked for September so have not yet stayed there, just wondering if anyone had.
Hi

Regarding flights, I just wanted to say that we are getting first flight from Aberdeen to Damalam this Sunday 25th. Great, that saves me from travelling to Glasgow or Manchester. First time there for us, apart from couple of day visits, but 32nd time to Turkey.......... :wave: :wave:
Hi can anyone tell me what currencies the atms pay out.Can I get English £10 notes from them? Thanks
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.