General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Holiday Shopping
31 Posts
Extra jar of Marmite but that's about it.
Hi Miss Pink - long time no see :wave: I'm somewhere in between really. I buy more than a few bits & bobs, but not a complete new wardrobe. Until a couple of years ago when I only had 15kgs luggage allowance I used to take 14 outfits for the nights on a fortnight's holiday, & most of those were new. Now I tend to take around 10, some of which will be faithful standbys - that only come out for hols, & the rest will be knew. There's always new undies, sandals, bag, jewellery & usually a bikini.
Well I emphasise that I do not normally buy EVERYTHIN - but the truth is I had nothing apart from underthings ;) - but I have had such fun in treating myself and there is much more in the shops that I thought there would be - just now need some flat pumps and done and dusted. Also bought son some t.shirts too - I spoil him.

rpbristol - MARMITE :que
Miss Pink, you deserve to spoil yourself, I'm so glad you are putting yourself first instead of the garden :-D Enjoy.
I usually only get a few bits and bobs, mainly tops from Primark and new underwear of course. :wave:
Hi
Tend to bring out the old faithful holiday clothes,dont seem to get the weather to wear them any other time, think we had about 3 weeks summer in Manchester last year :( I am going to look for some new clothes this year as we are going to a Thomson Gold hotel, only usuually go SC so have a wardrobe full of casual clothes, so City Centre here I come......... :tup
M
margaretcarroll wrote:
Hi
Tend to bring out the old faithful holiday clothes,dont seem to get the weather to wear them any other time, think we had about 3 weeks summer in Manchester last year :( I am going to look for some new clothes this year as we are going to a Thomson Gold hotel, only usuually go SC so have a wardrobe full of casual clothes, so City Centre here I come......... :tup
M

If you are anything like me Margaraet - it will be kid in sweetie shop situation, I loved it :tup
Actually we tend to take old stuff on holiday and then leave it behind rather than carry it back. Underwear, socks, trainers, T shirts that sort of stuff.
I've nerver heard that before Hi-de-Hi - leaving soap and shampoo or beach balls behind but not clothes :cheers
Isn't it funny how we like to buy new clothes for our holiday - we go to a place we have never been before and meet people who have never even seen our old clothes (that might even be better that the new ones) but that is not the point, is it?

A few years ago, we met a lady who left everything and I mean everything for the maids - every time she went on holiday she bought new. Another time, I met two young girls with the same thought but instead of giving them away, they were just going to dump everything - but I got in there first and came back with double the amount of clothes/perfumes etc.
Trouble is, I am in my 50's and they were 18 therefore I haven't worn the boob tubes/ra ra skirts/gert big platforms -
anyone interested? :rofl
Believe me Suzie if I had enough summer clothes I wouldn't buy new ones - but I really don't as I say have not been abroad for six years, so the summer type of clothes I had was few and few between
I am sure you will look 'the biz' Miss Pink and I am pleased I can join in with your excitement/countdown -
not long to go! x :cheers :sun2 :tup
SomersetSuzie wrote:
I am sure you will look 'the biz' Miss Pink and I am pleased I can join in with your excitement/countdown -
not long to go! x :cheers :sun2 :tup

60 days - not that I am counting of course :sun2 :cheers
It depends really. My last holiday was to Ireland and I got a new coat, some boots (which I needed) and a couple of other things for it. I like to have a few new clothes for holidays, not real reason other than why not?
I bet you can't wait :) Although the 60 days will seem forever to come around, I know for Ireland (last month) they did!
I always buy some new clothes for my holidays. I buy Garry some new things as well. It is part of our build up to the holiday.
Going to start looking this week for our holiday in May.

Mary
I always buy some new clothes for my holidays. I buy Garry some new things as well. It is part of our build up to the holiday.

Same here. I love shopping for holiday clothes which I do every year. My sis (Helen t) and I start buying bits and bobs weeks and weeks before we go away and usually have one major shop about 3/4 weeks before we go. We're already planning our trip to our nearest city centre before our next hol at Easter. I don't buy expensive stuff as I'd rather have lots of cheaper outfits than the one or two expensive ones.

I do have a stock of faithful items that only come out each holiday but I top them up with at least one new sarong/kaftan, bikini (sometimes more), underwear, a dress and a few tops. The holiday shopping is part of the holiday excitement. Oh, I almost forgot I also have to have an outfit for 'going on the plane' :D
I find the main problem is I buy all these nice clothes, get on holiday and think 'I'm not wearing that in the day incase I get suncream on it'
I think with all this depressing weather we've had lately it's good to go shopping for holiday stuff. it puts you in a better mood as you're thinking about your holiday and looking forward to it!
I usually buy a few new things each year for holiday, I just like to have something different but I still take some older things too. My husband hardly takes anything, he buys loads of new stuff while we are away and then gives his old clothes to his friends.

Kedi
it depends, Rob always buys a few new T shirts...I sometimes might buy a few new tops and some cargo shorts but generally we dont bother. Our most recent holidays have all been diving based so anything new we buy has always been needed for diving..eg: we had 2 new dive torches before this last holiday and an SMB for me. ( I wanted a reel that was not quite so bulky as this massive thing Rob has and as Blue O2 are insistant the EVERY diver has an SMB rather than one between each buddy pair)..I had to invest...
Well I have a whole "other" wardrobe which stays permanently at our house in Gumbet - even so, I'm forever taking new clothes out with me. The other half doesn't understand why I do this when I already have clothes out there - but he's a man and I'm sure it's a girl thing!!

JAK xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.