General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
you make me laugh! :lol: you can sit next to me on plane any time it will certainly pass the time :lol:
Doepsmc, once you get the hang of it it's quite easy to put any dvd you have to mp4 format! But you must read up on it first as getting it correct without knowing how is very hard! I got a memory stick for my daughter which now has many of her favorite films on it and she can watch them all in one place!
Flight I took last year had a superb inflight entertainment system..so watched a movie or two. also had wireless internet so surfed the net for a bit on my laptop.
I buy a couple of tabloid newspapers at the airport; read them - takes about 20 mins total :roll: , then I read the in-flight magazine if they have one - First Choice just seem to have the price list for all the junk they sell and no nice travel mag :? I try to save my Heat magazine for the pool/beach when I get there but if the in-flight movie is rubbish then Heat has to come out (going to pack it in my suitcase next time). One year I tried to start reading my holiday novel (Da Vinci Code), but with the constant announcements from the cabin crew it took me about half an hour just to get through the first couple of pages, so I gave up and saved it for the beach.
I always used to paint my nails to pass the time but I'm not sure we'll be allowed nail polish now with the ban on liquids. I usually have a couple of new albums on the mp3 player, so I listen to them too. Buying a couple of drinks/snacks, having the "meal" and debating whether to spend good money on some expensive Lancome lip glosses which I'd never normally even look at usually passes a bit of time too. This is all on a short-haul Canary Islands flight. Never been long haul, I think I'd probably be climbing the walls with boredom if I ever went to Florida or anywhere that far :lol:
Son puts his favourite movies on his PSP and both kids load up their iPods with more music than they'll listen to in the whole holiday. Son has video iPod, so this year he might put his films on that instead.
hadnt thought about a psp but we usually go on short haul flight so in my personal opinion its not worth it we usually there before we know it so i usually gaze out of window or am chatting to my family out of excitment! this year we got our daughter coming with us its her first time abroad so i will probaley be spending my time keeping her happy!! maybe i would get one for long haul tho :D
read the paper, listen to the Ipod, watch the entertainment if it is interesting and play cards with my son....
I usually have a book to read, or I might have bought a mag from the airport. I only bother with the film/TV if it's longhaul (last few trips I've made the entertainment was broke full stop and we all got given a drink, last time the entertainment was okay but the screen nearest me was broke so no luck there either.......).

I too like an aisle seat for easy getaway. Shame that also means I end up with 3x empty trays full of crap waiting for the staff to come and pick it up after the meal. That and having various peep's arses in my face while they try to let someone else/trolley through on route to the toilet. :D
i normally try to listen to the in-flight radio stations, with the supplied headphones

altho i happened to be on a 8hour 30min flight with a crackling headphone socket so that was fun.

other than that read a book / magazine / in flight bumf

this year im buying a ipod
Will my grandson be allowed to use his portable dvd player on the plane ,. not sure of restrictions concerning battery operated players in flight thanks in advance ....Paddy
Yes usually - just must have them switched off for take off and landing (whilst the seatbelt signs are illuminated).
I usually end up doing activity pads etc with my daugther, when she's sleeping I try to read my magazines or a book, or watch I film. This year I got an ipod for my birthday so I'll be taking that aswell.

We are off to Thailand next week and it's a night flight so hopefully I will sleep most of the way but I doubt it.
I'm lucky as I can sleep quite easily on a plane. Coming back from Hong Kong some years ago I didn't wake up until we were over Germany. I also used to knit, but obviously can't do that now as knitting needles are classed as potential offensive weapons. :roll:
I do the opposite I try to keep awake and mobile on the long haul flights...its actually pretty tricky but I get up for a wander every hour or so, read a book use my laptop or watch a movie on the IFE. Annoys the other half but I keep my reading light on when the cabin lights are dimmed.
On my last FC long haul flight in Dec last I paid £5 to upgrade the film package because it allows you to watch what you want when you want, you can also rewind and pause a film at will. With my Mum and the woman next to me nattering twenty to the dozen it was the best money I spent all holiday. :lol:
Ha, ha silverP, totally agree with you! Paying the extra on the First Choice flights means you can decide what to watch and when. And if you dont like your chosen film you can always stop it and choose something else. Or try to have a nap. Or buy some Duty Free. Or get someone to bring you another drink! However, on one fligh mine was one of a few screens wouldnt work and that was sooooo frustrating - I think it does make a big difference.
Most of our flights are 8 hours + so plenty of time to fill!

I take a book that I have started reading the week before I fly so I am into it as I find it a bit distracting to read on a plane. I usually read sci-fi stuff but take easier reading for the plane!

Last year my OH bought me an MP3/MP4 player and that was brilliant. I had a sleeping tablet, got comfortable (well, as much as you can) and drifted off listening to my music. I don't really sleep but am really chilled and relaxed which helps for a few hours.

I will watch the films but only if they look interesting.

I also take a travel guide book with me and re-read it on the plane.

I'm not too bad going out, it's the coming back that I find hard. My holiday is over, I know it's going to be cold and probably raining in the UK, I've got a 3 hour drive back home and then back to work the next day. Sigh...
Hi all
I get bored just on a two and half hour flight!! After three hours, I have had enough, and after four and a half hours (the longest I have been on) I am pulling my hair out. :hyper Don't know how I'd cope on one longer than that. I think I would get my husband to hit me on the head, so I could be out of it, for a while!!! :bhead

We are going to Ibiza in June!! :rofl

Dawnie-Rob
I take my Archos 500 with me so that I can watch a film or listen to music or watch a few TV programmes I've recorded on it. Although I often fly with no-frills airlines, it's difficult to really enjoy the flight experience with their normally cramped seating and minimal leg room so anything that takes my mind off it and makes the time pass quickly is ok by me.
After getting settled in I read or listen to my ipod and may watch a movie if it's one I've not seen and my hubby plays on his DS.
Long haul - I try to sleep as much as I can.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.