Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
great :cry

Thanks for all your replies, it looks like i'll have to be forking out more money!!
We flew with Thomas Cook as well this year (21st June) and they had already pre-allocated our seats. We had arrived really early as well for check-in so that we could sit together (as we have always done in the past) but it didnt make any difference. We hadnt paid to sit together as we have never needed to do this in the past. Unfortunately, they split us up. There were three of us, me, hubby and 5 year old daughter. Hubby was sat in aisle seat with daughter sat in aisle seat behind him and me in the aisle seat next to her. I was disgusted that they separated a 5 year old even if it was only by an aisle. When we came home we asked to be sat together (or even just two of us) but they refused. The best bit was, there were three empty seats on the way home (one was in the row I was seated in) and to sit us together would not have been a problem in my opinion.

I wont be bullied into paying for seats together though. I can cope with being split across aisles but just let them try to spread us across the aeroplane.

Sarah :)
I wont be bullied into paying for seats together

Its a shame that you were not seated together, but I guess that if most people chose to pay for their seats together the seats left have to 'shared out'. Have never flown with Thomas Cook, but I suppose it would be same with any airline.

I do think bullying is a little strong though, we can either take the chance and not sit together or pay a small amount and take that concern away.
Its not a small amount of money though - £32.00 for the three of us is quite a lot especially when you have already paid a lot for your holiday. It doesnt stop there though, they want an extra £45.00 so you take an extra 15kg of luggage plus around £30.00 so that you have an inflight meal. I do consider it bullying tactics by holiday companies and all its about is making as much money out of us as possible.

It should be a given that a 5 year old shouldnt be sat on his/her own (regardless of an aisle seat gap). My daughter wasnt exactly petrified but she was on her own and we had to hold hands across a gap during take off so that I could reassure her I wasnt going anywhere.

Like I said, I wont pay to sit together and line a TOs pockets.
We always pay for seats sitting together. In 2007 however for some reason this did not happen on our return journey from Gran Canaria and i ended up sitting away from the rest of my family. Hubby and the two girls were together. So I wrote to FC to cmomplain, got a full refund and 25.00 extra for the inconvenience. :tup
You made a very valid point there Sarah, there has only been two travelling, so the costs were not that huge. A little bit blinkered of me not to see that.

Can understand your point now. :cheers
I always pay for seats together i know its a rip off but we have 2 kids and would prefer for us all together usually hubbie and 2 kids with me across the aisle ! Non of us are nervous or anything but dont want to run the risk of starting my hols spread over the plane and i do know people its happend to although im quite certain they cant put under 16s seperate from adults. Across an Aisle is still classed as together.

Carter: ive tried a couple of times now when on seperate bookings to friends to get us all togther both before with the TO and once we arrive at the airport and have never been able to.
Sarah
I'm surprised too at the way Thomas Cook seated your family. I would have thought that they would have had an adult sat directly at te side of your daughter.

BUT...
I think one thing to bear in mind when paying to be sat together - the scenario described by Sarah:
Hubby was sat in aisle seat with daughter sat in aisle seat behind him and me in the aisle seat next to her

as far as airlines are concerned, being seated across from the aisle or even behind each other IS classed as being sat together.
So you could pay your extra dosh and not actually be sat in the next seat to each other.

Also Sarah, maybe the 3 empty seats on your return journey were 'no shows' and Thomas Cook didn't know they were going to be empty when they allocated your seats. I'm assuming you moved into the empty seats once the flight was in the air.
Prettypollycat wrote:
I'm assuming you moved into the empty seats once the flight was in the air.

Unfortunately, we didnt get the chance to. The three seats were spread over the plane with only one next to me. However, we were not the only ones who had been split and the the daughter of the lady sat next to me was sat at the back of the plane on her own. I would guess she was only around 12/13 but she also had mild Downs (sorry if ive not described this in the correct way, I mean no offence) so we made no quibble about her sitting with her daughter.

Like I said, its not the fact that we were spread across aisle seats, its the fact that they will put children on their own without a second thought.
Personally I don't think thomas cook are to blame for children being seperated, I think thats down to the parents to make sure they pay to have them next to them.

I don't have a child but if I did, I'd pay whatever it costs to have my child next to me...

however, I do think its wrong they are seperated from their parents.

David
duffnufc wrote:
Personally I don't think thomas cook are to blame for children being seperated, I think thats down to the parents to make sure they pay to have them next to them.

I don't have a child but if I did, I'd pay whatever it costs to have my child next to me...

however, I do think its wrong they are seperated from their parents.

David
Prettypollycat wrote:
as far as airlines are concerned, being seated across from the aisle or even behind each other IS classed as being sat together.
So you could pay your extra dosh and not actually be sat in the next seat to each other.

We (2 adults and 1 child) are flying with Thomas Cook shortly and would normally pay to sit together, although this time we haven't. After reading Prettypollycat's post it seems like it may be money well saved.
bertie3, I would pay for them if you are able to afford them just for peace of mind.

srhjnmgn, has had her child split over a isle and I would not like that either so if you're concerned I'd pay for them guaranteed.

David
duffnufc wrote:
srhjnmgn, has had her child split over a isle and I would not like that either so if you're concerned I'd pay for them guaranteed.

Even if you pay to be seated together though, it is not a guarantee that you will share the same row. Tour Op/Airlines class being separated by an aisle as being seated together and this is always written in the small print.

Sarah :)
Your correct srhjnmgn, they would have to use your seat, your choice to guarantee no over aisle seats.

Thomas Cook example :-

We have recently used this service for our next flight...we booked premium cabin and then used your seat your choice service which cost us an extra £12 each.

If you have not already booked seats together or premium cabin then the prices are as follows.

£24 per adult/£19 per child short haul (return)

£26 per adult/£19 per child mid haul (return)

£32 per adult/£19 per child long haul (return)

Hope this helps.

David
Surely the point is, that if you pay for seats together, you may be across the aisle from each other. if you don't pay the extra, you could be at opposite ends of the plane, which is much worse!
Surely the point is, that if you pay for seats together, you may be across the aisle from each other. if you don't pay the extra, you could be at opposite ends of the plane, which is much worse!

mehmeh1
As has previously been mentioned, you may not just be seated across the aisle from each other if you pay for 'seats together'. you may be seated one row behind.
After reading the posts in this thread, I think I will take the chance and see where we are seated at check-in.
I wouldn't object to paying £31.00 for two adults and a child to sit together, if that is what you actually got. Sitting in rows behind each other isn't exactly sitting together.
Paying £67.00 to guarantee the priveledge of getting three adjacent seats strikes me as being a bit of a rip-off.
I'll post on our return and let you know how our seating arrangements ended up.
bertie3, I'm sure you should be fine and should be seated next to each other, I personally don't think that is a rip off...its a option hence why thomas cook don't make it so you have to pay... £67 is not a lot of money for peace of mind.

David
I always pay (unless like easyjet who dont offer it) and have never ever ended up 1 behind, 1 across the aisle always but thats the only way to do it with 4 but never behind.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.