Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
dan123,

:offtop They're open from the early hours. If you're departing at 0930, I wouldn't bother getting there before 0530, it's quiet that time of day and you'll not have much to do until you board! It starts to get busy from about 0600 onwards. Even though it's now peak season, the number of flights is lower than an average summer holiday season. Runway 23L/05R has been closing between 1030 and 1630 (rather than 1200-1500) due to lower than normal traffic.

Darren
Never paid for sitting together, and always got seats next to each other, sometimes we ask for middle and aisle if its a 3-3 flight rather than a window so we can get out easily , but usually the missus likes to lean against the window so she can sleep , which is a benefit really as i then don't have to put up with her complaining and whingeing all thru the flight.
sometimes both having aisle seats is quite good , perhaps better than being stuck in the middle as i was on a recent flight to Egypt by a rather large person who not only had the aisle seat but half of mine as well. at least the egyptian taxi ride afterwards felt like a luxurious limo in comparison.
sometimes both having aisle seats is quite good , perhaps better than being stuck in the middle as i was on a recent flight to Egypt by a rather large person who not only had the aisle seat but half of mine as well.

Planes often have blocks of two seats at the back of the plane, so you can have a window seat for your partner and aisle for you...this sounds like a better option than a half of seat ha-ha.

Not sure which planes have them but when we're not in premium cabin we like to book those seats as only two of us travel most of the time.

David
I am one of those which believe money is easy made

Lucky you David :( I'm one of those that has to work damn hard for my money, therefore it's against my principles to pay extra just to pick my seats. Up until now, we've always been first or very close to the front when check-in opens and have never had problems getting seats together - this even includes sitting next to sis and hubby who are on separate bookings :)

Hopefully we'll be ok when we request seats together at check-in in 2 weeks time. This involves 3 couples who have booked on 3 separate bookings. Will let you all know what happens :think
Lucky you David :(

:offtop Not that lucky! I still have to work hard for my money even If I do think it is easy made...
Planes often have blocks of two seats at the back of the plane, so you can have a window seat for your partner and aisle for you...this sounds like a better option than a half of seat ha-ha.

Not sure which planes have them but when we're not in premium cabin we like to book those seats as only two of us travel most of the time.

Dave
I'm not sure about other airlines but certainly on Monarch long-haul (Airbus 330 - I think), these are classed as extra legroom seats so you have to pay extra for them.
Yeah they are extra leg room, I used them on a monach flight last year.
:offtop There's more information on the dedicated Monarch thread relating to their seating configuration. The pairs towards the rear of their A332's have greater seat pitch (a row of seats removed) than the regular seats and are therefore offered as extra legroom seating at a premium. This is only applicable to rows 37-43 seats A/B & J/K, the centre seats are as normal. This is unique to Monarch.

Darren
Does anyone know if this is a way of the airline getting extra money out of you, i have always booked prebookable seats and have found when traveling with people we have met they have not paid the preium and have ending up all together, my party is 2ad and 2ch, are we likely to be split.
There is a recent topic in the Flights forum entitled Sitting Together that discusses this.

luci :wave
merged to flights forum

wizard
:think we have always been lucky have never paid for seats together,just arrive at check in early and always got seats we want we normally opt for 2 with 2 behind that way know my husband wont get squashed by someone putting seat back hes just over 6ft so not much leg room! We fly again in 2 weeks and will hopefully get seats together again we are flying with our 8 and 11 year old and flying with thomas cook this year from birmingham.
We always get to the airport early and check before anyone else it seems its just the coming back i worried about.
Please bear in mind some airlines now pre-assign seating before check-in. Refer to page 1 for more details.

Darren
I flying on a thomson flight to Tunisia in just over 2 weeks and getting worried now as some people in the thread are saying Thomson allocated the seats the day before so it may be possible that we will be split 2ad and 2ch and it won't matter how early we are at checkin
DAZZNUTTS,

It's actually the other way around! Seating is pre-allocated the day before using a 'best fit' computer model to try and ensure as many passengers as possible are seated together bearing in mind those who've opted for meals, pre-booked and pre-selected seating, and to ensure check-in is a slick operation. Don't worry. The advantage is you don't have to be at the airport more than 2 hours before your flight departs.

Darren
Darren,

DO you think it is likely we could be at either side of the plane
DAZZNUTTS,

I couldn't possibly answer that! I would say though you are most likely to get seats in a row, ie A-D, that then frees up E/F for a couple. It's unlikely you'll get A/B one behind the other unless you request them.

Darren
dazznutts

I really wouldnt worry, we have never prebooked seats in what must be 15 years of travelling on package hols as a family of 4 on charters, twice a year and I cant remember us being split up. I think once only I remember being allocated 4 aisle seats over two rows and this has been since the kids were teens and was actually quite a good arrangement for us but I cant see them doing this for those with young kids. Normally we are allocated as in Dazbos example above A to D, leaving two spare seats for couples. I prefer two with two behind but we rarely get that. Have a great holiday.

Doe :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.