Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Interesting point of view, but why should those without children have to suffer and pay? Surely that by itself would be some sort of discrimination against those without children?

Mark :)
Im not saying im 100% although im almost certain i am.

But the point is so me for example 2 adults and 2 children they can sit 1ad and 1child at one end of a plane and the other 2 at another OR 1 adult 2 kids together and the other adult somewhere else so for me pre booked seats is to get my whole family together.
Even if vicky06 is correct they state thats seats together could be over an aisle or even in front of each other...thats not exactly next to each other if you ask me...so I personally would always make the payment if you want them next to you and not over a aisle if money isnt a problem for yourself as I know if starts to get a bit pricey when you pick your seat.

David
We've never paid for sitting together, but we're always at the front of the check in queue when it opens. Only once did we have to sit apart, & that was on an Easy Jet flight, when no seats are allocated. There's 6 of us going to the Dom Rep this year & we'll be at the check in as soon as it opens. Hopefully we'll get seats together, we can then have a game of cards etc.
Helen the problem with that is now some airlines pre allocate seats the day before you fly, so no matter how early or late you check in you would be given which ever seats they have pre allocated.
Im not sure which airlines do or dont use this system thou.

I pre book my seats and still check in mega early lol i just like to know im there and checked in, then i can relax and have a pre flight drink!
I never bother paying to sit together, but get to the check in early so it's not ever been a problem to get seats together. However, last month going with Globespan we were almost first at the check in and were told that our seats had already been allocated as we were a "big group". There were 4 of us!!! Apparently more than 3 is considered to be a big group, although I have never heard this before. It wasn't an issue as we were allocated 3 seats and an aisle seat, but we would have preferred 2 together with 2 behind (so that I can sit behind my daughters, knowing that they will not recline their seats! :rofl
I dont see it as discrimination, I would not want to sit next to a young child who I didnt know on a plane, obviously as an adult you are able to occupy youself where as most children need occupying, there are lots of things in life that we do not allow children to do, so seating them with a parent seems a no brainer Mark J,

And if aisle seats are consider as sitting together how can you be sure when you pay for sitting together you wont be allocated aisle seats? David

Incidentally on a flight with iberian airlines we were a party of 5, 2 adults 3 children 15, 12, 7, they split us all up, wasnt overly worried about older 2 but didnt think it was right for 7 year old on a 2 hour flight although nothing could be done at check in (flight was packed)
once on plane stewardess manage to sort out a seat for my wife and 7 year old together, so it can happen,

Still would be interested to know if it is avation law for definite
Whilst it makes sense for children to indeed sit with their parents, the point I was getting across is that why should I have to pay to sit with my wife whilst the parents with their kids don't have to pay for this priviledge?

Either all do or all don't pay for this "right" to sit next to each other.

I don't think that it is law, but rather a recommendation. If it was law, the likes of Easyjet or Ryanair wouldn't have the famous "scrums" for the seats.

Mark :)
antenna
And if aisle seats are consider as sitting together how can you be sure when you pay for sitting together you wont be allocated aisle seats?

Unless airlines have changed their minds about what constitutes 'sitting together' even if you pay for this option, you may still be allocated aisle seats.

Thomas Cook definitely pre-allocated seats on our Turkey flight from Stansted a month ago, so it may be reasonable to assume that this is standard practice for them across the board.
I think Dazbo may have mentioned that First Choice do this too.
I don't think it can be law - how would airlines cope with unaccompanied children under 16 ?

I would guess that most airlines will attempt to sit parties together but if it's a piece of computer software making that determination rather than a check in clerk..................................

John
antenna

And if aisle seats are consider as sitting together how can you be sure when you pay for sitting together you wont be allocated aisle seats? David

because when I book, I use your seat your choice, that's how i know...
I didnt say it was Law, i was just saying i thought it was a policy most airlines adopted thats all.
Equally im not prepared to take the risk so pay for my seats togther.
In a lot of cases they would have to sit you over the aisle especially any group bigger than 3 people...like us.
Id still rather be sat accross an aisle than the opposite end of the plane.
duffnufc
antenna asked this qustion:
And if aisle seats are consider as sitting together how can you be sure when you pay for sitting together you wont be allocated aisle seats?

and you replied:
because when I book, I use your seat your choice, that's how i know...

But you're not just paying for 'sitting together'.
You're paying an additional premium on top of the 'sitting together' charge to ensure you get the actual seats you want.

The reality is, antenna, if you pay for 'sitting together' you may be split across the aisle.
If you really want to be sat side-by-side, you'll need to do as duffnufc does and pay extra to choose your specific seats.
Even if vicky06 is correct they state thats seats together could be over an aisle or even in front of each other...thats not exactly next to each other if you ask me...so I personally would always make the payment if you want them next to you and not over a aisle if money isnt a problem for yourself as I know if starts to get a bit pricey when you pick your seat.

If you read original post then the question below would not need asked? Clearly states if money isnt a probelm pick your seats so you get no aisle seat and previous posts before that I even posted prices and explained that they would be charged on top of seating together or premium cabin prices...

Prettypollycat

So I think I answered it before It even got asked...if you don't want a aisle seat then purchase the service of your seat your choice...simple.
So I think I answered it before It even got asked...if you don't want a aisle seat then purchase the service of your seat your choice...simple.

I don't think it's unreasonable of people who pay for 'sitting together' to expect to be actually seated side by side, not across the aisle, not behind each other.

The point I've been making is that many people DO expect to be sat side by side after paying for 'sitting together' - but they may not get what they expect.
Airlines are offering something that looks atttractive to certain people, but may result in disappointment at check-in.
It sounds like a lottery to me - and one which I would not pay for.

Whether money is or isn't a problem, isn't (to me) the issue here.
Although I could afford to pay for 'sitting together' plus 'choose my seats', I prefer to keep my money to spend on holiday.
My view, my choice.
Prettypollycat,

I agree with your point, however I am one of those which believe money is easy made and if paying extra money guarantees my peace of mind then I would pay for it, especially if a child of mine is involved.

just to some up the whole question...

Option 1 - Risk not booking any extras and you could be sitting at either side of the plane.

Option 2 - Seats Together- Could be over an aisle or even in front of each other.

Option 3 - Your Seat, Your Choice - Choose your seat and have complete peace of mind about where you will be sitting when you check in and get your tickets.

Prices vary on options so check with airline.

David
duffnufc
I think that's a pretty good summary of what options are available and what you might get.

I'm firmly in Option 1 (and always will be).
A really interesting thread.

Firstly I do think it is bullying and bullying of the highest order. It is praying on peoples insecurities and fears with the threat of being split up if you don't cough up. All through the 1960's 70's and 80's this practice was unheard of and everyone apart from a few stragglers at check-in got to sit together...no one paid extra.(although I will admit airfares were proportionally higher back then)

Secondly the key point that no one seems to have mentionesd is that sitting with children is a SAFETY ISSUE....in the event of an emergency evacuation a parent will seek out their child. In this scenario every passenger should be heading for the exit not looking for their children, this would clearly impede other people's exit from the aircraft.

And here's another scenario to throw into the mix, what if you're separated from your child and another passenger assaults them...who is responsible?
dan123,

Some of the points you raise are covered in CAA guidelines that airlines adhere to whenever possible. They are guidelines rather than regulations because it's never possible to guarantee parent and child be sat in adjacent seats, but the points you raise are valid. Airlines will always try and seats parties together for the reasons you mention whenever it is possible, they don't do it on purpose. As a youngster, I was split up from my dad but was well catered for in other ways even though I was sat towards the front and my dad towards the rear (for reasons I'll not go in to here). In those circumstances, cabin crew will generally intervene and ask people to move in order to keep families together. Some people will refuse to move though, I've witnessed it several times.

I think it's a little strong to suggest airlines 'bully' people in to pre-booking / specifying seats. As I mentioned on page 1, I've not pre-booked seats for years and if i'm travelling on my own, will sometimes specify the seat I want in order to get the window I'm after. I've rarely had problems. Due to the very nature of aircraft seat configurations, it's inevitable someone is going to be seperated or be across an isle, there's little that can be done about that. Thomson have a pretty good model and I beleive Thomas Cook are starting to introduce a similar system.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.