Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Sitting together
171 Posts
shrimper,

It depends who you are flying with as to whether seats are pre-allocated or not. Unless you arrive at the airport late for check-in were seating is allocated on a first come, first served basis, getting seats together shouldn't be a problem. Pre-booked seating together is more of a peace of mind thing than anything, or gives those who want to sit on a particular row the option to do so. If you're travelling as a couple, it's rarely a problem. If you're travelling as a family or larger group, you sometimes get split up, eg across an isle or one behind the other. It's inevitable some will due to the nature of aircraft configurations. If you arrive at the airport late, after most have checked-in, you get whatever seating is left. It's at that point were you risk being split up. Airlines don't do it on purpose, it's just part of flying and will do their best to keepyour party together when possible (part of CAA guidelines). I rarely pre-book seating together and haven't had a problem for years. Even then, it's always been attributed to being last in the queue because of arriving at the airport after most of the other (that's one of the downsides of package deals, arriving at the airport is out of your control when coming home). If I'm travelling alone or using online check-in, I'll sometimes select my seat so I can get the window I want but other than that, I don't bother.

Darren
only time the pendle witch and i have not been seated next to each other we were across the isle seats c/d which as it transpired was lucky for the lady next to me [a very nervous flyer] who i talked through take off /landing and the other odd noises in flight...

wizard
I think 'blackmailed' is a bit strong.

The way we see it is as a chargeable option - exactly the same as in-flight meals - which we can choose to either pay for or not.

We would never ever pay to be seated together, but neither of us are nervous flyers.
We've had pretty much the same experience as Wizard and have never been split up.
However, we often travel quite a way to airports (Gatwick is 190 miles) so we do tend to arrive quite early (often before check-in for our flight has opened) so we usually get our preference of window seat.

Our recent experience of Thomas Cook at Stansted is that unless you prebook your seat, they pre-allocate seats for you.
I wonder if this is a way of 'encouraging' people to pay for sitting together and for a specific seat?
If it is, it won't work with us - I'll forego the chance of a window seat on a 'first come, first served' basis and keep my money for my holidays.
...for the sake of what a pre-booked seat costs, I always book them together anyway and sometimes including paying for the other service your seat, your choice...like dazbo said it's just peace of mind.

I suppose if you want them guaranteed, then money must be spent!

David
Sorry Prettypollycat I have changed almost blackmailed to pressured ,the answers coming back are very interesting thankyou
As usual, I agree with Darren. We always get to the airport early at the start of our holliday and we book our tranfers to the departure airport at least an hour before necessary - that way, we are there before the tour operator's coaches, therefore no big queues, quick check in and more time to relax before the flight.
We have never pre-booked our seats and have always been lucky - touch wood!
I am another early bird at the airport, however I do tend to pre-book seats just for peace of mind, and when going Premium, I pre-pick seat (which is now approx 4 - 6 weeks prior to travelling), that way I can hopefully select the seat I want which is in the fron without anyone else in front of me. :tup
Shrimper
in what way do you feel pressured to pay for seats together?

How do you book your holidays usually?
If you are talking about booking with a high street travel agent or on the phone, are the sales people pushing you to pay for these extras?

We usually book on the internet so to us, it's just an option that you select or de-select as you wish.
Yes didn't mention it in last post, can't say I have ever felt pressured into buying seats together, its my choice, in fact I think I always ask them rather than they ask me.
prettypollycat
The last 3/4 years we have booked with cheap airlines and just about except the scrum to get on, this year we are probably booking with a package and the last time we did this we were split, after this i feel pressured to pay to sit together but i did wonder how other people felt, hence the question. We also get to the airport early.
if your on a Thomson flight it wont matter what time you get there as the seats are allocated the previous day on a best fit computer model, with most of the others it still seems to be first come first served [both of course are negated if you cop the akers for sitting together

wizard
Hi. This is not about sitting together but as a first time user of this site (and not being able to find my way to any other page!) I wonder if anyone knows the answer to a couple of questions? Flying to Crete with Thomsons tomorrow from Stansted (TOM 5708) and wondered what aircraft and seat layout and is there likely to be in IFE on this flight?
Thank you.
Shelley.
:wave:
shelley62,

Welcome onboard :tup
You'll find lots of information on our dedicated Thomson Airways thread and What Aircraft? guide. STN-HER-STN (TOM5708/9) are operated by an Airbus A320-200. These have 180 seats configured 3-3 with 28" seat pitch. IFE is posted on page 136 of the Thomson Airways thread.

Darren
The last 3/4 years we have booked with cheap airlines and just about except the scrum to get on, this year we are probably booking with a package and the last time we did this we were split, after this i feel pressured to pay to sit together but i did wonder how other people felt, hence the question. We also get to the airport early.

Shrimper
I see what you mean now, you're not feeling pressured to pay extra to ensure you're seated together by sales staff, you're worried that if you don't pay this additional charge, you may end up being seperated so the 'pressure' is coming from yourself.

I personally still wouldn't pay for sitting together, especially as you're getting to the airport early.
If (as Thomas Cook did to us recently and Wizard says Thomson do) your seats are pre-allocated, the worst you'll probably experience is being sat across the aisle from each other.
But everybody sees these chargeable extras in different ways and makes a choice that suits them.
So can anyone confirm if Thomas Cook pre-allocate seats before you even get to the airport?

I wouldn't normally pay for sitting together but some family are coming with us, but they are on a separate booking as they booked after us and its their first time flying so i think they would be more comfortable if they thought they would be sat with us. We were planning to get to the airport really earlier so that we could get sat together but obviously if they pre-allocate thats not really going to help.
Carter,

Up until recently, TCX didn't pre-allocate and it was done at check-in. It seems they have started to introduce it, maybe part of the rollout of online check-in later this year.

Darren
Thanks Darren

So can we just pay to make sure we all get sat together without going to whole hog and choosing seats as well? If so do you know how much it is?

I'm not really bothered where we are sat but it would be good if we could get sat with the first time flyers as i think they're getting a little nervous!
It may be a problem getting seats altogether if you are on separate booking references.

luci :wave
Carter,

As Luci mentions, if you're on seperate bookings, the pre-bookable seats option will only gauarantee those named on the same booking will be sat together. It can't gaurantee those on other bookings will be sat with you. In your case, it might be better to book specific seats so you know the ones you've got and you can choose them all together. More details on Thomas Cooks website. Up until a few weeks ago, you could check-in together and pretty much be gauranteed to be sat with each other, I've done it myself with them a few times. However, with the seemingly recent changes, that now won't be possible.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.