Forum Announcements

Announcements on changes and amendments at holidaytruths forums.
I can only respond as to how I used to 'tidy up' reviews.

They would be checked for spelling errors, grammar, text speak. Paragraphs put in place if necessary and any potentially libellous comments removed. Also members of staff names removed if inappropriate comments were posted.

These measures were taken simply to make the review easier to follow.
i cant find the quote Sagres used above, but i can certainly recall seeing Glynis editing posts for spelling etc as she always used to put an "edit" quote.
if that is all that is happening then i have no problem with it, but if reviews are being amended in any other way then that is an extremely serious matter.
perhaps the original poster can clarify exactly what changes were made to their review so all our minds can be put at rest.
a comment from the owners that there will definitely not be any alterations to reviews would also surely kill this topic stone dead.
To reiterate what Glynis has said, reviews will be checked for spelling errors, grammar and to make sure, well they make sense! And any comments that Holiday Truths could be made liable for are removed. If none of the review is usable then it will not be added to the website.

There are a few reviews that have been brought to my attention that seem to have been cut off during the move. We are checking the old database to see whether the full intact review is still there, and then we will update them.

So to clarify if you are adding reviews that don't have any comments that Holiday Truths could be liable for. Are spelt correctly, use the correct grammar and make sense then you won't have to worry about us tidying them up.
jimd-f wrote:
i cant find the quote Sagres used above, but i can certainly recall seeing Glynis editing posts for spelling etc as she always used to put an "edit" quote.
if that is all that is happening then i have no problem with it, but if reviews are being amended in any other way then that is an extremely serious matter.
perhaps the original poster can clarify exactly what changes were made to their review so all our minds can be put at rest.
a comment from the owners that there will definitely not be any alterations to reviews would also surely kill this topic stone dead.

Jim it's on page 15 PeteB.
PeteB wrote:
Hi Guys,

A couple of issues in "Holiday Reviews" which IMHO should be "Hotel Reviews"

1. Country Laos seems to be Laois on the site and unsearchable
2. Thailand/Bangkok/Shangri La - reviews have been shortened / edited. One of my reviews which was fairly poor, now manages to look acceptable. I trust that this will not be a feature and that reviews will remain unchanged unless they are untrue or libellous.

On a brighter note - it's looking good - Thanks

Peter

HI PeteB,

Apoogies for missing your post. (Thank you Sagres for pointing it out me).

With regards to Laois we have made it inactive for now as we had no resorts/hotels listed under it :)
Would you be able to send me the link to one of your reviews that appear shortened and I can check this in the old database. It seems that a few were chopped off in the move process. Not something we wanted would happen but with how many reviews we have there are bound to be a few mistakes! lol

One of my reviews which was fairly poor, now manages to look acceptable

Just to clarify this point we aren't changing reviews unless grammar is wrong or there are any comments Holiday Truths could be liable for. Would you be able be send me the link to this review as well please, so that I can check this also.

Thanks for your comments re the site glad you like it! :)
Cheers, Phil
Aslemma wrote:
I see my last post has not appeared.

Aslemma,

What was your last post?

A few people have said they are not getting the warning message when someone else was posting at the same time/just before. I am looking into this when I get five :)
Cheers, Phil
The country Laois seems to have gone from the review list can we have Laos listed now please?
Sorry just saw that you had deactivated the country :cry
HI Judith,

Was just about to reply the same :) Sorry it has been deactivated for now until we can get some content on it.

Apologies for any confusion.

Cheers, Phil
I mentioned that several hotel reports were missing from the Tunisian review section and also many hotels no longer appear, I also commented that now grammar and spelling were going to be corrected we would know who to blame for any errors which may still appear.
Aslemma wrote:
I mentioned that several hotel reports were missing from the Tunisian review section and also many hotels no longer appear,

The content staff haven't finished transferring everything over yet. My hotel and review aren't there either, however, as we've been informed previously that the transfer of hotels and reviews are still not complete I'm just going to be patient.

Aslemma wrote:
I also commented that now grammar and spelling were going to be corrected we would know who to blame for any errors which may still appear.

If you mean spelling and grammar errors then we will do our utmost to rectify both, however, we can't guarantee that we won't miss one or the other. We've always worked this way with reviews, and have done for years :que
madasharley wrote:
still no sign of my review :cry :cry

Please see above as we posted together. Mine's not there either yet.
thanks glynis i do understand it takes time and the powers that be are working hard. :tup
Hi Phil
Would you be able to send me the link to one of your reviews that appear shortened and I can check this in the old database. It seems that a few were chopped off in the move process. Not something we wanted would happen but with how many reviews we have there are bound to be a few mistakes! lol

The review that I mentioned is the second one on this page - althought the first one (also mine) is also shortened. http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/thailand/bangkok/shangri-la-hotel/

I also had two hotel reviews in the Laos section from November last year. These were the Settha Palace in Vientiane and the Kiridara in Luang Prabang.

Would it be at all possible to change the title of these reviews from Holiday to Hotel and it may also make sense to stop listing UK Towns as countries / Areas (perhaps sub divide into UK as prime country)

Please also note that the old Goa (which is still listed in the new Index, but empty) reviews are in the India review section. These used to tie up with the Forum country / region headings, but no longer appear to do so.

The old India reviews (including my review of the Leela Kovalam, from March this Year) is missing as is my review, also of March this year, of the Blue Water, Wadduwa, Sri Lanka. Many Thailand resorts and reports are also absent.

I'm sure that Glynis (who I hold in the highest regard) can suggest a format that is more like the old one - although many of the changes are a good idea.

I know that it is not an easy job to sort out and I don't envy you the task. Nevertheless I think there may well be a wealth of good information that is potentially going to waste.

If you do decide to change Holiday reviews to Hotel reviews, it may be worth giving some thought to Trip Reports (a formatted layout and an Indexing mechinism for Trip reports, perhaps), which often appear on the forums. These also tend to contain great information for the whole trip and tend to be (certainly in the Far East) regional / country based rather than resort based. See http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/forum/laos-vientiane-luang-prabang-t154340.html which had links to my old Laos Hotel Reviews

OK that will keep you going for this evening - best not hold you up ;)

Peter
Hi Peter,

Please accept my apologies if I miss any of your raised points!

Firstly the link you gave me to your reviews has been sorted! I can see whats gone wrong and I know why. I just need to think of a way to fix them all without rechecking them! Leave this with me :)
If you find any more of your broken reviews please PM me the link, this extends to everyone else obviously.

Which title are you refering to the breadcrumb title? This is they key term we aim the website at, and is linking back to the home page?

Do you have a link to the empty Goa? The one I have here looks ok? -> http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/india/goa/

With regards to tieing with the forum, the names might not do but we are looking to incoporate latest posts onto the hotel pages and country/region/resort pages to marry the site together if you like. :)
Any recent reviews are still in process of being moved, it will be done shortly and nothing has been lost :)
There is still lots to do, as im sure you can tell :) but hopefully with the help from the members we can find all the faults and move on with the new features for Holiday Truths.

I hope this answers, some if not all of your questions.

Thanks for all your feedback Peter,

Cheers, Phil
Would it be at all possible to change the title of these reviews from Holiday to Hotel and it may also make sense to stop listing UK Towns as countries / Areas (perhaps sub divide into UK as prime country)

I also find the drop down list in the search box a bit messy. In the top box we have towns, counties and countries all listed together e.g. Bridgend, west midlands and China :think I think it would be more user friendly to have the top dropdown for the country then the middle one with just town/resort and last one with hotel names.

Would it be possible to do a tidy up of it when you get time please?
Hi Phil

Do you have a link to the empty Goa? The one I have here looks ok?

Well, I never - the Goa stuff now appears as a dropdown from both India and Goa - mind you there seemed to be a few site performance problems a little before I managed to post :que

Which title are you refering to the breadcrumb title? This is they key term we aim the website at, and is linking back to the home page?
I believe that I mean http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/ .

Welcome to Holiday Truths,
a place for you to read unbiased, independent holiday reviews written by your fellow holidaymakers.
Why not share your travels and help others make informed choices when booking their holidays? Whether it's good, bad or just average we want to hear from you.
We look forward to reading and sharing your reviews!

Latest Holiday Reviews

Also the main search box (in yellow RH side) title - Browse Holiday Reviews

The old review section had both Hotel and Resort ratings, but nearly all comments were hotel rather than resort related.

I see that the new "Write a Holiday Review" page also breaks out to Accommodation and Resort, so perhaps my earlier, in this post and the last, references to "Hotel" should really have been "Accommodation"

The difficulty with a "HolidayReview" is that a holiday may comprise many elements - a difficult one to resolve. I firmly believe that the best way to make this meaningful is to post accommodation feedback (as this will be specific and may well reference resort or area facilities. Overall Trip reports are probably best left for the Forum.

Hope this helps

BTW I'm impressed with your post "Posted: June 28th, 2012, 10:54 pm"

:D

Peter
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.