Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Just an afterthought, Glynis - if you do choose to return to Lagos for your September holiday you'll be there at the same time as us ( we will be there from 11/9 to 3/10 ) so we'll have to meet up for a Sagres or six !! :glynis
Hey, wait a minute, don't forget about Cabanas!!!!!!!
We will be there from 14th - 28th Sept..........share a jug or two of vinho tinto with us!!!!!!!!!
Now you are spoiled for choice, Glynis!!!
Seriously, it is such a chill out village and flat enough for walking around but it is small so you don't need to walk too far for anything.
Pay it a visit on your first trip and see what you think!
You always get a quiet nights sleep too as there are no discos etc.
Pat
:glynis

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:14 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oooooooo Carol I can't stomach wine - it gives me heartburn.

Those amongst us who read the posts thoroughly and take a genuine interest in what our beloved administrators prefer, will know that there's no way a promise of a jug of tinto is going to tempt her away from six Sagres'. :glynis :rofl
Oooooooooooooops!!!!!!!!! :whoops
Sorry, did read that but forgot........maybe I should stay off the tinto!!!
Mind you, It's all the more for me and she can share Sagres with my hubby!!!!!!!
Now there's a mind boggling thought !!!!!!!
Pat
:rofl :glynis :rofl
We've booked a villa in Lagos. It's at the back of the town judging by the map but the lady said that it would take probably 10 mins normal walking time so maybe 15 for mother :roll: I suggested we drop them off in the car at the marina then we'll follow them down........probably catch them up turning the first corner. :lol:

We chose Lagos again as our son of 22 is coming with us as well and I thought a village place wouldn't suit him. Plus mam (although she doesn't like pubs etc) is nosey and likes to people watch and have somewhere to poke around in of an evening. (Mind you she says she's just going to sit and read her books - but I can't see it myself)

Am hoping the weather will be ok then as well as the pool isn't heated :cry:

Am sure we can arrange a date :wink: Sagres for a few swift one's as husband calls them. :lol:
Hi Glynis,
It usually takes people about two days to fall in love with Lagos and decide to return, but you've managed it without having been there !!
The tourist train covers a part of the residential area at the back of town - if you can give me some idea of whereabouts your villa is I can maybe tell you if it is on or near the train route.
If mum likes to people- watch then the Amuras bar on the Marina is ideal for this and its only about 50 yds from the tourist train station.
As for the weather, there shouldn't be any need to worry - we've been going to Lagos in September for years and have always had plenty of sunshine with temps well into the 70's. It does, however, tend to go a little chilly once the sun has gone down especially if the breeze is off the ocean, so you'd be best to pack long slacks and something with sleeves for the evening
Have sent you the map via pm :D

Thanks.
Hi Glynis,
Received the map. Unfortunately your villa is not on the tourist train route, but the good news is that the villa is on the ocean side of the town and not up the hill at the back of town. I should think that, at a leisurely stroll, you're within 10 minutes of the Marina.
Your villa is in a very recent development and, provided all the infrastructure, roads, pavements etc are complete ( and they should be because the Portuguese tend to build the roads and pavements first and then dig holes in them afterwards for roadsigns etc.)it should be a fairly level and easy walk for mum. Once you're at the Marina you can use the train to get into town if necessary or, if you want to walk, the promenade is flat with plenty of seats all the way along and the stroll will take about 15 minutes to the town centre.
If you don't have directions to the villa and are unable to work it out on your June holiday, just shout.
:kiss Many thanks Sagres - I owe you a pint of your names-sake :wink:
Son of 22 is coming with us and is planning to have a wander out maybe by himself of and evening will he be ok going about by himself?
You're welcome, Glynis.It'll be perfectly safe for your son to wander about; in all the years we've been going to Lagos, we've only ever seen any trouble there on one occasion and that involved two drunken Scotsmen !! One of the reasons we like the place so much is that you can walk in the town at night or the early hours of the morning and feel perfectly safe.
The Portuguese youngsters all seem to be polite and friendly so I'm sure he'll have no difficulty in finding friends of his own age.
Any more questions - you know where I am.

:) :)
Glynis,
When our son was 16 he came with us to the "strip" area. He didn't always want to hang around with us, so sometimes he went off on his own and although you always worry, he never encountered any trouble and never got lost!!!
What I'm trying to say is that I think Portugal is one of the safest places to holiday in and I'm sure your son will be fine and have fun exploring the area.
You were also right not to consider Cabanas for him as it would be too quiet for someone of his age!!!!

Only 3 weeks and 3 days till we go..........can you tell I'm excited??? :hyper
Pat
Sagres,
The drunken Scotsmen were nothing to do with us......honest!!!!!
We've only visited Lagos once for a day!!!

Pat
Pat,
Wasn't trying to cause an international incident, honest - it just happened to be Scotsmen !! :lol:
It was probably me :wink:
Oh well, that's another problem solved then :lol:
Pat
:rofl
Thanks Sagres and Pat for your reassurances.

That's mam's knee and son's drink sorted out :lol:
sorry might appear thick but what kind of drink is tinto? :oops:
Hi Nasher,
Vinho Tinto is the Portuguese for red wine ( branco is white ).
Thanks Sagres,

Its just everyone talks about it and i did'nt know what it was. I like a cold glass of dry white wine myself. Ian my hubby drinks Bishops Finger(real ale) at home is there anything like that in Portugal?

Love Jen xxx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.