Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
no its me being dyslectic after driving for 13 1/2 hour shift....your lucky i could see the keyboard

wizard
driving for 13 1/2 hour shift....your lucky i could see the keyboard

Aww bless Wiz - Your a good 'un. :D
It's 48 hours since the last posting; it's not very chatty for a chat thread is it ?
Just thought I'd post this in case Wizard decided to close us down !! :lol: :lol:
Hi All. :wave

You right Sagres, no one is talking, how things with you? Just want to Thank you for all the help you have given me, really looking forward to the Algrave. It sound just like my cup of tea or larger in your case.

Lov Jen xxx
Hi Jen,
Nice to hear from you - for a while I thought I was the only one online.
It was a pleasure helping you and I'm glad for both our sakes that the " deposit " problem at the Paraiso has been laid to rest. I'm sure that you'll enjoy the Algarve - try and travel about a bit as the entire Algarve coast has so much to offer and the people are really nice. I know it's a good while before you go, but I'm really looking forward to hearing what you think of Portugal.
No doubt we'll be chatting again before you go. Take care,

Geoff
Oh don't worry I'll be back :twisted: I go in June so will be inundating everyone for hints and tips. :D :D
I wasn't getting at you, Glynis, when I said it was quiet on the chat thread.
With over 33,000 members to choose from, I'm not going to pick on H.T. admin, am I ? :lol: Despite rumours to the contrary, I'm no fool ( and before anybody suggests it, we're not putting it to the vote.) :rofl
Speaking of the membership, have you noticed how quickly the member total is rising lately ? We must be doing something right. :)
many thought that when we closed general chat the site would die, we have continued gaining members, and little things like this limited area for unrelated chat seems to fulfill the requirements of our members, but at the end of the day members make the site, and the hardcore of regulars make it worth looking at

Brian (wizard)
Wizard,
If that was a " thankyou ", you're very welcome !! :lol: :lol:
Although hubby and me just got back mid February from the Algarve, we are having withdrawal symptoms (??????????????) and although we have booked up for the last 2 weeks in September, don't think we can stand this freezing cold weather in Glasgow any longer. So I am now searching the web to look for flights to go back again at the end of May, beginning June.
Watch out all of you who are heading there for the first time .......the Algarve is addictive....we have been going there every year for the last 22 years!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy!!!!
Pat
:sun :glynis :sun
Pat,
We're in the same position ourselves - we haven't got anything planned until 3 weeks + in September, but are now thinking about a couple of weeks in May. The thing that niggles me, however, is that we booked September' flights together with the Christmas flights as soon as they were published and got really good prices; so, when I now check prices for May, they are working out at double what we paid for Sept. and Christmas and I'm loathe to pay for one pair of tickets what would buy us three or four trips next year when the flights go on sale.
I did suggest that just I go in May but my other half hasn't given her answer yet !
(The last bit's a little white lie - she said " :swear :swear " :rofl )
Yep.....I know exactly how you feel as we did the same as you more or less! I booked my Sept flights as soon as they opened (cheap as anything)and didn't bother about May and the price is double what we paid too for Sept!!! :bhead
I think I will just have to fork out as I NEED to get back for sun, vinho tinto and hubby just loves the cheap canecas!!! Believe it or not he is quite partial to Sagres!!!
Next time, as soon as the flights open, I am going to book for Sept and May!
Pity you go to Lagos and we go to Cabanas (next to Tavira, east side) or we could meet up for a beer or two....or three.........
Pat
:rofl :glynis :rofl
We have some Portuguese friends who own a bar in Lagos and who have offered us a room in their home, free-of-charge. What we're looking for now is some new friends who own a no-frills airline and the problem's solved !! :lol:
We have a no frills crate that would be very cheap to send to Faro
That'll do; what's the availability like for two weeks in May , preferably from Manchester :fly :rofl
We were late off the starting blocks when we booked our June flights as we didn't book until November. For 2 of us from Newcastle was £242.59 same flight today would be £357.72 :D

We usually take a September break as well but, have definitely left it too late - first week of Sept for 1 week - £617.72 :shock: However if we travel on the Monday (2 days later) we can go for £197.72

What I'm struggling with is, not having been to Algarve before, is where to take the 2nd holiday? Do we return to Lagos or try another resort such as Alvor?

I could book the flights now and wait until our return (8th July) before booking accommodation or will the best ones have gone by then?

Decisions, decisions :hmm

Also the above cheap flights are Mon to Mon so I wonder if we'll struggle for private accommodation for these days.
I think you will find there is a little more flexibility in when you can book this year Glynis, with flights from different parts of the UK coming in on days the Portuguese have cottoned on to the DIY holiday market and are much more willing to cater for it than in the past. :D
Glynis,
Things will have started to quieten down by September and I don't think you'll have any problem finding accommodation if you leave it 'til June to decide whether it's going to be Lagos again ( bet it will be ! ) or somewhere else.
I'd suggest you book your flights now as they rarely get any cheaper if you leave it, and, if you like Lagos, you should be able to find something while you're there. If you decide on somewhere else then the bigger resorts such as Albufeira or Vilamoura will almost certainly have vacancies ( unless this season proves to be much busier than the last two or three ) as they have a much greater capacity in terms of rooms than Lagos.
Monday arrival and departure won't be a problem as fixed changeover days are something that only seem to apply with package providers and direct bookings with owners of apartments and hotels normally, in our experience, are flexible enough to fit in with the requirements of the customer.
Glynis,
I agree with the others...... you will get accomodation no probs whatever day you choose. I know that there are flights everyday from Glasgow to Faro and most major airports in UK do so too. I would say get your cheap flights now and don't leave it till later as they will surely go up!!!
Once you have been to Lagos and if you travel to different resorts, you will find one that suits you. Can I suggest that you might want to try the Eastern Algarve for your second visit as it's different from the western side and from there you can drive over the Spanish border as it's only half an hour from places like Monte Gordo, Altura, Cabanas(my favourite place) and Tavira. Add on another hour or so and you will be in Seville which is well worth a visit if you have never been.
Wherever you end up, you will have a wonderful time in Portugal......the people are soooooo friendly.
Pat
:glynis
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.