Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
hi all just ordered some lira from travel fx at 2.55 free delivery and no commission .taken no chances dont go away until july but all rates down last year and now with new gov in who knows :)
Ruth if you use a CC to pay either collection or delivery you will usually pay a fee to the CC as currency purchase is classed as a Cash transaction. The cc charge is not for delivery .

Most offer free delivery over a certain amount . Natwest or TC have the best rate at the moment but it will depend on the amount you want as to whether you can avoid the delivery charge .
Anyone know the rate in turkey at the moment? you always get a better deal in turkey.
True you always get a better rate in Turkey at the time, the current interbank rate is 2.55 so you would normall get 2.48-2.50, You just need to hope that the rate is as high if not higher when you go, if the interbank rate drops you will also get less in Turkey but the same can be said for the opposite.

Dave
Seems the peak was a little too good to be true, it has since dropped back by .10 which is a shame, still the potential for a rise again but I think it'll hover around 2.50, which is still better than last year.
Lira really dropped last week, back into 2.40s now. I'm hoping for a rise but for some reason the pound is weak against everything at the moment.
Have a few questions about currency if someone could help me please. Friends who were in Turkey last year said that restaurants/shops preferred Euros to Lira, is this still the case or should we change money for Lira? Also as we arrive at the weekend will we get money changed easily or should we bring some Lira/Euros out with us? Thanks.
most places advertise their prices in lira/sterling/euros - you can pay in which currency is best for you but you will always get your change in lira and the shop/restaurant will use their own exchange rate - personally i think its better to get lira, you could end up losing out otherwise
Hi All can anybody help me going to belek in may been told to take euro's instead of lira
please Help
thanks janet

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
janet beales,

I would always take Turkish Lira to Turkey, but only enough for a couple of days subject to the exchange rates. It's been pretty good over here recently so I might have changeds pounds in to Lira before I went, but if not, take sterling and change it in resort where you'll generally get a better rate. You take euros, they are widely accepted but the pound against the euro isn't all that good at the moment.

Darren
that is sound advice dazbo that rate is always better there than here :sun2
Hi, can anyone tell me the current rate and as we are arriving in 10 days; is it likely to fluctuate much?
Thanks
Thanks for info but am confused as to whether I should be taking cash or travellers cheques or using the ATM. Which is best?
i always take cash too

i wouldn't like to rely on my ATM card over there - what if the machine swallowed it up??!!!
smurfitt,

It's really a decision for you to make. Personally, I would never rely on a card abroad. I've had too many problems with them and know many who have been left without access to their money when their card has either been swallowed or blocked due to the newer security systems. They're fine as a back-up plan, but I wouldn't take a card(s) as my sole option. Tavellers cheques are probably the most secure but bear in mind there are charges and exchange rates involved at both sides so aren't always the most cost effective. Personally, I prefer to take cash (up to a reasonable amount). I know it's not the most secure, but as long as you have a safe at your destination it should be fine. It's whatever you prefer though really after weighing up the risks at your destination.

Darren
Thanks, keep me updated on exchange rate please. It's 2:43 in the Uk at the mo.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.