Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
A guy that was staying in the same hotel as us was gutted that he had changed his money to euros before he came on holiday as the rate he was getting was poor. When i met him the poor guy had just got back from exchanging some & was sheepishly heading off to try & explain to his missus... :duh
Are the prepaid card ok to use, was looking at Caxton, have read a reports saying people have had things taken from their safe
I was wondering what the exchange rate is at the moment in Olu Deniz. Also are things priced in pounds lira or euros at the markets?

Merged with existing topic. Dazbo HT Mod
Dadooronron wrote:
I was wondering what the exchange rate is at the moment in Olu Deniz. Also are things priced in pounds lira or euros at the markets?

Not going to get a reply to this here as people only look here for answers
Prices in the markets are in Turkish Lira but all market traders will gladly take sterling, they normally ask where you are from then tell you the pricein your own currency. As for the exchange rate it normally higher than what you can get in the uk travel agents.

Alan
rate in turkey at the moment generally seems to be around 2.35 lira to the £
Is it better to spend sterling or lira in turkey. I have always used sterling before but dont know if i get a good rate when spending sterling in shops bars etc.

hi there i took some lira with me and the rest in sterling i exchanged the sterling as i needed it,while shopping at the market i used sterling that way you know exactly what you are apying

suzie :)
I think its best to take sterling but get it changed into lira once you arrive. If you pay for things in sterling you have to rely on the rate the restaurant/shop uses and you can bet you life it will be to their advantage. They are very quick with these tranactions and you get a bit lost with the calculations. In May some places were using 2 lira to the £ for ease which of course its not.
Hi, Going to Altinkum 2day, do you know if you can use £5 notes? I know we exchanged £10 & £20 notes when we were Icmeler last year but can't remember if we used £5 or not. many thanks. :cheers
Yes you can use £5 notes.

However, they must be in good condition without any tears and not defaced.

In my experience most £5 notes that are in circulation at the moment are quite tatty and worn, and therefore I wouldn't be surprised that Change Offices and Banks wouldn't accept them.

If they are decent condition, then no problem.
hello which currency is used most in marmaris ,what should i take lira or euro or both
last time i went to turkey i went to antalya and most places had prices in euro and lira and the markets just euro is it the same in marmaris
thankyou debbi
debbi79,

Turkish Lira is the most used in Turkey. However the pound and euro are widely accepted. You'll get a better exchange rate in resort than you will at home. I always take enough lira to last me a day or two and change pounds once I get there, if needed.

Darren
:thanks i think i will take £50 in lira and rest in sterling then
Hi
Does anybody know please the current exchange rate (TL/£) in Belek I know it will change day to day but was after a rough idea
Thanks
John
Does anyone know of any good GBP to TL currency exchange rates at the minute? (Preferably in N.Ireland)
Our tickets are in :tup , because we are 5* AI, I reckon we wont need that much money, so we plan on bringing £600 spending, in what way would we benefit changing it ie Lira, euros etc.
Thanks
Joy

rate seams to be dropping now,any reason for it other than it being end off season? in july we got 2.35 to the pound,going next Monday and seams its about 2.29 and dropping steadily.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.